Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

An international student, looking to join in for a masters in finance. Hard to make a decision between these as they all seem like good options.

Which uni should I pick? More importantly, which one would be suitable for an international student (Indian) ?

ReputationRep:
    I studied my undergrad at Lancaster and the international community was amazing. The campus and city are also beautiful but small so definitely consider the size. Because of the campus, there's a real community feel. If you want a big city feel though, definitely don't go to Lancaster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frecca95)
    I studied my undergrad at Lancaster and the international community was amazing. The campus and city are also beautiful but small so definitely consider the size. Because of the campus, there's a real community feel. If you want a big city feel though, definitely don't go to Lancaster

Hey frecca95!

Thanks for the reply. I dont believe the city being small is my concern because i am highly introverted. Have you lived in the Lancaster accommodation? I am quiet alarmed by some posts that showed concern regarding racism. Is it an issue at Lancaster ?

ReputationRep:
    Exeter > Manchester >>>>> Lancaster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    Exeter > Manchester >>>>> Lancaster.
    Hey!

Why does the [timeshighereducation] world university ranking state differently?. I have also taken up an interest in University of Edinburgh for its ranking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tintin1994)
    Hey!

Why does the [timeshighereducation] world university ranking state differently?. I have also taken up an interest in University of Edinburgh for its ranking.
    The Times ranking goes on international prestige, in which case Manchester is better known worldwide than Exeter. But in terms of actual quality of the university, Exeter would come out on top. And definitely apply for Edinburgh, they're on par with Exeter, if not better.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, during my first year I lived in a grizedale townhouse and it was genuinely one of the best decisions I've made. I graduated last year and am still close friends with nearly all of my first year flat mates. There's massive variety on offer with the campus accommodation and some offer bigger groups than others which I found worked well.

I'm not 100% sure about racism, I'm sure it is a problem but I know in my experience everyone got along, the teams I was on were very mixed and everyone was welcoming. I'm 90% sure you can apply for post grad only accommodation too (most are sorted by year of study anyway) which I imagine would help a bit as older students should be more mature. If it's a problem when you do arrive, because of the collegiate system you have a massive framework of support that can help either solve the problem internally or find a new place that's not toxic for you in the same accommodation but in a different part of the college or campus.

In terms of ranking, Lancaster has been placed 8/9 in the uk for the past three or four years. I had a housemate for three years who studied Econ (same department as finance I tbink) and she said the teaching was really good.

I hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Without a doubt Manchester has the best rep for finance out of the three!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.