ReputationRep:
    Hello,

------
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way you can retake the GCSE? Otherwise no as you don't meet the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z4kee)
    Hello,

I received a reject from Surrey for computer science - 'Mathematics requirement not met' - because I got a C for GCSE maths. Is there anything I can do to be able to go to the university?
    either get a higher maths grade. by retaking GCSE with your school. Or apply for a foundation course if they do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dafock)
    either get a higher maths grade. by retaking GCSE with your school. Or apply for a foundation course if they do it
    how does a foundation year work? and can i still apply to it if I have all my choices taken already?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=z4kee;69751582]how does a foundation year work? and can i still apply to it if I have all my choices taken already?[/QUOTE

honestly i have no idea. Call surrey and ask
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by z4kee)
    how does a foundation year work? and can i still apply to it if I have all my choices taken already?
    Why did you apply if you didnt meet the requirements? There is no course at Surrey with a foundation year. Just take your GCSE again.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, you applied to unis without the maths grade when you didn't check if they needed it or not?

oh dear

ReputationRep:
    The first thing I'd urge you to think about is why you got the C grade to begin with. Computer Science is a mathematically intensive course and the requirement is there for a reason: if you struggle with Maths, you're not likely to do very well even if you were accepted. Is it the case that you genuinely struggled with it, or was there some sort of extenuating circumstance with the coursework/exam?

(I say this not just to give advice; if you do retake unis will still be able to see that you originally failed to meet the requirement and will likely want to know why )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Wait, you applied to unis without the maths C grade when you didn't check if they needed it or not?

oh dear
    in the university brochure it said C at GCSE Maths and English..
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z4kee)
    A foundation year is a year in which you study the basics for your degree. It is taken if want to study a course (e.g. astronomy) but do not have the required qualifications (in the astronomy case, A-levels in physics and maths). Sometimes, mature students, those who have not been in education for a long time, international students without a good command of English or people who found a new passion for something after they did their level 3 course in something unrelated (A-levels, BTEC level 3, etc) do a foundation year. So, instead of taking three years to complete your degree, you would take four since you would do a foundation year beforehand.

You can only apply if you swap out an option or through extra or clearing, I think. Unless you can pay an additional fee for a sixth option.

I see you got the C in maths and English that they require, so you may want to ask them why they rejected you when you meet their criteria.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by z4kee)
    It says B on the website. Mind you it seems a bit naff being rejected for your GCSE grade when you will need a B or above at A level.

If the brochure was different from the website then point out the discrepancy as they have made you waste a choice.

Name:  surrey computer.PNG
Views: 139
Size:  9.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z4kee)
    Their website and ucas are the sources that matter, a brochure isn't going to get updated regularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z4kee)
    Hello,

I received a reject from Surrey for computer science - 'Mathematics requirement not met' - because I got a C for GCSE maths. Is there anything I can do to be able to go to the university?
    Are you studying A level Maths?

It is a course requirement ... I think that is why they have rejected you.

ReputationRep:
    During clearing university tend to bring down there entry requirements. So you can try then but it was silly applying to a university you don't have the requirements for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.