Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Do you want advice about student life? Ask someone with first-hand experience!

Rebecca is a placement year student working for the Science and Technology Research Council. She develops hardware integration systems for control of world-leading research facilities.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Thursday 9 February.

ReputationRep:
    Hi rebecca do you have any advice for soemone who is quite shy and nervous about settling in at uni?

ReputationRep:
    I was also wondering if you have any advice about how to eat well on a budget?

ReputationRep:
    hi, would you recommend a placement year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_1994)
    Hi rebecca do you have any advice for soemone who is quite shy and nervous about settling in at uni?
    Hi Matt,

I was very nervous about settling in and I was very shy at school.

My advice would be to try to meet as many people as you can with lots of different interests.

Most universities have got a variety of societies. Sports, games, subject specific, media, volunteering, book/film franchises, discussion based and many more.
    I found that joining some of these allowed me to meet people that liked similar things to me and many of them became my friends.

The other thing is that you may be living with other students if you are in Halls of residence. These people will likely be just as nervous as you are and so will be eager to talk to you and each other, and may become your closest friends!

It's completely normal to be nervous, it's a big new step going to university. But I'm sure you'll very quickly settle in and really enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_1994)
    I was also wondering if you have any advice about how to eat well on a budget?
    Hi again Matt,

Managing your grocery funds can seem challenging, but it's easy enough once you get into the swing of it!

Firstly, buying in bulk is usually cheaper. A 6-pack of crisps will be cheaper than buying one bag of crisps a day for six days. Larger boxes/containers of foods usually work out cheaper per gram than the small ones. You can check the labels in the shop - the price will be listed, then underneath in smaller writing it will tell you the cost per gram.

Secondly, in general, convenience costs more. Buying a loaf of bread and some filling to make your own sandwiches will be cheaper than buying a ready-made sandwich in a cardboard box. Cooking from scratch often works out cheaper than a microwave meal and it's often healthier.

Next, different brands are different prices. The supermarket own brand is usually the cheapest. However, you shouldn't have to always buy the cheapest! For example, you might be able to get a bottle of lemonade for 17p, but if it tastes awful, you might as well get the 30p option! You can experiment trying different products and see which supermarket own brand products are enjoyable.

Finally, watch out for special offers. Occasionally a deal may sneakily be more expensive than buying a different sized packet. It will take some maths but you can work out whether a deal is actually worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learningcat)
    hi, would you recommend a placement year?
    Hi learningcat,

I would definitely recommend it!

I am currently about half way through my placement year at the Science and Technology Facilities Council and I am absolutely loving it! I am gaining experience relevant to my degree and learning about what an office work environment is like.

This experience will help me with my CV and will hopefully make it easier for me to get a job after Uni.

The disadvantages are that you may finish your degree a year later than your friends, and if you get a placement job in a far away location you need to get used to a new place all over again.

Additional advantages is that a lot of placements are paid and also the experience will mean you are a lot less scared of the "real world" of work you may face after uni.

Overall, I think it is a very worthwhile experience and I could not be more glad that I am doing this!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the participation in the chat and thanks to Rebecca for her answers!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.