Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i was just wondering, for revision purposes, if the textbook with a picture of a girl with green hair(AS)/pink hair(A2) contains all the content necessary for the course? Will I be able to achieve an A if I solely rely on the textbook?

(I'm doing gender, schizophrenia, and aggression at A2 btw)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* at A-level in psych. Can't comment on the particular textbook, but in general, one book is not enough for an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenwings101)
    i was just wondering, for revision purposes, if the textbook with a picture of a girl with green hair(AS)/pink hair(A2) contains all the content necessary for the course? Will I be able to achieve an A if I solely rely on the textbook?

Hiya I use these 2 books for my Psychology course at Sixth Form, the school said to use them in addition to class stuff. I have found them extremely useful and use them solely to revise. i have achieved consistent A/A* since starting the course and I am now in my second year covering gender, schizophrenia and forensic. You should be able to get online access to the book if your school has bought it, but you can buy them from amazon for about 20 quid i think. I love the books as they explain evaluations well and concepts seem easy to grasp to me. Good luck

ReputationRep:

also another thing to note however, i do find these books lack explanation in the topic of biopsychology, so i use class notes for that. It was very good for psychopathology but I cannot comment for your optional modules as I have not yet covered any of them. I've only just started year 2 content and i'm 4 months in to year 13! my sixth form doesnt know how to teach the course so im self studying using these books and getting around 92-100% in all my in class tests. hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I got an A* at A-level in psych. Can't comment on the particular textbook, but in general, one book is not enough for an A.
    That's amazing what other books/sources did you use? Also, do you have any tips on getting an A/A*?

ReputationRep:
    I've found the same. I make my revision notes by starting off with the textbooks (I love that people refer to them as the "pink haired girl/green haired girl", I thought that was just my weird teachers) and then use class notes or the internet if it doesn't fully explain it. One thing that we found over Christmas is that these textbooks don't have an evaluation for fight or flight as they were written for the old spec and we are now on the new spec. Pretty much everything else is the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zozaaaa)
    also another thing to note however, i do find these books lack explanation in the topic of biopsychology, so i use class notes for that. It was very good for psychopathology but I cannot comment for your optional modules as I have not yet covered any of them. I've only just started year 2 content and i'm 4 months in to year 13! my sixth form doesnt know how to teach the course so im self studying using these books and getting around 92-100% in all my in class tests. hope that helps
    Well done and thank you! I may combine my class notes for certain topics, but I do biology so thankfully bio psychology had many crossovers haha. And that sucks, but I'm sure you'll do great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greghayes)
    I've found the same. I make my revision notes by starting off with the textbooks (I love that people refer to them as the "pink haired girl/green haired girl", I thought that was just my weird teachers) and then use class notes or the internet if it doesn't fully explain it. One thing that we found over Christmas is that these textbooks don't have an evaluation for fight or flight as they were written for the old spec and we are now on the new spec. Pretty much everything else is the same.
    Haha, I don't know how else to describe them and thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Well done and thank you! I may combine my class notes for certain topics, but I do biology so thankfully bio psychology had many crossovers haha. And that sucks, but I'm sure you'll do great
    yeah i also do bio, the biopsychology bit is easy if you do both subjects so im sure you'll be fine I would recommend just combing your class notes and book notes and that way you're covered for everything

ReputationRep:
    I think they're both great. I have achieved good grades using these. I wouldn't recommend just using these though, I'd also use your class notes. There may be case studies not covered in these and it helps consolidate your knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AuzzyM)
    I think they're both great. I have achieved good grades using these. I wouldn't recommend just using these though, I'd also use your class notes. There may be case studies not covered in these and it helps consolidate your knowledge
    I will definitely do so, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I will definitely do so, thank you!
    Does anyone have any good resources for issues and debates btw? Because I have no class notes on that, we just copied from the textbook, the same with research methods.

ReputationRep:
    HEY,

Congrats on your A's in your tests, i want to know how you revise because i try memorising but then i end up forgetting and elvel psy is LONG

(Original post by Zozaaaa)
    Hiya I use these 2 books for my Psychology course at Sixth Form, the school said to use them in addition to class stuff. I have found them extremely useful and use them solely to revise. i have achieved consistent A/A* since starting the course and I am now in my second year covering gender, schizophrenia and forensic. You should be able to get online access to the book if your school has bought it, but you can buy them from amazon for about 20 quid i think. I love the books as they explain evaluations well and concepts seem easy to grasp to me. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

im currently doing a2 psy, and i am predicted a B and i got an E and C in tests, I want to know how the poeple getting a's revise ? pls would be great help

taaa loveliess x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hudabubby123)
    HEY,

Congrats on your A's in your tests, i want to know how you revise because i try memorising but then i end up forgetting and elvel psy is LONG
    For in class tests:
    *I summarise the whole topic onto 3 sides of paper at most in note form and test myself
    *I'll start revising a week before for 2-3 hours a night completing past papers and reading over my notes
    * any peels (evaluation) of studies eg limitations and strengths I just write the point on a separate piece of paper and test myself on remembering what the study was about and what the found and then how that's either a limitation or a strength. I'll read my notes in the morning when I dry my hair just before my test

I think it helps that I love the subject and find it so interesting, so many items just go straight into my head and I find it easy to memorise things. I hope that helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.