Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=PQ;69963918]Try http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students.aspx[/QUOTE]

Hi Healthscience82
    The link you posted is also correct. To access our 'Ask Us' service from there, simply click on the blue 'Ask Us' logo at the right hand side of the screen - about 1/3 of the way down.

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim Stephenson)
    Hi , many thanks for your question - this is a very important point with regard to NHS Bursary funding availability in 2017/18:

Scenario 1 - if the student resumed study at a comparable point in the course and was not starting the course from the beginning, their previous NHS Bursary funding would continued and they would be regarded as an existing / continuing student.

Scenario 2 - This is correct, the student would be regarded as 'new' from September 2017 and would come under mainstream student support (i.e. student loan) arrangements, because they had started the course 'from scratch' so would come under the same funding provision as their cohort colleagues.

Thank you for raising this point and I hope this clarifies things

Kind regards

Kim Stephenson

Thank you for that Kim - nice and clear.

Can I also take this opportunity to plug the NHS BSA Knowledge Base? This is a really comprehensive resource for students and student advisors and can answer a lot of commonly-asked questions

https://contactcentreservices.nhsbsa...saries&id=5384
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Posted for general information.

How will funding for students who have had to withdraw temporarily from their studies be handled during this transitional period? Such as the following scenario:

Began Yr 1 - Sep 16
    Withdrew (with intention to resume studies) - Jan 17
    Resumed studies with Sep 17 cohort at same point in year - Jan 18. I.e. they were repeating part of their first year, from the point at which they had withdrawn.

I presume that because this person was receiving a bursary before 1 Aug 17 and is continuing on the same course and is not starting the course again from the beginning, they would remain on the 2012 Scheme.

Conversely, using the same scenario above, would a student who again withdrew in Jan 17 but started the course afresh from Sep 17 be now classed as a new student and fall into the 2017 Scheme rules?

This is a question which often comes up and some clarification would, I think be helpful. Thank you.
    In scenario 2 for standard SLC (ie non-NHS bursary) students it would depend on whether the university concerned classed (and returned) the change as a withdrawal (in which case the 17/18 instance would be classed as NEW) or a suspension/intermission (in which case the resumption of studies from scratch would be classed as CONTINUING (albeit repeating the year)).

Different universities have different policies and whether someone in that situation would be classed as suspended or withdrawn is very dependent on the situation concerned and the policies that apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GOGOZO)
    Hello
    Im due to start a radiography degree in September all being well. Now the bursary has gone what am i entitled to as a mature student. i have a dependant. Im really not sure on what i can apply for benefit wise?
    Help!

Many thanks
    zoe

Hi zoe

You might find some of the other webchats taking place this week helpful -

How to apply for student finance: Mon 6th Feb (7-8pm)

Dependants’ Grants: Tues 7th Feb (11-12pm) and Fri 10th Feb (3pm - 4pm)

Living on a budget: Tues 7th Feb (12pm-1pm)

Loans – what can I get?: Tues 7th Feb (7-8pm)

In addition, if you go towww.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinanceand click on ‘Resources’, there is a huge amount of information and guidance available, including factsheets, films and guides.

Hope these will be helpful to you as a starter.

Kind regards

Kim stephenson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria2611)
    Hi,

I'm a little confused as I have read the gov website talking about ELQ loans for people such as myself, that have a degree (that was funded by SFE) but want to go on to do another in the medical field. With the withdrawal of bursaries and nhs funded courses - is the government offering any extra access to SFE?

I either want to do a paramedic degree (aware of mixed funding model) or a nursing degree and was wondering if I would have access to student loans again if I gained a place? Are there new funding policies coming out for Sep 2017 entry?

Sorry for the jumbled, frantic questions - the UCAS deadline is very close!!

Thanks,

Maria

Hi Maria

I am only able to specifically advise on NHS Bursaries, so whilst I am not able to
    answer your question, you may find it helpful to post it in the Previous Study webchat, which is taking place on The Student Room on Wednesday (8th Feb) between 2pm and 3pm. Alison who is hosting that chat should be able to help you or point you in the right direction regarding ELQ arrangements for 2017/18.

Kind regards

Kim Stephenson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    In scenario 2 for standard SLC (ie non-NHS bursary) students it would depend on whether the university concerned classed (and returned) the change as a withdrawal (in which case the 17/18 instance would be classed as NEW) or a suspension/intermission (in which case the resumption of studies from scratch would be classed as CONTINUING (albeit repeating the year)).

Different universities have different policies and whether someone in that situation would be classed as suspended or withdrawn is very dependent on the situation concerned and the policies that apply.

That's very true PQ , and this is an area that is currently being looked at in some detail between the NHS Business Services authority, the Department of Health and Health Education England. We hope to be publishing full guidance on our website regarding this area in due course.

Many thanks

Kim Stephenson

ReputationRep:
    I am now signing off from this session, but I will be back on Wednesday from 11am to answer any additional questions from today and hopefully respond to some new ones too.
    Thank you all for your interest.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone for their questions! And a big thanks to Kim for answering them all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.