Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I transfer my study from HK to the UK this academic year and now currently studying AS level and by the time I will apply to universities I would have studied for 2 years of A level of 1 gap year( Due to some age restrictions). I checked most universities they follow instructions according to Education (Fees and Awards) (England) Regulations 2007 (SI 2007, No. 779) and subsequent amendments, as approved by Act of Parliament which states that to be charged 'Home' fee not only should I be ordinary resident these 3 years during the period the aim cannot be wholly or mainly full education so I know A level is full education and so is it not counted and I am now living with a host family due to the place where I study but will these 2 years still count as I will stay with my uncle who is also in UK and continue my study there if my current college had rejected my application. So is that classified as not major purpose?
    Sorry for being a bit confusing and thanks for your attention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brian28msa)
    but will these 2 years still count as I will stay with my uncle who is also in UK and continue my study there if my current college had rejected my application. So is that classified as not major purpose?
    In your case it is not your living arrangements which are crucial, but your reason for being in the UK. Even if you move from a host family to your uncle's home, you will still be in the UK mainly for the purpose of education and your years here will therefore not count as residential years for the purpose of building up an entitlement to Home fees.

My understanding is that if you moved to the UK mainly for your education, then you will always be regarded as an International student and you will never qualify for Home status regardless of how many years you remain here. You could always email the Admissions department of some unis, to check how they are interpreting the law.

ReputationRep:
    I see so will that mean even for my universities years they still treat that as for main education and so the fee status will remain unchanged during my whole degree (i.e I will be treated as international even after universities) because I checked online and I cannot make sure if universities are considered full education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brian28msa)
    I see so will that mean even for my universities years they still treat that as for main education and so the fee status will remain unchanged during my whole degree (i.e I will be treated as international even after universities) because I checked online and I cannot make sure if universities are considered full education?
    That is as I understand it, yes. University does count as "education" for those regulations.

You really need to email some uni Admissions Offices to ask about your circumstances. Each uni is allowed to place their own interpretations on the law and to implement their own additional criteria, but most will follow the letter of the law for the sake of simplicity. You won't know for sure unless you ask.

ReputationRep:
    All right I see many thanks to your advice 🙏🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.