The Student Room Group

Should I drop an AS?

I'm currently taking 4 A levels - History, Economics, Classical Civilisation & Business. A-Levels are beginning to get stressful, so I think I should drop Business but should I do it now or wait to get an AS? Is there anything I can do to become more in control?
Thanks in advance :smile:
I would drop it now if you could! It'll mean you can focus on your other subjects and mean you don't have to stress about it.
Reply 2
Original post by rosie.mn
I would drop it now if you could! It'll mean you can focus on your other subjects and mean you don't have to stress about it.

This is my dilemma. I would drop a subject in an instant but I probably would've wasted my time studying it. The only reason I did 4 was because I had no idea if I would like Classics or Economics as they were new, and I've been torn between Economics and Business for a while. I've only just made up my mind.

Do you feel I would have wasted my time if I drop one?
Original post by lyd_kate
This is my dilemma. I would drop a subject in an instant but I probably would've wasted my time studying it. The only reason I did 4 was because I had no idea if I would like Classics or Economics as they were new, and I've been torn between Economics and Business for a while. I've only just made up my mind.

If you're feeling typhus way, I'd definitely drop it. I dropped chemistry, then I dropped maths and took English instead (this was in December) and then I dropped EPQ (which I had quite a bit of research for) and took up core maths. I'm doing 3 subjects (and core maths) and it is so much easier, and after a few days you honestly don't even care about the work you'd already done for the subject you dropped, you just focus on the fact that you can now put extra work into subjects you enjoy!

I don't think you would have wasted your time, intact you're probably saving yourself time. Imagine doing all that revision and hard work for business and it impacting your other subjects. If you think it won't hinder your other subjects, you might want to get an AS in it - but to be honest, given the meaninglessness of AS now, it wouldn't be a bad decision to drop.
Reply 5
I don't think you would have wasted your time, intact you're probably saving yourself time. Imagine doing all that revision and hard work for business and it impacting your other subjects. If you think it won't hinder your other subjects, you might want to get an AS in it - but to be honest, given the meaninglessness of AS now, it wouldn't be a bad decision to drop.

Thank you so much, I followed your advice and I do feel so much better! Now I've just got to get organised 😀😀😀
Reply 6
Drop business. Don't know why you decided to do it in the first place with economics but anyway, drop it now and at least next year you'll find theme 3 a little easier (it's based around business markets)
Reply 7

Thank you so much, I followed your advice and I do feel so much better! Now I've just got to get organised 😀😀😀
Reply 8
Original post by zayn008
Drop business. Don't know why you decided to do it in the first place with economics but anyway, drop it now and at least next year you'll find theme 3 a little easier (it's based around business markets)

Thanks, I've sorted it all out now :smile: I did it originally as I liked business and history best and liked the idea of economics and classics but couldn't decide. Now I find that business is my least favourite and classics is my favourite subject! It's weird how it all worked out :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by chloecrazy
If you're feeling typhus way, I'd definitely drop it. I dropped chemistry, then I dropped maths and took English instead (this was in December) and then I dropped EPQ (which I had quite a bit of research for) and took up core maths. I'm doing 3 subjects (and core maths) and it is so much easier, and after a few days you honestly don't even care about the work you'd already done for the subject you dropped, you just focus on the fact that you can now put extra work into subjects you enjoy!

Thank you so much, I've found that I'm a lot stressed already - glad to know I wasn't alone with this :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks, I've sorted it all out now :smile: I did it originally as I liked business and history best and liked the idea of economics and classics but couldn't decide. Now I find that business is my least favourite and classics is my favourite subject! It's weird how it all worked out :smile:

Glad to hear :smile: if you like business I'm sure you'll like theme 3, I personally did business and ended up hating it and dropping it around this time last year too. But it did help towards theme 3, and if you're interested in business it makes it interesting otherwise it can be exteremly boring (it's probably my least favorite unit) Just a heads up for next year :tongue: you might love it, you'll defiently love theme 4 tho
Reply 11
I'm currently taking 4 A levels - History, Economics, Classical Civilisation & Business. A-Levels are beginning to get stressful, so I think I should drop Business but should I do it now or wait to get an AS? Is there anything I can do to become more in control?
Thanks in advance :smile:

Yes drop it. The free time you get is brilliant

Quick Reply

Latest