Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the difference between engaging with customers and marketing to them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I have an essay assignment, based upon the statement:
    'Organisations should be engaging with customers rather than marketing to them'. I'm pretty confused on the difference between these two as they are pretty similar!

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeMeMo)
    Hey guys

I have an essay assignment, based upon the statement:
    'Organisations should be engaging with customers rather than marketing to them'. I'm pretty confused on the difference between these two as they are pretty similar!

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks
    Hey look at my great product, it's really good and would perfectly solve your problem. You should buy it

Why don't you tell me about your problem and we will see what the best solution is.

Is it obvious which one is marketing and which one is engaging? Hopefully not, because there are elements of both. Marketing to a customer is a form of engagement and engaging with customers, with the purpose of selling them something is marketing.

I'd say one of the key differences is that marketing looks at the customer as though they are simply a customer, whereas engaging looks at them as a person. Marketing focuses more on selling a product whereas engaging is about knowing he customer, knowing what their problem is and helping to solve it.

Marketing is about selling a solution to a problem, whereas engaging is about getting to know your customers problem, then selling them a solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Hey look at my great product, it's really good and would perfectly solve your problem. You should buy it

Why don't you tell me about your problem and we will see what the best solution is.

Is it obvious which one is marketing and which one is engaging? Hopefully not, because there are elements of both. Marketing to a customer is a form of engagement and engaging with customers, with the purpose of selling them something is marketing.

I'd say one of the key differences is that marketing looks at the customer as though they are simply a customer, whereas engaging looks at them as a person. Marketing focuses more on selling a product whereas engaging is about knowing he customer, knowing what their problem is and helping to solve it.

Marketing is about selling a solution to a problem, whereas engaging is about getting to know your customers problem, then selling them a solution.
    Ohh awesome. I get it a bit more now, thanks
    So customer engagement is an umbrella term, and marketing comes within it?

A side question, which is quite broad. But I'm struggling on a good method to find journal articles to write my essays around. If you had an essay title to discuss:

'Organisations should be engaging with customers rather than marketing to them'

What kind of search terms would you use to find journals and references? And would you find journal articles first to base points around, or make points first and then find journal artciles?

Sorry for all the questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeMeMo)
    Ohh awesome. I get it a bit more now, thanks
    So customer engagement is an umbrella term, and marketing comes within it?

A side question, which is quite broad. But I'm struggling on a good method to find journal articles to write my essays around. If you had an essay title to discuss:

'Organisations should be engaging with customers rather than marketing to them'

What kind of search terms would you use to find journals and references? And would you find journal articles first to base points around, or make points first and then find journal artciles?

Sorry for all the questions!
    Forgot to mention in my last post that I actually have nothing to do with business, I'm not doing it as a degree or anything so take anything I say with a pinch of salt. I could be entirely wrong of course

I'd definitely say marketing is a form of engagement, you can't market to someone if you aren't engaging with them in some form, even if that engagement is just them watching your TV advert. However I'm not sure I'd describe it as an umbrella term, because engagement is also a form of marketing. By discussing things with customers you are marketing to them. Less of an umbrella term, more 2 sides of the same coin.

Off the top of my head I'm not really sure what terms to suggest. Obviously marketing, engaging and so on fit fine but I have no idea what you'd search for besides. Maybe look for synonyms of marketing and engaging? Customers is of course a key point. Generally I'd recommend reading around before you start making points. The idea of reading material is that it'll back up your points. You can't form those points without the material in the first place. The idea would be to read maybe 20 articles, see what themes and key words pop up most and then focus around that. Not to come up with ideas and then look for material to support it. That'll create bias.

That said it somewhat depends on your essay format. If you are supposed to include your opinion in this then by all means formulate ideas first. Just be aware that you can't formulate ideas without something to base them on. You can't say the world is round without some information to suggest that. If you have an idea it had to have come from somewhere. So logically you are finding the sources and drawing conclusions from them.

Sorry I can't be of more help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Forgot to mention in my last post that I actually have nothing to do with business, I'm not doing it as a degree or anything so take anything I say with a pinch of salt. I could be entirely wrong of course

I'd definitely say marketing is a form of engagement, you can't market to someone if you aren't engaging with them in some form, even if that engagement is just them watching your TV advert. However I'm not sure I'd describe it as an umbrella term, because engagement is also a form of marketing. By discussing things with customers you are marketing to them. Less of an umbrella term, more 2 sides of the same coin.

Off the top of my head I'm not really sure what terms to suggest. Obviously marketing, engaging and so on fit fine but I have no idea what you'd search for besides. Maybe look for synonyms of marketing and engaging? Customers is of course a key point. Generally I'd recommend reading around before you start making points. The idea of reading material is that it'll back up your points. You can't form those points without the material in the first place. The idea would be to read maybe 20 articles, see what themes and key words pop up most and then focus around that. Not to come up with ideas and then look for material to support it. That'll create bias.

That said it somewhat depends on your essay format. If you are supposed to include your opinion in this then by all means formulate ideas first. Just be aware that you can't formulate ideas without something to base them on. You can't say the world is round without some information to suggest that. If you have an idea it had to have come from somewhere. So logically you are finding the sources and drawing conclusions from them.

Sorry I can't be of more help
    Thanks very much for all your help, and no problem!

Luckily with my degree there's no right or wrong answer, aslong as you justify it! Haha

ReputationRep:
    Ok, think about price comparison websites. Moneysupermarket.com markets the features and benefits of its services to customers. They simplify the process and can save them money.

Compare the Market engages with its customers by charming them with amusing characters and the whole compare the meerkat bit they have going on as well as free toys if people make a purchase.

That's the difference between marketing and engaging with customers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.