Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in my first year of nursing, and I have recently started doubting myself and whether nursing is the right career for me.
    I left college last year after completing my health and social care diploma, and felt like I had to do something, and felt like uni was the only option. I chose nursing thinking I would find it interesting but just don't feel like I'm enjoying it as much as I should be. I look at others, and they absolutely love the course and placements!
    I'm just so scared of leaving and regretting it - I'm the first to go to uni in my family and they are all just telling me to stick it out. But is a nursing degree really something you can just stick out when you're having serious doubts?
    Help ((

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aim1234)
    I am currently in my first year of nursing, and I have recently started doubting myself and whether nursing is the right career for me.
    I left college last year after completing my health and social care diploma, and felt like I had to do something, and felt like uni was the only option. I chose nursing thinking I would find it interesting but just don't feel like I'm enjoying it as much as I should be. I look at others, and they absolutely love the course and placements!
    I'm just so scared of leaving and regretting it - I'm the first to go to uni in my family and they are all just telling me to stick it out. But is a nursing degree really something you can just stick out when you're having serious doubts?
    Help ((
    This is going to sound really cliche, but you really need to go with what you feel is right. Don't overthink it and don't let anyone pressure you into a decision, your body will tell you if you're doing the right thing or not. At the end of the day, you need to do a degree you enjoy. Maybe stick it out for the rest of the year and see if it improves in any way and then make a decision over summer? Everyone goes through rough patches with their degree at uni, but it usually works out in the end. No one on here can make a decision for you though, only you can know whether you want to do it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thanks for the advice.
    I think I'm going to stick with my gut instinct. I've been really thinking about it and feel that leaving will be the best decision for me.
    I'm only 19 years old, and I'm not 100% sure of what I want from my life and what I want to be doing so I feel that if I leave and work for a year, hopefully I'll be more clear of what I want to do in the future.
    If I had no job right now, I would stay, but I do have a job so it's not as if I'm leaving with nothing else in line.
    Thanks for your advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.