ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Willy Pete)
      I wouldn't get married. So no.
      Why not?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SilverWater)
      No.
      My life . My choice.
      What if that was the only thing that would make your mother or father happy?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by emerald7770)
      Why not?
      With 50% of marriages ending in divorce and having seen my parent's divorce take 15 years to settle (from papers being signed to final court hearing) I would rather not risk going through all of that again.

ReputationRep:
      Arranged marriage certainly has changed from previous generations where you would show up to your own wedding and only see your husband or wife at that point.

Now people actually have a choice. They can reject or accept proposals and there is usually a courtship period so you do know the person well before marrying them.

I don't see any problem with the new style of arranged marriage and will probably have one.

ReputationRep:
      With 50% of marriages ending in divorce and having seen my parent's divorce take 15 years to settle (from papers being signed to final court hearing) I would rather not risk going through all of that again.
      Ah well okay good on you

ReputationRep:
      If i stayed Moslem my parents would have forced me.

ReputationRep:
      Never

ReputationRep:
      Think a better question would be would you be willing to marry someone you don't want to and be miserable the rest of your your life to make your parents happy?

The answer is still no. Imo you have one life and finding your other half is a challenge of life and the only way to conquer that challenge is if you can say to yourself I chose this person because I think this person is amazing rather to satisfy the "externalites".

Just my two cents.

ReputationRep:
      Ah well okay good on you
      The odds are not in your favour.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SGHD26716)
      Arranged marriage certainly has changed from previous generations where you would show up to your own wedding and only see your husband or wife at that point.

Now people actually have a choice. They can reject or accept proposals and there is usually a courtship period so you do know the person well before marrying them.

I don't see any problem with the new style of arranged marriage and will probably have one.
      That's actually so true. I think the reason why most people avoid it is probably because they think people would speak low of them. "Wow no guy actually loves her, her parents had to find one for her" idk

ReputationRep:
      lol I'm sure theres a lot of other things that can make them happy. They were happy before you were born.

ReputationRep:
      That's actually so true. I think the reason why most people avoid it is probably because they think people would speak low of them. "Wow no guy actually loves her, her parents had to find one for her" idk
      I don't know. Certainly from an Indian perspective, arranged marriage is seen as the better option.

ReputationRep:
      The odds are not in your favour.
      Well, my parents have been married for 30 years so I don't know. I think marriage is good. The divorcing process is long and tiring but that 50% is mostly people who divorce because of tiny reasons that they can easily sort out. Lol.
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Nope, I want to marry whoever I want and find someone of my preference, I think an arranged marriage for me is the wrong choice.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by LisaNikita)
      If i stayed Moslem my parents would have forced me.
      Ha funny

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by zayn008)
      Never
      Why not?

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.