Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you go to a wedding if you had to pay for your own meal? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you attend a wedding if you had to pay for your meal?
    Yes - I'd happily pay for my meal at any wedding I'm invited to
    25.00%
    Yes - if its a very close friend or family member's wedding
    51.47%
    No - I wouldn't go
    23.53%

ReputationRep:
    Food is literally the only thing good about a wedding, esp Indian ones and I don't even want to go when the food is free lmao

ReputationRep:
    No, I think it's very rude to demand your guests to pay for basically coming to celebrate with you. I'll give them adequate gift/money but i wouldn't pay the restaurant directly.
    People don't have to have a wedding, but if they chose to have one, they should be able to afford it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    x
    Good luck for the day btw! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Not only did I have to pay for my meal, she even made me go to my wedding.

Sometimes I don't know why I married her.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've been to a wedding where the bride (my uni tutor) and groom couldn't afford to pay for me and my two friends (they wanted to invite all three of us) to eat as part of their wedding reception. It had been a hard year for them financially, with lots of unexpected outgoing expenditures, etc.

My uni tutor explained the situation and was very apologetic. Given that it was awkward/weird enough being invited to her wedding and that had we attended the actual wedding meal, we would have had to make awkward small talk with lots of people, I think myself and my friends were quite grateful that we hadn't been included in that part. We attended the ceremony and the canapes, took some photos and then left to find our own food. It had been made clear that we were welcome back for the dancing etc. in the evening but we just went home because we felt awkward enough about being there

In that instance, I was happy to forego the meal because it was an odd situation anyway. Generally speaking though, I probably wouldn't attend a wedding where I had to pay for my own meal unless it was close family/friends and even with them, I'd probably bump a bit off the wedding present price. That's partly because of my cultural expectations as a South Asian, but also because weddings are so expensive to attend in the first place :eek:

ReputationRep:
    If they weren't family members or close friends then I wouldn't attend.
    If they were friends/close family members then I would go but honestly find it pretty bad etiquette unless I was aware of financial difficulties.
    If they were immediate family (i.e. one of my sisters) then I would try to help with financing the meals so all guests didn't have to pay - assuming they couldn't afford it. If they could afford it but simply didn't want to pay then I'd probably make them feel ashamed because that is just pure nonsense.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Good luck for the day btw! :yep:
    Thank you :hugs:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.