Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm over 25, living with partner & 2 children, going to start full time with the OU in October. Can I still qualify for a maintenance loan when studying full time through the open uni?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katy28)
    I'm over 25, living with partner & 2 children, going to start full time with the OU in October. Can I still qualify for a maintenance loan when studying full time through the open uni?
    No. The OU is never classed as full time study by the SLC, so you won't get the maintenance loan. You can get the tuiton fee loan though.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katy28)
    Not yet, but maybe in the future. Last year the Government said they'd extend maintenance loans to part-time students and they've recently put out proposals for consultation. If these plans go ahead then part-time maintenance loans may be available as early as 2018, although it is not yet clear whether students who began their degree before then would be allowed to claim it.

https://consult.education.gov.uk/par...tenance-loans/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.