Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Want advice about a career in the science, technology or engineering industry? Grace is here to help.

Grace is Head of Talent and Skills at the Science and Technology Research Council. She has many years' experience of recruiting placement students, vacation students and graduates and has set up and managed graduate assessment centres. She has an excellent understanding of how to make a great job application and write a winning CV.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Friday 10 February.

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a scientist is there any possibility of doing a course in both?

ReputationRep:
    Hello Grace,
    I am an international applicant and hopefully, I will be starting uni this fall at Queen Mary to study Biochemistry. After graduating, my goal is to work in the industry as a research scientist.
    Although I have applied for the 3-year degree, I am also considering my options for transferring to the course with placement year. But I want to know: will I be at some sort of disadvantage if I chose not to do a placement year?
    And looking at how much experience matters these days in the job market, does getting a 1st class degree make any difference to the employers? Can it compensate for the lack of a year-long placement?

Can you also shed some light on where to look when searching for part-time jobs and internship positions targeted at students with no/not-much previous work experience? I have previous experience doing community service, an internship and contributing articles at a trend magazine (most of which dates back to 2014 and 2015) plus more recently a course certificate on MS Office (2017). I am just worried they are not recent enough.

If you can also provide me with more information about work experience, internships, voluntary work and part time jobs relevant to my course of study in any way, that would also be great!

I will be looking forward to your feedback.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student Money Week 2017)
    Want advice about a career in the science, technology or engineering industry? Grace is here to help.

Grace is Head of Talent and Skills at the Science and Technology Research Council. She has many years' experience of recruiting placement students, vacation students and graduates and has set up and managed graduate assessment centres. She has an excellent understanding of how to make a great job application and write a winning CV.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Friday 10 February.
    If you've got experience in aeronautical, how easy is it to switch sectors - perhaps nuclear or automotive?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopetodogoood101)
    in both what?

You'll probably get a better response if you're clearer about what sort of scientist career and courses you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopetodogoood101)
    Hi, I am not aware of a university course that covers both science and engineering. If you study a science degree, then you have a broad base to consider your options. One of which might be to study engineering . You will then have a clearer picture of your interests and where you think your future career will be. Good luck with your decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamihaTahsin)
    Hello Grace,
    I am an international applicant and hopefully, I will be starting uni this fall at Queen Mary to study Biochemistry. After graduating, my goal is to work in the industry as a research scientist.
    Although I have applied for the 3-year degree, I am also considering my options for transferring to the course with placement year. But I want to know: will I be at some sort of disadvantage if I chose not to do a placement year?
    And looking at how much experience matters these days in the job market, does getting a 1st class degree make any difference to the employers? Can it compensate for the lack of a year-long placement?

Can you also shed some light on where to look when searching for part-time jobs and internship positions targeted at students with no/not-much previous work experience? I have previous experience doing community service, an internship and contributing articles at a trend magazine (most of which dates back to 2014 and 2015) plus more recently a course certificate on MS Office (2017). I am just worried they are not recent enough.

If you can also provide me with more information about work experience, internships, voluntary work and part time jobs relevant to my course of study in any way, that would also be great!

I will be looking forward to your feedback.
    Thank you.

Hi

Thanks for your enquiry and I hope everything goes according to plan with Queen Mary. If you want to be a research scientist then a placement year is useful but not essential. If you are interested in working in industry a placement year is invaluable. AT STFC we employ 50 1-year placement students and 50 vacation students each year and they do find it really valuable, look at www.stfccareers.co.uk and you will find out more. Most employers take students with either a 1st or a 2:1 degree so that wouldn't concern me to much. Intern posts are advertised on employers websites, another useful site is ratemyplacement.co,uk that advertises a range of opportunities. For work experience I would talk to your tutors who will have contacts in the organisations they work with. I suggest you also develop a Linked in Profile and use Linked in to make as many relevant contacts as possible. Good luck with everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMeAMA)
    If you've got experience in aeronautical, how easy is it to switch sectors - perhaps nuclear or automotive?
    Hi, I am sorry but I don't really know the answer to your question. I know that at STFC we employ aeronautical engineers in the space division where they are working on space systems and satellites. You could try talking to the Royal Aeronautical Society as they might be able to introduce you to an engineer who has changed sectors. Good luck with your enquiries.

ReputationRep:
    do you have any good tips for writing a CV without much work experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie445)
    do you have any good tips for writing a CV without much work experience?
    Hi Jamie
    Thanks for your question. It does depend on where you are in your studies or your career. It may be that your academic qualifications are the most important aspects to show on a CV. Your CV should highlight your academic and other achievements that are most relevant to the job you are applying to. If you have been a member of any youth organisations or groups at school or university then these can demonstrate transferable skills. When I am interviewing graduates I often look for evidence of team sports as they demonstrate how someone understands team work. There are many different ways to write a CV so I would ask at the careers service for some guidance and then model your CV on the one that suits you and your circumstances best. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your questions! And thanks to Grace for answering them.

If you're interested in an engineering apprenticeship, Luke is here from 11am.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It’s almost the end of Student Money Week but there’s still chance to ask our experts your questions. Our surgeries will be open all weekend! Visit the Student Money Week homepage to post your question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.