Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I be sure my girlfriend is 100% girl? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Mexicans are Mexicans. And again, we have another bias, I'm not sure what it's called, but just because one news article shows Mexicans getting upset over news, doesn't mean people always over-react to shock news, but one incident is being overly considered.

I still disagree. This is the internet age. Someone that lets an article scare them would be at the very bottom of the IQ bell curve, and I have no reason to suppose the OP is one of them. I don't know anyone like that.
    I'd say the stock markets and things like foreign exchange rates are further examples. They fluctuate over even with only remotely related rumours.

Mexicans being Mexicans would actually be a further support to my point - the average Mexican should have more exposure to violence than someone from most other countries, but they still freaked out over their very very first school shooting that happened at a atypical school that has a unique student body. I'd also say Britons rushing to get an EU passport in fear of needing a visa to travel in the future (very unlikely) is another example of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    The offside rule (in football I assume) is pretty simple.... :confused:
    You say that because you're a guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    The offside rule (in football I assume) is pretty simple.... :confused:
    I actually didn't know about the rule until I just looked it up right now, I agree with you. I don't see how it's not simple ??? If I can understand it in <4 mins then it can't be that bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I actually didn't know about the rule until I just looked it up right now, I agree with you. I don't see how it's not simple ??? If I can understand it in <4 mins then it can't be that bad
    I've always been fond of the thesis that it's more to do with men being bad at explaining it, rather than women bad at understanding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    I've always been fond of the thesis that it's more to do with men being bad at explaining it, rather than women bad at understanding
    That sounds a lot more plausable tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    I'd say the stock markets and things like foreign exchange rates are further examples. They fluctuate over even with only remotely related rumours.

Mexicans being Mexicans would actually be a further support to my point - the average Mexican should have more exposure to violence than someone from most other countries, but they still freaked out over their very very first school shooting that happened at a atypical school that has a unique student body. I'd also say Britons rushing to get an EU passport in fear of needing a visa to travel in the future (very unlikely) is another example of that.
    How many people heard the story about the intersex model? Now, how many people posted a question on a forum about their girlfriend possibly being intersex? I'm sure the latter is a small minority of the former. Even though it might be most likely that the reasoning for this person to ask this question is not based on 'reality' as such, that doesn't change the fact that this does increase probability of gf being intersex, because there is a chance that it is based on reality. I understand this is a little confusing (I'm not being patronising here).

I think the kind of panics you are talking about are real, but firstly, they aren't as big in term of percentage of population as you think (because of media only concentrating on the extremes, and it can take only small percentage of population suddenly changing behaviour to create big problems), and secondly, some people might decide they will get a passport or whatever but soon after change their mind, forget, put it off etc. Also, what's this intersex news story compared to the big events you are talking about, they are obviously more likely to spur the public to action.

Just some thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukeuser)
    How many people heard the story about the intersex model? Now, how many people posted a question on a forum about their girlfriend possibly being intersex? I'm sure the latter is a small minority of the former. Even though it might be most likely that the reasoning for this person to ask this question is not based on 'reality' as such, that doesn't change the fact that this does increase probability of gf being intersex, because there is a chance that it is based on reality. I understand this is a little confusing (I'm not being patronising here).

I think the kind of panics you are talking about are real, but firstly, they aren't as big in term of percentage of population as you think (because of media only concentrating on the extremes, and it can take only small percentage of population suddenly changing behaviour to create big problems), and secondly, some people might decide they will get a passport or whatever but soon after change their mind, forget, put it off etc. Also, what's this intersex news story compared to the big events you are talking about, they are obviously more likely to spur the public to action.

Just some thoughts.
    This explains this. And I literally said this,

(Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Your maths is a little bit dodgy, there should be about 1 intersexual in every 60 people, but the chances are 40% after 30 people, 50% of having found one after 40 people, and go up to 65% after 60 people, etc. More importantly, selection bias. A guy suspecting his girlfriend is intersexual is probably much more likely to actually be dealing with an intersexual than a randomly selected man in a relationship.

Anyway, I don't see what the problem is if she is, but it's probably something that'd have to come from her, if you're that close I don't see why she'd keep her past secret.
    I don't want my kids to be intersex v2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    This explains this. And I literally said this,
    Yes it does, and I must have missed it. Neither of these statements appear to counter anything I said. In a way 'this' and 'this' is saying the same thing in a different way, I guess I didn't notice that when writing it, but it doesn't change anything.

The fact that a small, rather than big, news story it enough to make someone publicly (on this forum) worry about the sex of their gf is exactly the point- it increases the likelihood that there actually is solid evidence of gf being intersex. (even though that likelihood still remains relatively small).

ReputationRep:
    I think OPs post is valid, he might have any reason to suspect it, regardless of the reason, please only post if you can contribute to the answer appropriately.

NOW, can all of you idiots writing about irrelevant stuff, please stop your arguments about who's smart or who's good in maths (or please take it somewhere else out of this forum).

Please answer OPs question.
    .. and imbeciles with dumb jokes about girls, keep them for your moms please.

I think Karyotype is a good option, anyone with any insights?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.