Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied to both Maths and Eco (LSE) and straight Economics (UCL), and I am really stuck on what to firm?
    I think my skills flourish more in mathematics, however, as Economics at uni is said to be very mathematical, and it is argued straight Economics is more desirable to employers, what would seem best to choose as my firm choice?

I have been to both university open days and very much like both institutions, so for me right now it is a matter of which would be better in the long term? LSE has a very strong reputation, as does UCL, but would the combined honours put some employers off? and for what jobs in particular would I be at risk at doing so?

People argue that joint honours are also harder, but as I find maths easier would that not be the case? If anyone studies either course I would love to hear what you have to say also!

If anyone could tell me what they would do in my shoes I'd appreciate it so much.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jainx22)
    I applied to both Maths and Eco (LSE) and straight Economics (UCL), and I am really stuck on what to firm?
    I think my skills flourish more in mathematics, however, as Economics at uni is said to be very mathematical, and it is argued straight Economics is more desirable to employers, what would seem best to choose as my firm choice?

I have been to both university open days and very much like both institutions, so for me right now it is a matter of which would be better in the long term? LSE has a very strong reputation, as does UCL, but would the combined honours put some employers off? and for what jobs in particular would I be at risk at doing so?

People argue that joint honours are also harder, but as I find maths easier would that not be the case? If anyone studies either course I would love to hear what you have to say also!

If anyone could tell me what they would do in my shoes I'd appreciate it so much.

Thank you
    Maths and economics does give you more options in finance and LSE is slightly better I think for reputation. So purely on that I would go for LSE. But at the end of the day you're spending 3 years on a degree at a uni so it's not so clear cut. Even for these finance places and spring week apps you'd be pitted out against other LSE students and theres a horrible banking culture there. Im a UCL firmer btw, for economics.

May I ask how you made a personal statement to suit both pure econ and maths+econ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jainx22)
    Hi there, just read your response!
    Have you applied this year then, and are firming UCL? Or are you already at UCL?
    I agree the name of LSE automatically gives you an edge, thank you for your response! I'm just trying to weigh out the sort of social life at LSE and also whether it is worth going there. Such a hard choice

My personal statement catered to both I'm not really sure how I did it tbh! I ultimately made loads of eco bits link to maths, and tried to be as general as I could.
    Hey, I couldnt post a message for some reason so ill just reply here.

Yes, Im firming UCL for economics and im waiting on Warwick but i think ill mostly likely pick UCL

LSE students are known to make friends with ppl from other unis so theres that. But it does really have low ratings and I reckon you can benefit from a better social life elsewhere since everyone at LSE, whether its econ students or geography students, are so like-minded and all banking mad. I mean I shouldnt judge but I think it's better to go somewhere with a variety of ppl and not just banking mad money minded ppl. That's purely in terms of the social life though.

But even UCL struggles in doing well with its course and ive head stories of how the economics course is badly run and isnt great if you're genuinely interested in economics. That's why im considering warwick too.

I applied to UCL because it's a target school and being located in London means a lot of networking opportunity due to its proximity to the big banks. But its also because i didnt go for oxbridge or LSE so i wanted to maximise my chances of going to a target school lmao.

I think it depends on how much you care about your career. I would argue that on an individual level there is not much between the two unis because you still need strong ECs, experience etc etc. Plus you're also competing against other LSE students which is worth considering. How will you make yourself different compared to your peers?

Ahh right, in terms of % how much of your PS was maths and how much was it economics?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.