Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me whether it matters where you went to university if you want to do a PhD? or even masters? Heard mixed opinions

I am currently at quite low ranked university doing an accredited Psychology course. I am doing a lot of work experience and extra curricular including languages and music, on top of everything, I got a First in my first year. I'm not saying I want to apply to Oxbridge but RG would be good, do I have any chance?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by psychologia)
    Can anyone tell me whether it matters where you went to university if you want to do a PhD? or even masters? Heard mixed opinions

I am currently at quite low ranked university doing an accredited Psychology course. I am doing a lot of work experience and extra curricular including languages and music, on top of everything, I got a First in my first year. I'm not saying I want to apply to Oxbridge but RG would be good, do I have any chance?
    What matters much, much more is a) your research proposal, b) your fit with a Supervisor, c) your academic record and d) your references (approximately in that descending order). If you can get all those sorted at at their best, then you stand a chance wherever you studied previously. Extra-curriculars won't matter a jot, unless they are directly relevant.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.