The Student Room Group

Calling all students who are doing the edexcel maths 9-1 higher exam in May

How are you revising for the exam? My teacher is going to enter me for higher tier rather than foundation because he thinks that I am capable to do it and that it will be easier for me to get at least a grade 5 in. I'm hoping to get a 6 with hard work.

Would it be worth doing some of the higher papers from the old spec? Or am I wasting my time?
Of course you can do papers of the old spec, they're still useful. But be sure to get good practice in doing the new topics in the 9-1 exam, and also be prepared to do more problem solving type questions.
Original post by JackT2000
How are you revising for the exam? My teacher is going to enter me for higher tier rather than foundation because he thinks that I am capable to do it and that it will be easier for me to get at least a grade 5 in. I'm hoping to get a 6 with hard work.

Would it be worth doing some of the higher papers from the old spec? Or am I wasting my time?

Well everyones just doung revision notes + past papers + practice questions. Which is essientially the only way to get better at it
Reply 3
Original post by Popsiclez
Well everyones just doung revision notes + past papers + practice questions. Which is essientially the only way to get better at it

When you say past papers do you mean ones from the old spec?

And where do you get all of your revision material for maths?
Reply 4
Original post by BobBobson
Of course you can do papers of the old spec, they're still useful. But be sure to get good practice in doing the new topics in the 9-1 exam, and also be prepared to do more problem solving type questions.

What are the new topics?

Plus where can I get hold of these "problem solving questions"?
Original post by JackT2000
When you say past papers do you mean ones from the old spec?

And where do you get all of your revision material for maths?

Erm well for me my school gave us a revision cd and a special revision textbook filled with exam style questions but also topics you can revise, I also mostly good Edexcel Past Maths exam questions, or go onto the edexcel website and do a paper, I'm not sure if its new or old spec but practice is practice right, plus the cd and textbook they gave is especially made in mind for the new spec.
Khanacademy and Solomon Papers for me! Also numberphile helps a bit.
There's a fat ass edexcel Pearson textbook which has everything you could ever need in it, do that and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest