Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! 1st year Uni student here~!
    SO. I need to start eating healthier, but, please I know I sound stupid, I honestly don't know how. I desperately need to cut down on bread, I eat FAR too much, seriously it's unreal, I can get through half a loaf in a day easy. So no bread! I also can't eat any fish/seafood! Also don't like stir fry >-<''
    I'v been basically living off tinned soup, pasta, bolognaise, mincebeef/onion and ready mash and jacket potatoes to be honest. Oh and beans on toast ofc.
    90% frozen stuff

Also, I can NOT cook. Okay, seriously I'm hopeless, I really want to learn but I need some really really simple ideas to start off with?

I'm also not really a salad person, no matter how much I try, I just do not like lettuce or cucumber~!

Please throw any ideas you have at me!! I have a Slow Cooker if that's any help!! Thank you so much everyone sorry to be awkward!! <3

ReputationRep:
    Cooking really isn't complicated or difficult - especially with a slow cooker. Buy a book of slow cooker recipes or google some simple slow cooker recipes and just follow the instructions - if you can read you can cook.

Chili is always easy, chop chilli/garlic/onion and start frying it (keep stirring it), when the onion turns another colour add mince (keep stirring), when the mince is all brown chuck in chopped veg (pepper/mushroom/sweetcorn etc) and a tin of tomatoes and add either a chilli con carne spice mix (packet) or some paprika/cumin/coriander. turn the heat down and let it simmer while you cook the rice.

In the slow cooker - add 100g of rice, 1/2 tin tomatoes, 1/2 chopped pepper, 150ml of water, 1 chicken stock cube, 4/5 chopped sun dried tomatoes... fry one side of a chicken in a frying pan until it is light brown and then add the chicken to the slow cooker too - cook for 4-5 hours on 'low'.

In the slow cooker - add some gravy, 200ml water, 1 tsp thyme, plus 1/2 a chopped onion, 1/2 a chopped carrot + 2 sausages and cook for 4-5 hours on med. Then make carbs to go with it (mash potato, rice etc).

Slow cooker or oven - chop 1 carrot, 1 onion and a chunk of 'braising steak', cover them in gravy and cook for 1 hour in the oven or 4 hours in slow cooker then add chopped potatoes, (optional splash of wine), thyme and cook for another 45 minutes OR 2 hours.

ReputationRep:
    Slow cookers are really versatile and can be used for a lot of dishes. Definitely something to consider investing it.
    Also saves gas, cleaning up as much, and can make the most tender meat just like slow-cooking in an oven (without the radiation)
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Chickadee-Chii)
    SO. I need to start eating healthier, but, please I know I sound stupid, I honestly don't know how. I desperately need to cut down on bread, I eat FAR too much, seriously it's unreal, I can get through half a loaf in a day easy. So no bread! I also can't eat any fish/seafood! Also don't like stir fry >-<''
    I'v been basically living off tinned soup, pasta, bolognaise, mincebeef/onion and ready mash and jacket potatoes to be honest. Oh and beans on toast ofc.
    90% frozen stuff

Also, I can NOT cook. Okay, seriously I'm hopeless, I really want to learn but I need some really really simple ideas to start off with?

I'm also not really a salad person, no matter how much I try, I just do not like lettuce or cucumber~!

Please throw any ideas you have at me!! I have a Slow Cooker if that's any help!! Thank you so much everyone sorry to be awkward!! <3
    There are two ways you need to think about eating healthier.

1. How much you eat. That is only the amount you need/ use in a day. A deficit if you need to lose weight and a small surplus if you need to gain. Work out your ideal weight based on bmi to start with.

2.What you eat based on nutrution.

Join mfp and start using i to help you keep a food diary so you can understand what you are eating and how much.

A better balanced diet normally means more fruit and veg , less saturated fat, more lean protein, complex carbs fibre and healthy fats. The recommended is 5 portions of fruit and veg a day.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/5aday/Pages/5ADAYhome.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I reckon that you should eat some very tasty Vaseline mini cheds. My mate Robbie eats them all the time and he's a absolute meat head now

ReputationRep:
    Shout out to Robbie Farris❤️

ReputationRep:
    I love you

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah my mate who is coincidentally called Robbie goes to the gym after being a bit tubby and he's bloody huge now, imagine Dwayne 'the Rock' Johnson now times that by 1000. Yeah exactly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam7350)
    oh yeah my mate who is coincidentally called Robbie goes to the gym after being a bit tubby and he's bloody huge now, imagine Dwayne 'the Rock' Johnson now times that by 1000. Yeah exactly...
    I love you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chickadee-Chii)
    90% frozen stuff

for a good cooking book, i'd recommend 'lean in 15' by Joe Wicks. it's all healthy and tasty but pretty basic.
    i'd suggest using the app 'my fitness pal' so you can enter your foods and it tracks calories, sodium, protein, etc, and helps you meet your personal goal.
    For foods, i'd say the best thing to do is go for gluten free and foods that aren't frozen. so long grain rice, boiled rice, vegetables, fruit. if you still wanna eat bread, just swap white bread for brown. cereals you can have weetabix. instead of potatoes, try sweet potato. maybe cut down on dairy too. Almond milk is the best thing if you like the taste of nuts. anything fresh is good

ReputationRep:
    BBC good food has some really simple recipes, get in quick before they remove them all!

One of my favourite meals is a buckwheat "risotto". Put cherry tomatoes in a dish with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, roast for 10-15 min. Meanwhile, cook a chopped red onion and crushed garlic over a medium heat in a non stock pan for about 5 min. Add buckwheat and veg stock, let simmer and stir occasionally until the stock has been absorbed. Then add the roasted toms and serve with fresh basil

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.