Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so today, i went and had my yearly eyetest and found out my eyesight had got worse, which i was told was normal for a growing teen. mine is at minus 8 which is very bad, bad eyesight runs in the family but im only 17 im fearful of what might happen in the future. is it possible for eyesight to improve naturally its too late for laser

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King_ajk)
    so today, i went and had my yearly eyetest and found out my eyesight had got worse, which i was told was normal for a growing teen. mine is at minus 8 which is very bad, bad eyesight runs in the family but im only 17 im fearful of what might happen in the future. is it possible for eyesight to improve naturally its too late for laser
    If bad eyesight runs in the family then there is no worry, I wear glasses and now I sometimes get in the shower without realising I haven't taken them off, they are simple to get used to and a lot better than contacts as you don't have to poke your eye out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know too much about this but im pretty sure that eyesight can improve and that there are certain eye exercises that can apparently improve vision. sorry i couldn't help more but search for the exercises on youtube or google or something like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipG1)
    If bad eyesight runs in the family then there is no worry, I wear glasses and now I sometimes get in the shower without realising I haven't taken them off, they are simple to get used to and a lot better than contacts as you don't have to poke your eye out.
    but i cannot see without my glasses its all a blur from far only way is if its up close like a book or phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoodPharaoh)
    I don't know too much about this but im pretty sure that eyesight can improve and that there are certain eye exercises that can apparently improve vision. sorry i couldn't help more but search for the exercises on youtube or google or something like that
    These exercises are not going to bring you up from -8 to 20/20 vision, it just won't happen.

ReputationRep:
    but i cannot see without my glasses its all a blur from far only way is if its up close like a book or phone.
    So you already wear glasses? No problem then, I always hated the thought of wearing glasses before I needed them now I find it no problem at all, just need to get used to them.

ReputationRep:
    These exercises are not going to bring you up from -8 to 20/20 vision, it just won't happen.
    obviously not but it can still improve vision

ReputationRep:
    obviously not but it can still improve vision
    Can improve vision? Just no. Stop making this up. I am sorry but -8 is quite a large eye problem. It doesn't really matter if they improve vision or not because his eyesight will still be bad nevertheless and as a result he would still need glassess. It won't really make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    Can improve vision? Just no. Stop making this up. I am sorry but -8 is quite a large eye problem. It doesn't really matter if they improve vision or not because his eyesight will still be bad nevertheless and as a result he would still need glassess. It won't really make a difference.
    ok

ReputationRep:
    It is due to bad eyesight and yes, I have basically the same symptoms.

At the moment glasses will become a part of you life where you will basically have to wear them all of the time. The only times when you don't wear them is when you sleep, shower (or do water activities like swimming), when being exposed to high temperatures like standing near a barbecue since high temperatures can distort/damage the lenses.

ReputationRep:
    ok
    Basically since he has a large eye problem, even if it slightly improves his vision it won't really matter since he will still need glasses.

Like when his eye improves from being -8 to -6.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My mother used to have really bad eyesight but as she's got older it has got much better. She doesn't even wear glasses anymore. She's 59 though so you have some way to go yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    Basically since he has a large eye problem, even if it slightly improves his vision it won't really matter since he will still need glasses.

Like when his eye improves from being -8 to -6.
    My eyesight improved from about -4.5 to about -3.75 in two years of working on eyesight improvement. My vision acuity improved a lot. However, I am sure it won't make any difference if someone improves from -8 to -6. I wouldn't even waste time on that if Lasik is possible. If Laser surgery is not an option I might consider working on exercises and habits to improve my eyesight.

OP, do you wear contacts?

ReputationRep:
    Wtf I thought this thread was made now lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    -8 and 20/20 are two different things. I'm -1.25 in one eye and 6/18 and -1.5 and 6/24 in the other. The - is to do with how shortsighted you are and the other number is to do with how many lines on the eye chart you can see.

ReputationRep:
    As you get older eyesight can improve - there are exercises you can do but I think the difference will be minimal.

Don't know why you think it is too late for laser - I was minus 7.5 in each eye and had laser two years ago.

I went to Moorfields because they are the best - it wasn't cheap but the results are remarkable. Unless you have something wrong with your eyes they should be able to do it. In the very short sighted they can replace the lens.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.