Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    We're going live! Are you a student, thinking about going to uni or a graduate? Wondering how to apply or what evidence to send us?

Kevin is a student finance expert and will be answering your questions about student finance on Thursday at 11am on Facebook Live.

Submit your questions below or ask them live!

Please be aware all questions will be answered on Thursday 9 February.

ReputationRep:
    hey what is the best student loan company to use or are they all the same?

ReputationRep:
    how is the amount of maintenance loan calculated? are outgoings used or is it just your income? also do they look at your cost of living in whichever uni u are going to?

ReputationRep:
    If you apply early for Maintence loan and use one credit card, can you change the card after results day if you change to a student account?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, In 2014, I did one year studying Media (normal tuition fees) as this was a foundation route to a full undergraduate course. From 2015, started a normal 3 year undergraduate course (different to my initial foundation year) at the same University. In total, by the end of my degree, I will have 4 years of funding from SFE behind me. My question is whether I will still be able to apply for money which will cover my post graduate degree (1 year masters course). I'll be 25 then. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    When is the starting date to apply for Student Finance? I can't find it anywhere on the internet, not even on the government website.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have chronics disease, which is an inflammatory bowel disease that has and still creates difficulties for me, such as having severe stomach aches, and other symptoms. I am an EU student. Will I be able for any disabled funding, even though I am applying for a tuition fee loan?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My background: I study as a full time, mature university student in UK. I get tuition fee loan and maintenance loan as well.

My question is hypothetical.
    If I started up a small company in UK while in full time education, would the fact that I am a company owner (shareholder) affect my eligibility for tuition fee / maintenance loan?
    Does it affect the eligibility at all, or is it purely depends on my over all household income, therefore until my income from the company (e.g. Ltd.) wouldn't reach a certain amount. If so, what would be that amount?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your questions. We're sorry but we were so busy that we didn't get a chance to answer everybody.

But don't worry! One of our advisors will be here soon to make sure they all get answered.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, how soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ross howard)
    hey what is the best student loan company to use or are they all the same?
    Hi. To help you decide if you would like us to fund your studies please have a look at www.gov.uk/student-finance and www.studentloanrepayments.co.uk.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie445)
    how is the amount of maintenance loan calculated? are outgoings used or is it just your income? also do they look at your cost of living in whichever uni u are going to?
    Hi . To be means tested we take into account your Gross household income. Outgoings and cost of living are not included however we do take into account things like eg if you are living away from home whilst studying.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aisosa)
    If you apply early for Maintence loan and use one credit card, can you change the card after results day if you change to a student account?
    Hi .

Yes you can change your bank account we will require 4 working days notice to change the bank details so that the payment is made to the new bank account in time.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by padamowicz93)
    Hello, In 2014, I did one year studying Media (normal tuition fees) as this was a foundation route to a full undergraduate course. From 2015, started a normal 3 year undergraduate course (different to my initial foundation year) at the same University. In total, by the end of my degree, I will have 4 years of funding from SFE behind me. My question is whether I will still be able to apply for money which will cover my post graduate degree (1 year masters course). I'll be 25 then. Thanks
    Hi.

Yes you will be able to apply for a Post Graduate Loan.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielleB3500)
    When is the starting date to apply for Student Finance? I can't find it anywhere on the internet, not even on the government website.
    Hi.

Applications for full time students should be available February/March . Please keep checking www.gov.uk/student-finance for updates.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busranergiz)
    Hi, I have chronics disease, which is an inflammatory bowel disease that has and still creates difficulties for me, such as having severe stomach aches, and other symptoms. I am an EU student. Will I be able for any disabled funding, even though I am applying for a tuition fee loan?
    Hi

We are unable to offer DSA support to EU students,

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary79)
    Hi,
    My background: I study as a full time, mature university student in UK. I get tuition fee loan and maintenance loan as well.

My question is hypothetical.
    If I started up a small company in UK while in full time education, would the fact that I am a company owner (shareholder) affect my eligibility for tuition fee / maintenance loan?
    Does it affect the eligibility at all, or is it purely depends on my over all household income, therefore until my income from the company (e.g. Ltd.) wouldn't reach a certain amount. If so, what would be that amount?
    Hi

We will not take into account your earned income from employment. We only require to know any unearned income your may have .

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your questions everyone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.