Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trump the most unpopular new president for 40 years Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    They wouldn't become any better.

No, it's not. It's decent human beings appalled at the monstrosity that is Trump. Do you think the majority of the country is really far left? Only 40% approval rate, is 60% really "far left"? Oh dear you old con, you are getting tired.
    The people in the streets during the campaign were obviously far left.( I realize BLM may not be far left to you).
    I do think the majority of the 60% belong to a party that has been dragged to the far left by the far left element which has no where to go but the Dem. party. Remember that many Dems. voted for Trump. Can't you see that it was statements like your first sentence that helped to get Trump elected? You should only call someone a racist, woman hater, corrupt business man, if they are. There never was any evidence for racism and grabbing some ladies snatch doesn't really constitute misogyny, and his business history was far better than most who have attained what he has.
    And yes, I think the entire Dem. party is far left. Sanctuary cities, transgender bathrooms, Republicans don't support the sort of crap and a lot of Dems. are embarrassed by it. Here's a prediction; in 60 days you won't be able to get enough anti Trump protesters together in one spot that they need a permit to protest.

ReputationRep:
    He ended TTP which is what progressives wanted

But they give him no credit for that instead attacking him on pipeliness that Obama supported..

Reverse racism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldercon1953)
    The people in the streets during the campaign were obviously far left.( I realize BLM may not be far left to you).
    I do think the majority of the 60% belong to a party that has been dragged to the far left by the far left element which has no where to go but the Dem. party. Remember that many Dems. voted for Trump. Can't you see that it was statements like your first sentence that helped to get Trump elected? You should only call someone a racist, woman hater, corrupt business man, if they are. There never was any evidence for racism and grabbing some ladies snatch doesn't really constitute misogyny, and his business history was far better than most who have attained what he has.
    And yes, I think the entire Dem. party is far left. Sanctuary cities, transgender bathrooms, Republicans don't support the sort of crap and a lot of Dems. are embarrassed by it. Here's a prediction; in 60 days you won't be able to get enough anti Trump protesters together in one spot that they need a permit to protest.
    Come to Europe, then you know what "far left" is...lel.

ReputationRep:
    But it is his general way of looking at things that got him elected. This is where he displayed true political genius. He knew this but the problem is how do you stand out in a field of 17 candidates. In Trumps case it was easy ; just be yourself.
    Not really. He's good at speaking off-script, yes, which is a certain skill that tends to endear people because it seems more natural and less forced. But that isn't the same thing as being genuine or "being yourself", any more than a good door-to-door salesman or improvisational actor is "being themselves" when they employ a similar skill. Trump's political stances on various issues have been all over the place throughout his life, which makes it hard to believe anything he says is really a deeply held viewpoint. Sure, his manner and style have remained more or less the same, but that's not quite the same.

This explains why don't see that change in Trump the candidate to Trump the President. He knew we were sick of standard politicians
    People have been saying they're "sick of standard politicians" for years and years. Generic anti-politics is nothing new. Businessmen and other non-politicians have been running for office in the US time and time again, all with a different variation on the same theme - that "politicians" and "Washington" are the problem, and that they'll "shake things up" when they get in - see also Ross Perot, Pat Robertson, Steve Forbes, Herman Cain, Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina, etc. Trump is just the first to actually win the presidency. He's (in part) the result of the American right's endless obsession with non-specific "outsiders" - the phenomenon which has bled into the GOP's conventional politicians, all of whom desperately compete to show how much of an "outsider" they are.

Trump is continuing to behave like a candidate because without such populist, "outsider", "anti-establishment" rhetoric, he's just some guy.

ReputationRep:
    And yes, I think the entire Dem. party is far left.
    Oh dear....

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, just maybe, we should wait till his 4 years (*cough* 8) are over...

ReputationRep:
    Actually if you look at the breakdown of the results for trump he got look here;

http://edition.cnn.com/election/resu...onal/president,

You will find that actually he got more than average in terms of different ethnic minorities than other Republicans who had run for office in the past

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Oh dear....
    That was a bit of an overstatement, I know. But the American far left has hijacked the Dem. Party. They are in leadership positions and have assumed for the last 30 yrs. or so that all members were in lockstep with them. What do you think is the reason for the utter disbelief you can STILL see from Trumps victory? Look at Hollywood. They can't believe whats happened. These total freaks actually thought the rest of the country thought like they did. If his election can force that part of the left back under the floorboards with the other cockroaches his Presidency will be a success.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. He's good at speaking off-script, yes, which is a certain skill that tends to endear people because it seems more natural and less forced. But that isn't the same thing as being genuine or "being yourself", any more than a good door-to-door salesman or improvisational actor is "being themselves" when they employ a similar skill. Trump's political stances on various issues have been all over the place throughout his life, which makes it hard to believe anything he says is really a deeply held viewpoint. Sure, his manner and style have remained more or less the same, but that's not quite the same.

People have been saying they're "sick of standard politicians" for years and years. Generic anti-politics is nothing new. Businessmen and other non-politicians have been running for office in the US time and time again, all with a different variation on the same theme - that "politicians" and "Washington" are the problem, and that they'll "shake things up" when they get in - see also Ross Perot, Pat Robertson, Steve Forbes, Herman Cain, Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina, etc. Trump is just the first to actually win the presidency. He's (in part) the result of the American right's endless obsession with non-specific "outsiders" - the phenomenon which has bled into the GOP's conventional politicians, all of whom desperately compete to show how much of an "outsider" they are.

Trump is continuing to behave like a candidate because without such populist, "outsider", "anti-establishment" rhetoric, he's just some guy.
    Make up your mind. Is Trump a moron or a genus or histories greatest actor who can, for a year and a half, fool around 60mil. people? You are right; the people have been sayng for some time they are sick of standard politicians and we finally
    got a candidate who is not one and the American people have the good sense to elect him.
    With 12 Executive Orders signed already he's hardly acting like a candidate.

ReputationRep:
    Make up your mind. Is Trump a moron or a genus or histories greatest actor who can, for a year and a half, fool around 60mil. people?
    I don't recall calling him a moron. but for the record I don't think he's either a moron or a genius. He's very skilled at a certain type of campaigning and PR. To what extent his campaigning and strategy is planned and conscious behind the the scenes, as opposed to a much more ad hoc operation, I don't know. But either way, it doesn't make him particularly knowledgeable or competent about actually governing, or even have a coherent policy plan.

You are right; the people have been sayng for some time they are sick of standard politicians and we finally
    got a candidate who is not one
    I gave you a whole list of previous candidates who weren't "standard politicians" (and I probably missed some off). Trump isn't anything new in that regard.

With 12 Executive Orders signed already he's hardly acting like a candidate.
    Don't be disingenuous. When I talk about him "acting like a candidate" it's pretty clear I'm referring to the statements coming from him and his team.

ReputationRep:
    That was a bit of an overstatement, I know. But the American far left has hijacked the Dem. Party. They are in leadership positions
    Then why did the candidate supported by the radical left, Bernie Sanders, only recently join the party to run for the nomination? And why was the party leadership so determined to stop him getting it?

and have assumed for the last 30 yrs. or so that all members were in lockstep with them. What do you think is the reason for the utter disbelief you can STILL see from Trumps victory? Look at Hollywood. They can't believe whats happened. These total freaks actually thought the rest of the country thought like they did.
    Regardless of whether or not this latest reincarnation of this myth is true, what you're describing is simply myopia, not any political outlook or ideology.

ReputationRep:
    Someone so unpopular, and with such low expectations will find it easier to exceed them.

Obama came in on a wave of love, and with the hope that he would transform the world.

Yes we can! Give him the Nobel Peace Prize!

How cruel has been the disappointment. In fact Obama is why we have Trump in the first place although not a lot of liberals will admit that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    In fact Obama is why we have Trump in the first place.
    Expand?

ReputationRep:
    Expand?
    You don't think the election of the polar opposite of a President, pledging to overturn all his key programmes and policies, is a reaction to, and reflection on, said President?

Half of America hates Trump. We have heard a lot from them recently.

The other half hate Obama. We heard from them on election day.

ReputationRep:

How cruel has been the disappointment. In fact Obama is why we have Trump in the first place although not a lot of liberals will admit that.
    I thought Obama's failure was largly down to the political manoeuvring of the Republican party bloking every piece of legislation on principal rather than on merrit. Like the three or four Tory MPs that filibuster every private members bill into the long grass because they think it is a fun thing to do on a Friday afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    You don't think the election of the polar opposite of a President, pledging to overturn all his key programmes and policies, is a reaction to, and reflection on, said President?
    If it was due to a major realignment, i.e. if former Obama voters had jumped ship en masse to Trump, then yes, that would be a reflection on Obama. But we haven't really seen that. What we've seen is more a case of the same people who previously voted against Obama voting against his party again, and managing to win due a combination of former Obama voters not turning out in the same numbers for Clinton, and the geographical distribution of Trump voters giving them the Electoral College victory.

In other words, it's not really a "reaction" to Obama, as those who voted Trump were already anti-Obama.

ReputationRep:

Half of America hates Trump. We have heard a lot from them recently.

The other half hate Obama. We heard from them on election day.
    More people hate Trump than Obama.

A lot of people are not bothered to vote.

Trump is not the messiah you want him to be.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Quantex)
    His name was Bill. He enjoyed the company of a young woman in the oval office.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.