Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is a long one i know, but heres the story: (its hard to follow so dont worry if u dont get it)

Basically me and 2 other mates decided to go to milan in summer because the flights out there were really cheap. However 1 of the guys was from nigeria and needed a visa to get there, however he left it until the last minute before he decided to get one - then realised that he was too late and couldnt get a visa. By this time i had already payed for the plane tickets and we therefore had one extra ticket. So another mate said he would fill the space therefore he is now coming. However to change the name on the ticket cost an extra £35 which i have payed for - so we are now £35 over budget - which is quite a lot of money to me. The guy who screwed up his visa is refusing to pay it even tho it was his mistake - so i have ended up paying for his mistake.

Is it just me or does this seem strange. It was his mistake so surely he should pay for it...
    Advice please...

ReputationRep:
    i think he should pay.

If you hadn't got someone else to go he would have had to pay for the full ticket so he's getting off lightly.

threaten him with the small claims court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jak Spencer)
    This is a long one i know, but heres the story: (its hard to follow so dont worry if u dont get it)

Basically me and 2 other mates decided to go to milan in summer because the flights out there were really cheap. However 1 of the guys was from nigeria and needed a visa to get there, however he left it until the last minute before he decided to get one - then realised that he was too late and couldnt get a visa. By this time i had already payed for the plane tickets and we therefore had one extra ticket. So another mate said he would fill the space therefore he is now coming. However to change the name on the ticket cost an extra £35 which i have payed for - so we are now £35 over budget - which is quite a lot of money to me. The guy who screwed up his visa is refusing to pay it even tho it was his mistake - so i have ended up paying for his mistake.

Is it just me or does this seem strange. It was his mistake so surely he should pay for it...
    Advice please...
    yeah tis true but in the end hes not getting anything.. plus u payed for the ticket so its sort of your responsability in a way... if it was his ticket and he wanted sum 1 to buy it off him then i would expect him to pay for the name change..

lu x

ReputationRep:
    The new person who took the guy from Nigeria's place should pay the £35.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    The new person who took the guy from Nigeria's place should pay the £35.
    I disagree. Why should he do that when he could buy a new ticket and not pay a name change charge too. It should be the person who backed out.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it's your fault for paying the £35 being unsure of whose responsibility it was. The situation would have been easier had the new guy dealt with the nigerian so they could compromise. What's done is done, too late. Apologies if that sounds harsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I disagree. Why should he do that when he could buy a new ticket and not pay a name change charge too. It should be the person who backed out.
    I don't think he should have to pay for the name change, though you could argue that he should pay for the ticket he wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubilu)
    yeah tis true but in the end hes not getting anything.. plus u payed for the ticket so its sort of your responsability in a way... if it was his ticket and he wanted sum 1 to buy it off him then i would expect him to pay for the name change..

lu x
    Yeah but i payed for the ticket because he said he could go therefore i booked in the trust that he would actually go and there would be no problems + if there were problems he would pay me back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I don't think he should have to pay for the name change, though you could argue that he should pay for the ticket he wanted.
    ohhhh if he gave him the ticket then yes new guy should pay
    -_
    marya, msn.

ReputationRep:
    marya, msn.
    It won't let me sign in. -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IHavePMS)
    I believe it's your fault for paying the £35 being unsure of whose responsibility it was. The situation would have been easier had the new guy dealt with the nigerian so they could compromise. What's done is done, too late. Apologies if that sounds harsh.
    Yeah i see what u are saying, but it was all a bit rushed - basically we only found out he couldnt go 2 weeks before departure and you can only change the tickets two weeks prior to departure so we had to change the name on that day. If i had left it to the new guy and the nigerian to sort out it would have taken forever

ReputationRep:
    oh =(

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i see what u are saying, but it was all a bit rushed - basically we only found out he couldnt go 2 weeks before departure and you can only change the tickets two weeks prior to departure so we had to change the name on that day. If i had left it to the new guy and the nigerian to sort out it would have taken forever
    I see what you mean but if you paid for the ticket and expected him to pay you back, in all fairness, he only owes you for the ticket...as does the new guy. The nigerian shouldn't have to pay for the name change when it wasn't contemplated.

ReputationRep:
    oh =(
    -> PM me, foo.

ReputationRep:
    try leaving it for a while then log in .. hope it goes ok

ReputationRep:
    the new guy should pay half the nigeria guy half.

ReputationRep:

Advice please...
    I think that guy is an arse...he should pay for his mess.
    35 pounds to milan...thats so cool! where did you find the tickets? and how long is the holiday for?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.