Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niclewis10)
    Hi,

I am applying for radiotherapy in 2017 but already have a HNC for completing one year of university (started university in 2002). I received student loan funding for more than one year, but according to the new rules, can i receive a maintenance loan for all three years of radiotherapy? I have read the document and understand I can receive tuition for all three years but I am struggling to find anybody at the student loans company who can confirm the maintenance loan info. Obviously it's a concern as to whether i can still afford to go to university, despite the new rules helping those doing second degrees.

Thanks,
    Nicola

Hi Nicola
    Many thanks for your question. Unfortunately I am not best placed to advise you as I can only provide information on NHS Bursaries.
    However, if you are able to, if you ask your question in the web-chat session Previous Study, which is taking place on Wednesday 8th between 2 and 3 pm, host Alison Webster should be able to help you, or at least point you in the right direction.

I hope this will assist you
    Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannie0)
    I'm really confused and worried, I was wondering if somebody could help me!
    I was studying adult nursing which was nhs bursary funded before I left due to personal circumstances.
    I'm wishing to retake the course again but don't know where id stand financially or how it works now.
    Would I be entitled to a maintenance loan although I've already had one? and tuition fees, would I be entitled to those as I left my previous course?

any advice would be brilliant! thank you
    Hi there and many thanks for your question,

If you were in receipt of a NHS Bursary before and you are receiving one for maternity leave, my understanding of the arrangements is that you will continue to receive your NHS bursary and non-means tested maintenance loan on the same terms and conditions as before you went on leave as you would be classed as a continuing student, so the new rules for NHS Bursaries to loans would not apply to you.

However, you may want to double-check with regards to the loan with our Student finance colleagues or via your student loan account.
    In addition, if you are able to, if you ask your question in the web-chat session Previous Study, which is taking place on Wednesday 8th between 2 and 3 pm, host Alison Webster should be able to help you, or at least point you in the right direction.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am in my final year studying BSc Medical Sciences and I have been offered a place to study Medicine at Exeter university starting in September 2017. I wondered what help I could receive with my tuition fees as this will be my second undergraduate degree? Previously I have been in receipt of a full maintenance loan and grants and tuition fee loan. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADETOLA 84)
    I am aware that there is available funding for my course (PgDip Children Nursing)2017. Please, I would like to know if other financial help will be available for child care and other house hold bills.
    Hi there and thanks for your question,
    The Student room webchats taking place this week at the times and dates below should be able to provide you with some clarification.

Dependants’ Grants
    Tues 7 Feb
    11am-12pm and

Fri 10 Feb
    3pm-4pm

In addition, if you go to www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinanceand click on ‘Resources’, there is a huge amount of information and guidance available - including information about Dependants grants and help with Childcare
    I do hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Please, how much is been paid for non-means tested maintenance loan? how often is it paid? and how is it paid back?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimee01)
    Hi,
    I am in my final year studying BSc Medical Sciences and I have been offered a place to study Medicine at Exeter university starting in September 2017. I wondered what help I could receive with my tuition fees as this will be my second undergraduate degree? Previously I have been in receipt of a full maintenance loan and grants and tuition fee loan. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
    Many thanks for your question. Unfortunately I am not best placed to advise you as I can only provide information on NHS Bursaries.

However, if you are able to, if you ask your question in the web-chat session Previous Study, which is taking place on Wednesday 8th between 2 and 3 pm, host Alison Webster should be able to help you, or at least point you in the right direction.

In addition, you could have a look at the Student Room's information section -
    Available at www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance by clicking on ‘resources’.
    This contains a full library of guides, films and factsheets which may be useful to you.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    Hi, is Cardiac Physiology an NHS course?
    Hi there, thanks for your question.

Cardiac Physiology is not an NHS-funded course, so I can only advise you to contact Student Finance England to see what support you may be entitled to from student loans for this type of course.

If you go to www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance
    and click on ‘Resources’, there is a huge amount of information and guidance available.

I hope this helps.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hello Kim,

Thank you for spending the time to answer my questions. I am currently applying to Podiatry school. I hold a UK passport and have a NI number. May I know if I can still receive funds from the NHS? I am planning to attend on September 2017. Also, are we able to apply before we get our offer? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADETOLA 84)
    Please, how much is been paid for non-means tested maintenance loan? how often is it paid? and how is it paid back?
    Thanks.

Hi again

Unfortunately I can only advise on NHS Bursaries, therefore you may be better having a look at the resources section of the Student Room, as advised in my previous thread.
    Alternatively, some of the other webchats taking place this week may be better placed to help you if you need specific information about Student Loans. For example,

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben344)
    hi is the funding the same if I study in Wales as if I study in England? I am from Wales.
    Hi, thanks for your question

It depends on what course you are intending to study and the location of the university you attend which determines the funding that may be available to you.
    You may find the webchat Welsh students studying in England helpful. This takes place on The Student Room today between 4 and 5pm and again this Friday between 10 and 11am.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Healthscience82)
    Hello Kim,

Thank you for spending the time to answer my questions. I am currently applying to Podiatry school. I hold a UK passport and have a NI number. May I know if I can still receive funds from the NHS? I am planning to attend on September 2017. Also, are we able to apply before we get our offer? Thank you.

Hi there and thanks for your question

The only Podiatry courses that may be NHS Bursary funded in 2017/18 are those which are part-time and these are funded only at a small handful of universities in England. All other full time Podiatry courses for new students will move over to Student Loan funding from 1 August 2017.

However, we are still offering some secondary sources of funding for healthcare students who have moved over to o student loans - these will be a dependants grant, help with placement costs and an exceptional support fund for healthcare students facing extreme financial hardship.

More information will be available on our website about these in due course - www.nhsbsa.gov.uk/Students

I hope this is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimee01)
    Hi,

Hi and many thanks for your question.
    Unfortunately I am not best placed to advise you as I can only provide information on NHS Bursaries.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Dear Kim,

thank you very much, this comes in very very handy. I will go onto the site right away to gather more information.

Have a great day

Warm Regards,

Health Science 82

(Original post by Kim Stephenson)

The only Podiatry courses that may be NHS Bursary funded in 2017/18 are those which are part-time and these are funded only at a small handful of universities in England. All other full time Podiatry courses for new students will move over to Student Loan funding from 1 August 2017.

However, we are still offering some secondary sources of funding for healthcare students who have moved over to o student loans - these will be a dependants grant, help with placement costs and an exceptional support fund for healthcare students facing extreme financial hardship.

More information will be available on our website about these in due course - www.nhsbsa.gov.uk/Students

I hope this is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Kim,

May I know if the site is down now? I am unable to log into the site for some odd reason

Thank you

Warm Regards,

Healthscience82

(Original post by Kim Stephenson)

I hope this is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Kim,

thank you very much, this comes in very very handy. I will go onto the site right away to gather more information.

Have a great day

Warm Regards,

Health Science 82

Hi HealthScience 82

Glad to have been able to help

Many thanks and have a good day

Kim Stephenson
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Dear Kim,

May I know if the site is down now? I am unable to log into the site for some odd reason

Thank you

Warm Regards,

Healthscience82
    Try http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Dear Kim,

Thank you very much. It is well received and working.

Warm Regards,

Healthsciences82

ReputationRep:
    Posted for general information.

How will funding for students who have had to withdraw temporarily from their studies be handled during this transitional period? Such as the following scenario:

Began Yr 1 - Sep 16
    Withdrew (with intention to resume studies) - Jan 17
    Resumed studies with Sep 17 cohort at same point in year - Jan 18. I.e. they were repeating part of their first year, from the point at which they had withdrawn.

I presume that because this person was receiving a bursary before 1 Aug 17 and is continuing on the same course and is not starting the course again from the beginning, they would remain on the 2012 Scheme.

Conversely, using the same scenario above, would a student who again withdrew in Jan 17 but started the course afresh from Sep 17 be now classed as a new student and fall into the 2017 Scheme rules?

This is a question which often comes up and some clarification would, I think be helpful. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northolt999)
    Is any support available for nurses (starting September) now the bursary has gone

Hi there and many thanks for your question,

The good news is that there is still financial support available to new nursing students in England as full funding provision has moved over to student loans/ Student Finance England.

You may find the following web-chat sessions useful this week:

How to apply for student finance - Mon 6 Feb 7pm - 8pm
    Loans – what can I get? Tues 7 Feb between 7 and 8pm

In addition, if you go to www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinanceand click on ‘Resources’, there is a huge amount of information and guidance available to you.

I hope this is helpful
    Kind regards

Kim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Posted for general information.

How will funding for students who have had to withdraw temporarily from their studies be handled during this transitional period? Such as the following scenario:

Began Yr 1 - Sep 16
    Withdrew (with intention to resume studies) - Jan 17
    Resumed studies with Sep 17 cohort at same point in year - Jan 18. I.e. they were repeating part of their first year, from the point at which they had withdrawn.

I presume that because this person was receiving a bursary before 1 Aug 17 and is continuing on the same course and is not starting the course again from the beginning, they would remain on the 2012 Scheme.

Conversely, using the same scenario above, would a student who again withdrew in Jan 17 but started the course afresh from Sep 17 be now classed as a new student and fall into the 2017 Scheme rules?

This is a question which often comes up and some clarification would, I think be helpful. Thank you.

Hi , many thanks for your question - this is a very important point with regard to NHS Bursary funding availability in 2017/18:

Scenario 1 - if the student resumed study at a comparable point in the course and was not starting the course from the beginning, their previous NHS Bursary funding would continued and they would be regarded as an existing / continuing student.

Scenario 2 - This is correct, the student would be regarded as 'new' from September 2017 and would come under mainstream student support (i.e. student loan) arrangements, because they had started the course 'from scratch' so would come under the same funding provision as their cohort colleagues.

Thank you for raising this point and I hope this clarifies things

Kind regards

Kim Stephenson

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.