Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will drinking protein shakes stop me from getting thinnner? Watch

Announcements
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Over the christmas period i started using Stripfast protein shakes as a meal replacement for lunch, just to budge some the xmas weight since i was away from the gym for a month since had gone home for the holidays. However now i'm back at university and going gym 5/6 days a week of mostly intense cardio and i still drink one shake a day (to finish the tub and also because i was told it helps with muscle repair). However my friend just said how i wont get thinner if i keep drinking it?I'm confused as didn't think would make a difference :/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Protein shakes are low in calories and thus will be helping you as a meal replacement.

Track calories using 'myfitnesspal' (free app). Job done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~)
    Over the christmas period i started using Stripfast protein shakes as a meal replacement for lunch, just to budge some the xmas weight since i was away from the gym for a month since had gone home for the holidays. However now i'm back at university and going gym 5/6 days a week of mostly intense cardio and i still drink one shake a day (to finish the tub and also because i was told it helps with muscle repair). However my friend just said how i wont get thinner if i keep drinking it?I'm confused as didn't think would make a difference :/
    If you're still using it as a meal replacement, then I don't see why you would gain or lose weight. I'd be more worried that you're missing out on nutrients and fibre from whole foods.

If you're just drinking it between meals without any muscles to be repaired, then you'll gain weight, since the protein will be converted to fat.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the ingredients. If it has sweeteners added to it, it could give you craving which might make you more prone to overeating. But it's not fattening in and of itself.
    Usually protein does the opposite... it fills you up and satisfies you for longer which makes you crave less. I use unflavoured protein, though, so I'm not sure whether flavoured kinds affect craving. As others say, you'll be wanting to make sure you get in nutritious foods too...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    If you're still using it as a meal replacement, then I don't see why you would gain or lose weight. I'd be more worried that you're missing out on nutrients and fibre from whole foods.

If you're just drinking it between meals without any muscles to be repaired, then you'll gain weight, since the protein will be converted to fat.
    Agree with first paragraph but it won't be converted to fat unless OP is in a calorific surplus.

So in other words, if using a protein shake is keeping your hunger at bay then stick at it.

But if you do use weights as well then you'll do even better and with a bit of dreaded cardio thrown in you can eat far more.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~)
    If you're in a caloric deficit then you'll be losing weight, if not then you'll be stable or gaining weight. Only way to find out is weighing yourself and counting calories.

Be careful that your other meals are nutrient dense - lots of veg etc.

(Original post by Kagutsuchi)

You can't put on fat if you're in a caloric deficit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    You can't put on fat if you're in a caloric deficit
    I concur wholeheartedly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    Agree with first paragraph but it won't be converted to fat unless OP is in a calorific surplus.

So in other words, if using a protein shake is keeping your hunger at bay then stick at it.

But if you do use weights as well then you'll do even better and with a bit of dreaded cardio thrown in you can eat far more.
    I concur wholeheartedly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.