Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to apply for student finance by SLC Watch

Announcements
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Are you wondering how to apply for student finance? Rebecca is here to help.

Rebecca is an experienced customer advisor who handles all types of Student Finance England calls.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Monday 6 February

ReputationRep:
    Do you need to have a student bank account to apply for student finance? Also when do applications open?

ReputationRep:
    Does the bank account have to be in your own name?

ReputationRep:
    i have lost my birth certificate and my passport has exipred what should i do?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I come from Spain and I have lived in the UK for 4 years (it will be 5 in july) and I just wanted to ask how should I apply for the student loan. Should I apply as a EU student, EEA worker or UK student? Also, what is the criteria for each one? Specially the EEA and UK.

I also have a friend who came about 3 years ago and is also starting her university degree this year. How should her apply as? Do we have to apply online or via post?

Thanks in advance =)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, when do applications open to apply for student finance? I know that they close some time in May (I think that's right??) but I just wondered when it was possible to apply for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverMusic)
    Do you need to have a student bank account to apply for student finance? Also when do applications open?
    Hi, you do not need a student bank account to be paid your funding. Providing you have a UK bank account in your own name then the funding will be paid into that account. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie445)
    Does the bank account have to be in your own name?
    Hi Jamie, yes due to financial regulations your Student Finance payments must be paid into your own account. We are unable to make payments to an account belonging to a third party (e.g. parent/partner).

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben344)
    i have lost my birth certificate and my passport has exipred what should i do?

Hi, if you are a new UK student then we would need either a valid UK passport or a birth certificate with the birth or adoption certificate form to verify your identity. If it is a UK birth certificate you can get an official copy from the registry office.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I am from Poland and I lived in the UK for 6 years, I have my temporary residency and in March/April I should my getting my permanent UK residency status. Do I apply as an UK citizen or EU national? And would this affect my maintanace loan? Because I know that my tuition fees would be covered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jer1998)
    Hi all, I come from Spain and I have lived in the UK for 4 years (it will be 5 in july) and I just wanted to ask how should I apply for the student loan. Should I apply as a EU student, EEA worker or UK student? Also, what is the criteria for each one? Specially the EEA and UK.

I also have a friend who came about 3 years ago and is also starting her university degree this year. How should her apply as? Do we have to apply online or via post?

Thanks in advance =)
    Hi, please find below the residency criteria to apply as each type of student:

UK: For an EU national to be classed as a home student they must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 5 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course. To apply as a new UK student you can apply online on a PN1 form.

EU: To be eligible for EU funding you would need to have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for three or more years before the start of the course. You would also need to live in the UK for the first day of the course. To apply as an EU student you would need to apply via paper on a EU17N form.

EEA Worker: To be eligible to be an EEA worker/Migrant Worker you would need to be an EEA or swiss national. you would need to be resided in EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the start of the academic year. Evidence would be requested throughout the academic year to show you are in continuous employment throughout your studies, the employment would need to show that you could support yourself financially. To apply as a Migrant worker you can apply online on a PN1 form.

I hope this helps your query about which application your friend can apply on, too.

Please note applications for the academic year 17/18 are not available until the start of March.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine902)
    Hi, when do applications open to apply for student finance? I know that they close some time in May (I think that's right??) but I just wondered when it was possible to apply for it!
    Hi, applications for Student Finance England will be available approximately around the end of February to the start of March. Keep checking the Gov.uk website as when they applications are available it will be posted on there.

The application deadlines to ensure the applications will be processed on time for September for new students is on 26/05/17 and returning students is on 23/06/17.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca Ruecroft)
    Hi, applications for Student Finance England will be available approximately around the end of February to the start of March. Keep checking the Gov.uk website as when they applications are available it will be posted on there.

The application deadlines to ensure the applications will be processed on time for September for new students is on 26/05/17 and returning students is on 23/06/17.

Thank you
    Thank you, that's brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    If you are over 25, are you assessed on your salary for the year before you become a student, or on the fact that you will suddenly be earning zero as soon as you start your course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tina286)
    I am from Poland and I lived in the UK for 6 years, I have my temporary residency and in March/April I should my getting my permanent UK residency status. Do I apply as an UK citizen or EU national? And would this affect my maintanace loan? Because I know that my tuition fees would be covered.
    Hi, from the information you have given me you would be able to apply as a UK student. As a UK student you can apply for the maintenance loan.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine902)
    Thank you, that's brilliant!
    Happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca Ruecroft)
    Hi, from the information you have given me you would be able to apply as a UK student. As a UK student you can apply for the maintenance loan.

Thank you.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BringMoreCoffee)
    If you are over 25, are you assessed on your salary for the year before you become a student, or on the fact that you will suddenly be earning zero as soon as you start your course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, the only income we would take into account for the student is unearned income during the academic year. For example if you are letting out a property.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tina286)
    Thank you
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rebecca,

Do you know when can I apply for finance for the Academic Year 2017-2018 please.

I know that the gov.co.uk website says that is going to be available soon, but just wondered if you happen to know a more specific date.

Thank you.

Andrea

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.