Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you go to a wedding if you had to pay for your own meal? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you attend a wedding if you had to pay for your meal?
    Yes - I'd happily pay for my meal at any wedding I'm invited to
    25.00%
    Yes - if its a very close friend or family member's wedding
    51.47%
    No - I wouldn't go
    23.53%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza772000)
    lol ive seen women put naans in their handbags
    NGL, if I had a handbag I'd totally do that :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    NGL, if I had a handbag I'd totally do that :rofl:
    Yeah they probably took the curry too tho, they have their ways lol

ReputationRep:
    Convention is that the meal is provided but of course you can sting the guests with an extravagent gift list
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If I care about the person(s) being married enough to bother going in the first place I am not going to mind paying for the meal, and I would still get the same gift.

ReputationRep:
    That's really rude but I'd probably pay. I'd definitely think it's rude though
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Another question I forgot to add - if you wouldn't mind paying for you meal, would you still bring a wedding gift? If you did, would it be cheaper than what you would have originally brought since you would have to pay for your meal now?
    I wouldn't go as I couldn't realistically justify at a guess £50 (that's a bit over how much we re paying per guest for 3 courses and a couple of drinks) and say £20 for a gift for one day unless it was close family or a close friend although if I wasn't I don't know why they d invite me
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I wouldn't go as I couldn't realistically justify at a guess £50 (that's a bit over how much we re paying per guest for 3 courses and a couple of drinks) and say £20 for a gift for one day unless it was close family or a close friend although if I wasn't I don't know why they d invite me
    Have you wrote out your wedding lists, or are you going to write them? My partner's family keep telling me I need to write out down soon what we need but I dunno, part of me feels rude asking for gifts and I don't need anything anyway :dontknow:

I don't understand all these wedding etiquette and traditions :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Have you wrote out your wedding lists, or are you going to write them? My partner's family keep telling me I need to write out down soon what we need but I dunno, part of me feels rude asking for gifts and I don't need anything anyway :dontknow:

I don't understand all these wedding etiquette and traditions :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We have an Amazon gift list with a fancy toaster set on it but that's it. Honestly apart from that we just want to tell people to get us dolce gusto coffee pods
    Maybe an upgrade on something home related? Like cheesy cushions or something, people can spend as much or as little as they like on most things like that. I don't get most traditions either, I m not following too many of them
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    We have an Amazon gift list with a fancy toaster set on it but that's it. Honestly apart from that we just want to tell people to get us dolce gusto coffee pods
    Maybe an upgrade on something home related? Like cheesy cushions or something, people can spend as much or as little as they like on most things like that. I don't get most traditions either, I m not following too many of them
    Maybe I should drop hints that I'd love some bottles of Jack Daniels or some Yankee Candles then :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Would really depend on whose wedding it was. If I wasnt at all close to them then depending on price of the meal it's very unlikely I'd go.

If I was close to them then unless I literally couldn't afford it I would almost definitely go.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I should drop hints that I'd love some bottles of Jack Daniels or some Yankee Candles then :teehee:
    Sounds like a plan, you can never have enough yankee candles

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me once when I was very little we had a wedding invitation from someone and the venue was a really nice hotel. And I asked my dad innocently who will pay for the food and my dad affectionally replied, "the host of course, cuz everybody else is a guest and guests don't pay for their food".

How times change 😀

ReputationRep:
    I'd be kinda annoyed and surprised if i got to a wedding and was asked to pay for my own meal. Never heard of that happening before..

If you're too strapped for cash, go get married in vegas or something with no wedding guests ...don't start asking manz to start handing over bills at the dinner table..

ReputationRep:
    I'd never ask guests to pay, and hopefully I'll be in the position where I get married to provide food and drinks free for all guests.

However, I wouldn't mind paying to be honest.
    • Very Important Poster

Depends who they were and circumstances. Are they booking an expensive venue at your expense? I'd be more interested in the wedding. If they needed the money it wouldnt bother me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Would any of you ever consider this kind of approach for your own wedding? Or would you find it too rude to ask your guests?

ReputationRep:
    Would any of you ever consider this kind of approach for your own wedding? Or would you find it too rude to ask your guests?
    It would be utterly the most ratchet and shameful thing ever.

If you can't afford a big wedding, don't have one. Nothing is more tacky and inept than inviting guests to pay for themselves at an event for your own benefit.

The worst part of it is that it plays on the loyalty of the guests - if they are prepared to come to the wedding and go through the embarassment of paying - what is essentially happening is that the bride and groom (or parents) are selling tickets to a wedding. Just no.

If it were someone close enough to me that I'd feel obliged to go, I'd be close enough to tell them how utterly rubbish it is.

I had quite a good friend on undergrad who had a birthday recently, and her new boyfriend organised it - it was at a fairly expensive bar. Guests were invited, and there was nothing about free drinks - so the expectation was clearly that guests paid for their own. It was a birthday, so no big deal. However, at the end, the boyfriend revealed that the booking was contingent on there being a minimum spend, which hadn't been met, and he went round asking all the guests to split the cost. Just about everyone felt they couldn't put our friend through the social embarassment of arguing about it at her do, and we just paid. However, as far as I know, pretty much everyone cut ties with her afterwards - because if you are going to strap yourself to that kind of behaviour, you can't complain when there are consequences.

ReputationRep:
    It's a question of appropriateness, isn't it? They of course have a right to ask people to pay, but it's in very poor taste to do so. It puts people in a position of either having to accept the reception invitation but shell out more than they can perhaps afford, or decline the reception because of financial reasons and thus miss out on half the wedding. I can see people being both aggrieved and offended by it.

I entirely understand that wedding costs can spiral out of control quickly and have some sympathy with a bridal couple who have an eye on their wedding budget, but surely the answer is putting on a more modest buffet or something and keep the costs down that way, rather than putting on some lavish affair that they can't really afford, and having to get the guests to sub in.

Cutting coats according to cloth springs to mind.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Weddings are the most boring self-indulgent, events known to humanity, I literally only go when dragged there for the free food. I just do not want to watch some dumb schmuck get dragged up the isle by some lazy gold digging **** so she can get fat while he busts his ass at work supporting her vapid and pointless existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    No.

Weddings are the most boring self-indulgent, events known to humanity, I literally only go when dragged there for the free food. I just do not want to watch some dumb schmuck get dragged up the isle by some lazy gold digging **** so she can get fat while he busts his ass at work supporting her vapid and pointless existence.
    But what's your actual view on marriage...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.