Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Samsung has been in the news in the last week due to their president / owner being investigated for bribery and a bunch of other white collar crimes. today however a rather shocking development has emerged.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/24/14...ragon-835-2017

to put it into context, the snapdragon 835 is the latest / greatest mobile processor that has been jointly developed by qualcomm and samsung (ie the 2 biggest mobile phone processor producers) and was due to be involved in all flagship mobiles and tablets this year,

a source of mine (a senior developer in america working for 1 of the big 3 at their headquarters) however gave me a warning last year november not to expect an 835 phone till after july/august. whilst I thought they may have been referring to OS flagship devices (pixel, surface phone), he told me it was a major problem due to samsung being resource hogs / wanting to cripple the competition.

I thought he was joking as samsung has (traditionally) maintained a fair and equal playing field regarding processor quality and availability to everyone (including apple), yet today just confirmed it. because of this all high end phones, minus samsung, released till around summer (my contact says most likely july/ august but is optimistic for may/june ) are gonna be stuck with similar specs to the oneplus 3t and will have slower processors than the iphone 7.

Dont know about everyone else but I am boycotting the galaxy s8 and waiting till autumn to get a new phone
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    btw, in case people wonder how on earth companies are already testing devices, limited prototype units are shipped to manufacturers months before the final production processors are ready (after which its 2 months average till it reaches shelves). manufacturers (lg, samsung, htc, nokia, microsoft) have already been testing the 835 processors for a while but it isnt the final production type

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.