Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a problem. Medicine is what I've desperately wanted to do as long as I can remember but I'm just not good enough at chemistry. Biology, psychology and English a level in predicted a/a* but chemistry a b at a very optimistic stretch. I just can't get it.

I know maybe 3 unis let you study medicine without chemistry but would it limit my chances? Should I go for a biology related undergrad and do medicine post grad (but that's just so long studying, is it worth it?) or should I just give up completely because it's just so unlikely that without being good at chemistry I'd get on well?
    I'm really struggling so any advice would be amazing, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hard to get into medicine as it is, why make it so much harder? Chemistry isn't that difficult if you go over the content, do past papers, mark them and review them with examiner reports

ReputationRep:
    Most (if not all) uni's require Chemistry to study it at uni.

If you really want to do Medicine, see how Chemistry goes, and if you're really finding it tough, it'll just be easier to avert to a more Biology-related one, as you said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophxxs)
    I have a problem. Medicine is what I've desperately wanted to do as long as I can remember but I'm just not good enough at chemistry. Biology, psychology and English a level in predicted a/a* but chemistry a b at a very optimistic stretch. I just can't get it.

I know maybe 3 unis let you study medicine without chemistry but would it limit my chances? Should I go for a biology related undergrad and do medicine post grad (but that's just so long studying, is it worth it?) or should I just give up completely because it's just so unlikely that without being good at chemistry I'd get on well?
    I'm really struggling so any advice would be amazing, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some unis offer foundation courses for medicine where they do an extra year to catch you up on science before you start the actual medicine degree, but they're generally for people who haven't taken any science related courses at a level and are looking to do medicine - I would research this though as I'm not completely sure

Maybe you will get chemistry eventually? My teacher says that one day it will just click and make sense so don't give up!! have you tired physicsandmathstutor.com for past papers and revision notes as they really help me
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Post-graduate medicine is very competitive as well, you'd need to be aiming for a 1st in whatever degree you did and would accrue 3 years of additional time and student debt (£9000 a year of it!), and funding for post-graduate medicine can be a little complicated. And yes, not being able to apply to most of the Universities will limit your chances 'cause you're not even able to apply to the minimum 4, plus you can't target the Unis most suited to your profile. To be honest I wasn't aware that any medical schools don't require Chemistry, but I'm not in the loop any more.

Your best bet is to just work your socks off at Chemistry, if I'm honest. I was also pretty crap at Chemistry but I worked really hard for the exam to secure a decent grade. It's possible to get an A or A* with leg work ++++.

Chemistry is a weird one in that it's not really going to be useful in Medicine itself, but one of the reasons they ask for it is because it's a difficult subject. There'll be lots of memorising and hard work to pass exams in medical school and Chemistry kind of tests if you can manage to do it at A Level. My opinion but I think it's pretty much the truth on this one! Just work super hard, you can do it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.