Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parliament vote AGAINST sex education being compulsory in all schools! Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think sex education should be compulsory in schools?
    Yes
    86.56%
    No
    13.44%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    And that's the all-consuming veto as to why we should have the state teach kids sex-ed?
    Not 'all-consuming' at all, I've given many reasons in previous responses as to why I think schools should offer it

I fail to see any strong reasoning as to why schools shouldn't provide it as part of the syllabus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Surely parents should be teaching their kids about sex?
    They should, in an ideal world. But this isn't an ideal world and some don't. At least if it's made compulsory in all schools you can be sure the kids are at least getting something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cari98)
    They should, in an ideal world. But this isn't an ideal world and some don't. At least if it's made compulsory in all schools you can be sure the kids are at least getting something.
    But the responsibility shouldn't be shifted to the teachers just because the parents can't be bothered

ReputationRep:
    But the responsibility shouldn't be shifted to the teachers just because the parents can't be bothered
    And I'd be inclined to agree with you. But I'd rather have as many children as possible educated to a good standard by teachers, than a select few being well educated with the rest being poorly/partially educated or not at all, leading to teen pregnancies, STI's etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cari98)
    And I'd be inclined to agree with you. But I'd rather have as many children as possible educated to a good standard by teachers, than a select few being well educated with the rest being poorly/partially educated or not at all, leading to teen pregnancies, STI's etc.
    They're still children though, so I think it should have to be consented for by the parents. I wouldn't want my 11 year old child learning about sex without my say so

ReputationRep:
    They're still children though, so I think it should have to be consented for by the parents. I wouldn't want my 11 year old child learning about sex without my say so
    Oh yeah, my school never did anything like that without the parent's say so. I think it should be compulsory for the school to have the lessons, but it obviously can't be compulsory for every child to attend them, some parents just aren't okay with it for whatever reason.
    Although I'm sure the teaching is made so that it's suited to a child's age. I doubt that they'd offer anything too graphic for an 11 year old, it'd probably increase in maturity as the kid grows up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discobish)
    I fail to see any strong reasoning as to why schools shouldn't provide it as part of the syllabus?
    See my response on the previous page.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, teaching people that cars have air bags us more likely to make them go out and drive so that they can crash on purpose.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.