The Student Room Group

Is it worth watching films in IMAX/3D?

As the title says! Do you think it's worth paying the extra money at the cinema, particularly for IMAX? If so, which type of films? Which films have made the most of the special effects that IMAX and 3D offer?
(edited 7 years ago)
Never seen a film in Imax.

Not too keen on 3D. But can't actually see it that well. Am happy enough with 2D.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Never seen a film in Imax.

Not too keen on 3D. But can't actually see it that well. Am happy enough with 2D.

Omg I love 3D Imax
3D and IMAX just tend to give me a headache.
Reply 4
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
3D and IMAX just tend to give me a headache.

!!! :angry: This'll give you a bigger headache:

I mostly see things in 2D because I feel that 3D doesn't add much but if it's a big blockbuster movie (like Star Wars) then if I do see it in 3D it'll be IMAX :smile:
Interstellar in IMAX wins everytime
Reply 7
Ofc it is. Bigger screen, more immersive film experience and keeps you captivated. I only consider IMAX for the very best blockbusters e.g. Star Wars and the Marvel superhero films so I end up watching an IMAX film maybe once or twice a year.
I definitely prefer movies in IMAX, mainly due to the sound system which is by far superior to the average screens. I haven't been totally won over by IMAX 3D yet, mainly because most movies don't shoot in 3D therefore it all depends on how the conversion is (e.g. Avengers: Age of Ultron in IMAX 3D was fairly poor conversion I thought). On the contrary, I did get to see Gravity in IMAX 3D last year and it was pretty amazing.

The best thing I have seen in in IMAX 3D though, was probably Hubble 3D in the National Science Museum (which is one of the few proper 70mm screens remaining in the UK). That was my first IMAX experience and it was awesome.

Shame it's considerably more expensive though.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Dont go for Imax. I go to the cinema all the time and all Imax is, is a large 3D cinema. Go for 3D if your choosing between imax and 3D because imax is so expensive.
However if you want a new cinema experience I reccomend 4DX. Far better then imax and provides a different way to enjoy the film!
I didn't care about 3D, it usually detracts from a film if anything, but IMAX is absolutely worth it when done right. There's no gimmickry behind IMAX like there is with 3D, it's just a recording format which means that the film has been recorded on significantly larger film (or, in the case of digital recordings, significantly larger sensor and resolution equipment), resulting in far greater visual quality, then played through a projector capable of articulating those visual improvements (audio is typically recorded and mastered to a higher fidelity too, and played through a better sound system). As a loose comparison, it's akin to moving from video recorded on your phone to professionally produced DSLR footage, or going from a 540p DVD through your TV's speakers to 4K BluRay and a high end hi-fi system. It's just a wholly improved viewing experience in general.

Interstellar and Mad Max Fury Road are my favourite examples of the benefits of the IMAX experience.

It doesn't make sense for everything though. Greater resolution doesn't matter for romcoms for example, and a poorly produced film could potentially even get worse if they attempt to artificially upscale to IMAX quality during editing. Most importantly a bad film is a bad film and a good film is a good film regardless of format- IMAX can't save a bad film, it can only enhance a good one!

Quick Reply

Latest