Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LisaNikita)
    It does. An Oxford professor told me it was the ability to handle a heavy workload and take on the challenging nature of the course I wanted to pursue (Physics).
    but if someone gets accepted, then the university deems them able to handle such a workload...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I hold an undergraduate degree and an MPhil from Cambridge, in Sociology... the discipline devoted to analysing, measuring and explaining what 'disadvantage' is. My Masters thesis focused on British working class pupils' perceptions of elite Universities, and on the demographics of Universities Admissions. I worked each year as a student ambassador for the Cambridge Widening Participation team, and I received training from UCAS in my role as a UCAS and Clearing Advisor on TSR each Results Day since 2009 :dry:

First of all, home applicants and international applicants don't compete for places. UK Universities have separate quotas and arrangements for how many places they give to the two categories. Cambridge and Oxford don't have to choose between the so called underprivileged privately schooled kids from foreign countries and state school home applicants.

Secondly, there is research demonstrating that UK state school students perform better at University than their privately schooled peers do.

Thirdly, grades do not reliably indicate intelligence. Which is why both Cambridge and Oxford use a range of different assessment methods in order to judge which students to admit.

Finally, those pupils who do get in from poorer countries tend to be from their home country's elite. And they are most certainly more privileged than Britain's working classes are. Of course this is all moot, since as I said before... 'state schooled' does not mean 'poor' or 'disadvantaged'. Most state school applicants to Oxbridge are middle class. Barely any are working class.

As to how many international applicants get in and what their country of origin is, I don't feel like poring through the specifics. But perhaps you should do that if you want to be taken seriously.

How about you? Because you come across like an international applicant at a private international school. Referring to CNN in another thread earlier today didn't help...

If you don't know about something, frame it as a question. Or at least put 'I think' in front of it. Don't just mouth it off overconfidently. It makes you look really silly. And there are other people on TSR who know a lot more than you or I do about the ins and outs of this. Not least actual Admissions staff from Oxford and Cambridge :facepalm2:
    Then I will get my teacher to contact staff from the Oxford Astrophysics Department. End of Conversation.....

ReputationRep:
    I will look at their grade and tell them whether their application is competitive enough. Why should I lie and get it in their head so they can do stupid stuff like make a STANDARD rejection letter into "art".
    no honey, you're not going to do any of that with your unfounded self superiority

ReputationRep:
    Then I will get my teacher to contact staff from the Oxford Astrophysics Department. End of Conversation.....
    To say what exactly?

I'm really hoping they find your posts here :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by answermenow)
    They forwarded the email to my school and now my head of year is so pissed off... He says Cambridge might even report me to UCAS and this might VOID my medical application. As for what I wrote, was something along the lines of "I hope you live to regret this" and "I have nothing more to add". Need an urgent good apology letter or my life is OVER!!!
    What did the rest of the email say? If it was equally threatening then you need to write a very clear and honest apology to all concerned. You need to write this yourself and not ask other people to do it for you.

Did Cambridge only contact your school about this? As you're an applicant to medicine, I'm surprised they haven't forwarded their concerns to your other university choices. In fact, I would presume they are either trying to do that through UCAS or your school if they aren't able to see your other choices themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    To say what exactly?

I'm really hoping they find your posts here :teehee:
    I'm not stupid. This is half of my real name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    Sorry, what? Do let me know what you're getting at pal

Edit: actually don't bother, you clearly just want an argument and I'm not wasting my time :rofl:
    hahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JickDee)
    but if someone gets accepted, then the university deems them able to handle such a workload...
    Yes well none of my maths courses will count as a "workload". So I need to find other ways to waste my time in year 12

ReputationRep:
    Yes well none of my maths courses will count as a "workload". So I need to find other ways to waste my time in year 12
    what the **** are you on about

ReputationRep:
    You have issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jickdee)
    what the **** are you on about
    did you not just say **** about them wanting a heavy workload
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You do know there are a number of visible and not so visible Oxbridge ATs and staff on TSR?

You should not be surprised at how easy it is for them to match applicants and their TSR aliases. And saying "This is half of my real name" and "I'm applying for Physics" has just made it even easier.

ReputationRep:

Some of that name is real? :rofl:

It's pretty easy to guess who people are when it comes to looking at your applicants and people who post on TSR. And that's just when people are using TSR names completely unrelated to their real ones. With the amount that you like blabbing on here, I would not be surprised if it happens. And believe me... they are watching.

So about that word with your teacher. How is that going to go? 'Oh hi X person at Oxford, remember we had a nice friendly superficial conversation once? You're totally just going to let all the applicants from my school in straight away, aren't you?' If you get in, it will have been because you performed well at all the same tests and criteria that every one of your rivals were put through. Not because of 'connections' or any 'special relationship' you think your school has. I'm sure it works for them to give that impression, as it will attract parents to send their kids to that school. But it has no relation to reality.
    But this is all by the by. My issue with you is how you thought it was a good idea to pass off the misinformed opinions you've picked up from your private school bubble as fact, when in fact you don't know what you're talking about. Don't do that :nn:

ReputationRep:
    neurotypicals

ReputationRep:
    did you not just say **** about them wanting a heavy workload
    i said that if students get in then it means that they can handle a heavy workload

ReputationRep:
    So you're in year 12, you haven't even got your grades yet let alone even applied for either uni and yet you were previously talking about how it'll be easy for you and your privately-educated buddies to get in? Looks like in addition to your insecurity about your skin colour, you also suffer from a superiority complex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You do know there are a number of visible and not so visible Oxbridge ATs and staff on TSR?

You should not be surprised at how easy it is for them to match applicants and their TSR aliases. And saying "This is half of my real name" and "I'm applying for Physics" has just made it even easier.
    It's a catfish account.

ReputationRep:
    Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

ReputationRep:
    neurotypicals
    I'm not neurotypical. But now you've just given another detail about yourself that will make it easy to work out who you are if anybody wants to know :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dindu)
    It's a catfish account.
    I don't have the time and energy. But if you wish

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.