Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey! What's the best current account (non-student)?

I'm currently with Lloyds Bank. Really good service from them, but other than a few cashback offers, they don't offer anything. I'm not earning £1,500 per month yet so I can't get their "Club Lloyds" account, and I only have 1 direct debit, so wouldn't be able to get interest with a Club Lloyds account anyway.

I hold an ISA with Nationwide and have a current account with them which I don't use now. The account was 5% interest, but as I've been with them longer than 12 months, it's dropped to 1%.

I was looking at TSB current accounts. Their minimum pay-in is £500 per month, plus you get 3% interest, and 5% cashback on your first £100 of contactless spend each month... I use contactless a lot!

TSB sounds quite good to me, but is there anyone better?

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like TSB is your best bet. Keep an eye on this page, it is regularly updated with the best current account deals: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...ounts#interest
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Nationwide. I get free travel insurance with mine. Plus a really good deal on credit cards.

Are you willing to pay a monthly fee? The one I have is free btw.

ReputationRep:
    None of the rewards are that good. You may get a few perks or £10 a month interest for a year but is it really worth switching if you are happy where you are?

I'm with Nationwide. I have had dealings with a lot of banks through their credit cards and have found nationwide to be best. They are good on the phone and I like their online banking. All I want from a current account is for them to do the basics well. The gimmicks aren't tempting enough for me.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I found the gimmicks weren't that attractive. I just wanted a bank with decent customer service.

ReputationRep:
    I opened up a nationwide sole and joint account (with my fiance) in order to take advantage of the 5% on the first £2500 (minimum £1000 pay in).

It's free, and I'm now getting 5% on £5000.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.