Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    What are you on about? Most people who apply for Cambridge have the grades to get in. It simply needs to let go some because it's hugely competitive. The majority who apply do stand a chance.
    it IS not JUST about HAVING the GRADES

hahah see what I did there neuro?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    There's two types of smart, privileged by birth with advantage and highly trained, versus those that flourish against the odds with much less support. It would seem that not all of the former are as amiable as the latter.
    Not all state school kids are smart. Look at the grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LisaNikita)
    it IS not JUST about HAVING the GRADES

hahah see what I did there neuro?
    I think you're trying to put others off even trying to apply for Cambridge because you're insecure about your own mediocrity.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to be snobby but I'm just going to say it how it is. How are you underprivileged? You live in England. Oxbridge would rather help a kid in Asia or Africa who HAS ACTUALLY performed well against the odds. There are schools in India with nearly half the students attaining perfect IB scores. More than my school. These are the underprivileged academically brilliant kids Oxbridge wants. Lmao . Come at me. Tell me how you are unprivileged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    I think you're trying to put others off even trying to apply for Cambridge because you're insecure about your own mediocrity.
    Why would I apply for Cambridge when I'm part of ORA

ReputationRep:
    Really hoping this is fake, be jokes if it isn't ngl

ReputationRep:
    :toofunny:

I'm not trying to be snobby but I'm just going to say it how it is. How are you underprivileged? You live in England. Oxbridge would rather help a kid in Asia or Africa who HAS ACTUALLY performed well against the odds. There are schools in India with nearly half the students attaining perfect IB scores. More than my school. These are the underprivileged academically brilliant kids Oxbridge wants. Lmao . Come at me. Tell me how you are unprivileged
    Wrong, wrong and more wrong :dry: Whether or not India's elite are less privileged than Britain's middle class (which make up almost all state schooled applicant base), Oxbridge definitely would not 'rather help a kid in Asia or Africa'.
    You evidently know nothing about Oxbridge Admissions :facepalm:
    Such an oversimplification :pinch:

ReputationRep:
    But what do you mean they know they won't get in? Why are you assuming being "smart" and competitive and going to a state school are mutually exclusive? Why doesn't Oxbridge exclusively contain private school students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    But what do you mean they know they won't get in? Why are you assuming being "smart" and competitive and going to a state school are mutually exclusive? Why doesn't Oxbridge exclusively contain private school students?
    Well Oxford used to have partnerships with many schools including my own but the Labour party and the "unprivileged" followers of the Labour party deemed it unfair. All universities need to be supported by the government.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I apply for Cambridge when I'm part of ORA
    I don't believe you are a part of ORA, if you were then you'd know that making people apply doesn't 'ruin' the whole thing. It encourages competitiveness and gives them a shot at going to one of the best universities in the world.

But that's spoiling it for all the other smart kids isn't it

ReputationRep:
    Not all state school kids are smart. Look at the grades.
    Correct. I didn't say they were. But your insinuation that the private school kids are smarter is horribly wrong. In-fact, you've provided me with an example, right here, as a privately schooled student yourself, by citing grades as a proof of higher intelligence, when it's clear that the private schooling itself, (without even mentioning other social factors such as parental pressure), is responsible.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming this as real, I've some sympathy for the OP. In underslept disappointment I've written some frankly mortifying Emails; these more usually to recently ex-partners than to admissions tutors, but still. And you'd think Cambridge, or anywhere, would have the sense to parse "I hope you'll live to regret this" as suggesting only the lad's determination to prove them wrong in their decision.

Good luck to you pal.

ReputationRep:
    Well Oxford used to have partnerships with many schools including my own but the Labour party and the "unprivileged" followers of the Labour party deemed it unfair. All universities need to be supported by the government.
    That doesn't support your argument. State school students who receive offers need to meet them, and they do. Hence, it was a good idea for them to apply, in contrary to what you said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    I don't believe you are a part of ORA, if you were then you'd know that making people apply doesn't 'ruin' the whole thing. It encourages competitiveness and gives them a shot at going to one of the best universities in the world.

But that's spoiling it for all the other smart kids isn't it
    I'm going this summer. Went last summer. Check their Facebook page I'm tagged. Isn't proof enough but it will rock your boat.

ReputationRep:
    This is incorrect considering the fact that people from privileged backgrounds have higher chances of getting into oxbridge than people from unprivileged or mediocre backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    That doesn't support your argument. State school students who receive offers need to meet them, and they do. Hence, it was a good idea for them to apply, in contrary to what you said.
    Many don't meet the conditional offers I find.

ReputationRep:
    Many don't meet the conditional offers I find.
    Who are you to say who is and is not smart enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    Who are you to say who is and is not smart enough?
    Statistics honey. There is a huge difference between the successful applications and the people who actually applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    And you'd think Cambridge, or anywhere, would have the sense to parse "I hope you'll live to regret this" as suggesting only the lad's determination to prove them wrong in their decision.

Good luck to you pal.
    I understand why they'd see it as a threat, as the rest of the letter was probably no better worded. I can't get over how stupid OP was to write this if it's true, total lack of awareness and it's no wonder they were rejected in the first place. They need to work on their emotional maturity.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going this summer. Went last summer. Check their Facebook page I'm tagged. Isn't proof enough but it will rock your boat.
    The whole point you're trying to make about the fact that most "smart" state school students shouldn't bother applying as they won't get in is false.

Again, I feel your insecurity about people from state schools actually being able to be smarter than those privately-educated is showing. Are you trying to discourage applicants or something/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.