Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you go to a wedding if you had to pay for your own meal? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you attend a wedding if you had to pay for your meal?
    Yes - I'd happily pay for my meal at any wedding I'm invited to
    25.00%
    Yes - if its a very close friend or family member's wedding
    51.47%
    No - I wouldn't go
    23.53%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    So while I was booking my wedding recently, I came across a lot of wedding forums and one topic that caused a lot of debate and discussion was - Is it ever ok to ask for guests to pay for their own meals at the reception?

There were many opinions ranging from 'its always rude to ask guests to pay for their own meals' to 'I would only pay for my meal if I was a close family or friend who was strapped for cash' and then others saying they wouldn't mind paying at all.

So what do you guys think? Would you find it a bit rude to be asked by a bride and groom to pay for your own meal on the day? Would you go to a wedding if you had to pay?
    If you wouldn't mind paying for you meal, would you still bring a wedding gift? If you did, would it be cheaper than what you would have originally brought since you would have to pay for your meal now?

I personally wouldn't ask for guests to pay for their meals. Weddings are expensive yes, but there's always ways to cut the price down but I wouldn't ask from anything from guests. I don't think its rude to ask guests to pay for drinks but for a meal, yes. Me and my partner were strapped for cash so instead of fancy traditional wedding meals, we are going for a big buffet at a hotel instead. None of us are really into posh food anyway :teehee: it worked out a lot cheaper and the food is more down to Earth like us to save money again, we have paid for everyone to have a free drink on arrival but after that, its pay your own and all the guests seem fine with that and that seems a common thing.

I don't know if I would go as far to say I definitely wouldn't go to a wedding if I had to pay but if it were a close family or family member and I knew they were struggling with money, I wouldn't mind.

ReputationRep:
    Are they that broke? I wouldn't man. They're not a charity.

(Original post by Spock's Socks)
    So while I was booking my wedding recently, I came across a lot of wedding forums and one topic that caused a lot of debate and discussion was - Is it ever ok to ask for guests to pay for their own meals at the reception?

There were many opinions ranging from 'its always rude to ask guests to pay for their own meals' to 'I would only pay for my meal if I was a close family or friend who was strapped for cash' and then others saying they wouldn't mind paying at all.

So what do you guys think? Would you find it a bit rude to be asked by a bride and groom to pay for your own meal on the day? Would you go to a wedding if you had to pay?

I personally wouldn't ask for guests to pay for their meals. I don't think its rude to ask guests to pay for drinks but for a meal, yes. Me and my partner were strapped for cash so instead of fancy traditional wedding meals, we are going for a big buffet at a hotel instead. None of us are really into posh food anyway :teehee: it worked out a lot cheaper and the food is more down to Earth like us to save money again, we have paid for everyone to have a free drink on arrival but after that, its pay your own and all the guests seem fine with that and that seems a common thing.

I don't know if I would go as far to say I definitely wouldn't go to a wedding if I had to pay but if it were a close family or family member and I knew they were struggling with money, I wouldn't mind.
    In our asian weddings we give money to the bride/groom side dependent on whos wedding it is and this covers the total for food etc. However I personally would not wish my guest to pay for food regardless how posh it is.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't mind paying.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind paying, because I'm going to see whoever invited me. But on the other hand I wouldn't make my guests pay because I invited them and want them to be there. So....
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    As a bride I'd be embarrassed to ask people to pay for their meals. We're having a sit down meal ('breakfast') and then an evening BBQ. We're paying for a welcome drink, prosecco to toast and wine on the tables during the meal. The evening bar is pay for your own.

As a guest I'd happily pay if it was reasonable, I could afford it and I knew the couple well enough.

ReputationRep:
    It would have to depend on how much money I'd be paying. But generally speaking, I wouldn't mind coughing up.

ReputationRep:
    Yea? I mean, that's how it is...100$ for a plate plus gift money. I thought that's how it goes for every wedding.

i wouldn't pay but i'd bring my own food.i'd bring doritos,chocolate and croissants.

ReputationRep:
      If you're Asian it just defies the purpose of the wedding lol

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Spock's Socks)
      Another question I forgot to add - if you wouldn't mind paying for you meal, would you still bring a wedding gift? If you did, would it be cheaper than what you would have originally brought since you would have to pay for your meal now?
      Really depends who tbh. If its a close friend then going the extra mile is no harm but if its someone generic then I would probably skip on the whole thing entirely.

ReputationRep:
      No, what the heck is the point of that? The only reason why most people even force themselves to go along and endure someone's circus wedding is BECAUSE of the free food

Paying someone for the wedding THEY chose to have? Never heard of anything more pathetic. If you can't afford it - don't have it!

ReputationRep:
      If it's a close friend or family member then sure. Otherwise no. I can't afford to spend that much on a single event on top of transport, clothing, etc if I'm not close to that person.

My friend was furious I didn't go to her child's Christening because I couldn't afford to pay for the meal after. Even made a public post on FB dissing everyone who said they couldn't go due to the cost!

ReputationRep:
      I would only go to the wedding at all if it was someone I really cared about, or if I was someone's +1. I'd be willing to pay for food at the weddings of pretty much anyone whose wedding I'd bother to go to. The last wedding I went to was last summer, they asked for contributions to costs rather than actual gifts which I felt was reasonable- they're both only 20 and not yet established in their careers, one of them being at university currently (they've been dating since they were 15). It wasn't a particularly big event- just family and close friends, and I think that that's when it's okay to ask for contributions.

ReputationRep:
      Of course not. I bet the people who agree to paying are the same people that tip.
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Depends if I was close to them or not and of course the cost. I'd imagine if this was instated then I can imagine the bride and groom serving cucumber sandwiches and biscuits if people were strapped for cash and had to pay.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      To start with I thought "yeah sure I'd pay for my meal" but giving it some thought, I probably wouldn't bother going unless it was close family/friend just because of all the hassle of dressing up, getting there, getting them a gift etc. To answer your second question, I'd probably knock a bit off my present budget if they made me pay, I'm not the richest guy and I think that's fair.

I think it's a bit strange when you ask people to pay for their own drinks tbh. For my wedding we got a load of bottles of vodka, cognac, and some wine and put them on the tables for people to help themselves. Alcohol is one thing I think should definitely be freely available.

ReputationRep:
      I'd have no issue paying, but I'd be silently judging the bride and groom and all of their families for such shameful behaviour as making their guests pay :rofl:

(Original post by hamza772000)
      If you're Asian it just defies the purpose of the wedding lol
      I went to an Indian friend's wedding a few years ago and the dinner was basically a buffet of traditional Indian food, curries for days fam :coma: One of those occasions that you wish you took some tupperware for leftovers :lol:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WoodyMKC)
      I'd have no issue paying, but I'd be silently judging the bride and groom and all of their families for such shameful behaviour as making their guests pay :rofl:

I went to an Indian friend's wedding a few years ago and the dinner was basically a buffet of traditional Indian food, curries for days fam :coma: One of those occasions that you wish you took some tupperware for leftovers :lol:
      lol ive seen women put naans in their handbags

ReputationRep:
      I wouldn't mind- aslong as the food is good

I'd be embarrassed to ask people to pay though, I'd prefer to save up for longer.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.