Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does having a girlfriend/being in love cure depression? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In my case it was the opposite. I was depressed throughout the entire relationship, even when things were going really great, and then I felt like **** for a year after.

It doesn't cure everything, actually it can make you a hell of a lot worse.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    This is actually a really good topic. I wouldn't say it cures depression but it does help massively if it's the right person. Some people here are saying dating websites but honestly it won't help unless you actually love the person. Personally, falling in love was the biggest distraction for me whilst I was deep in depression. The person themselves didn't actively help apart from loving me, I was just distracted in thinking about them rather than hating life, so in that way I wasn't relying on them for happiness. Also personally I'm a virgin too but sex and those associated feelings can help ease depression or distract yourself.
    The best answer I've read so far! If you don't mind me asking how old are you?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    No. It won't cure depression. It might help you, but being in a relationship is not a magic wand fix for every issue.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same kind of boat.
    I know what I have is pretty severe depression, as it's been diagnosed.
    I also know it's been caused by a multitude of different things, being on my own really hasn't helped.
    What also know is that having a "companion" of sorts helps me, not because I'm depending on someone else, just that it seems to help.

What I don't know is if it's a relationship I need or something else.
    it could be a girlfriend, a pet or a friend.

ye it helps a lot. I made loads of mental health improvements when I was in relationships. Lot's of problems I had just went away permanently even after breaking up with them.

I had quite serious mental health issues as well.

ReputationRep:
    it might make you feel temporarily better but you should never rely on someone else for your happiness, you need to learn how to manage your mental health alone - people leave and you should always feel like you can deal alone

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said, it does help you temporarily. But do not rely on others, I have a friend who's like this and he really liked her but then he became needy and then she left him. Now he's back to square one. It does not cure depression.

ReputationRep:
    Well I believe depression is what contributes to my autism. I was diagnosed with it when I was 4
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Those two things are completely unrelated, as far as I'm aware...
    Autism does make you more prone to mental health issues such as depression, this is a fact.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Autisti.../Symptoms.aspx
    Look at "Other conditions associated with ASD"

It is usually due to the person's lack of understanding of their own feelings, and their struggles with relationships with other people. Depression will not however affect your autism, your autism will not change based on anything else, it's just how you are.

As for the thread, no. A relationship will not cure depression, unless it's literally you just wanting a girlfriend and not real depression. Relationships can help you cope with depression, but you shouldn't look for one as a cure because it isn't one, instead seek support from people who are already close to you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    In some cases it makes your depression worse. Don't get a girlfriend just to make you happy, it's much more than just having someone around to have sex with.

ReputationRep:
    You're still Young there's plenty of time for you to meet someone! But instead of getting down about not being in a relationship, be productive. Go out, meet people have some fun! The rest will come. If you are loving life you will be seen as a more attractive person. Being in a relationship does make you happier but it is by no means the making of all happiness! It is the time we have to be single, which is the time we have to really get good at being alone. Being in love is a risky thing because it hurts if you ever loose the person you're in love with. My depression stemmed from a break up. So do not think that a relationship is the answer to all your problems. Loving yourself and finding the things that make you happy is the answer

ReputationRep:
    Has every person who has committed suicide been single?

ReputationRep:
    I've been depressed over the fact that I'm 22 years old and never had a girlfriend and I'm a massive virgin.
    To original poster. Have you had any improvement. Are you slightly less depressed? and have you made any progress on the woman front?

ReputationRep:
    Not really.. I don't think being with someone else will help you because if your not happy yourself how can you expect to make someone else happy and be happy with them. You need to know why exactly your depressed and then try and get some help. Just by being in a relationship or having a girlfriend won't cure anything.

(Original post by Cecelia Tallice)
    You're still Young there's plenty of time for you to meet someone! But instead of getting down about not being in a relationship, be productive. Go out, meet people have some fun! The rest will come. If you are loving life you will be seen as a more attractive person. Being in a relationship does make you happier but it is by no means the making of all happiness! It is the time we have to be single, which is the time we have to really get good at being alone. Being in love is a risky thing because it hurts if you ever loose the person you're in love with. My depression stemmed from a break up. So do not think that a relationship is the answer to all your problems. Loving yourself and finding the things that make you happy is the answer
    Thanks, you're so kind

ReputationRep:
    Warmth and affection from someone you're into can aid you in your recovery. But then there is risk of you becoming so emotionally dependent on them that your world falls apart when they're not around anymore and you're back to where you started.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.