Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well I am going to see my doctor about this acne now, as it's been a problem since I was about 13/14 years old. I'm 17 now, 18 in July, and I have ****ing had it with acne!!! I've tried every *****y product under the sun. 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (many brands), cleansing wipes, ice, toothpaste, baking soda and NOTHING HAS WORKED. I am becoming increasingly depressed I think as a result of acne. It's off putting for girls and I totally understand why would they want to date me when all the other boys have completely clear skin?

But I've had it with acne. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow to find out what can be done and I'm hoping for a prescription. But NOT ACCUTANE!!!! I have read the side effects and I do not want to be suicidal or anything. I have pretty bad OCD and I'm very pedantic. The chances of severe depression and mood swings according to the NHS is 1 in 10,000, but I'm just not ready to accept that risk.

I have A-level exams in June and a uni place to get into. This drug will cause me to lose concentration and motivation (which I already lack) and I just wouldn't be able to deal with it. I know people will say everyone reacts differently but I always think the worst case scenarios. If I fail my exams, I've failed at life is the way I see it see it.

But at the same time time... I want this **** on my face gone. I just pray to god I get something else prescribed because there isn't a cats chance in hell im taking accutane.

Anyone else in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Good luck at the doctors. Can only suggest good food, exercise and self-confidence!

ReputationRep:
    The doctors will try a course of antibiotics first, they helped me massively. The only thing that has really cleared me up is panoxyl (benzoyl peroxide 10%) but I understand that hasn't worked for you?

I always thought my acne was much worse than it is, I literally would skip school if it was bad. Be patient and trust it WILL get better, I'm praying for you because I know just how demoralising this condition can be.

Worst case scenario is accurate. I know it sounds scary but the doctors do monitor you a LOT, and can address the slightest changes. I personally wouldn't take it but I know it's worked wonders for my friends.

Don't hesitate to message me if you want to talk about this, I'm 17 too and know where you are right now x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do it Right)
    The doctors will try a course of antibiotics first, they helped me massively. The only thing that has really cleared me up is panoxyl (benzoyl peroxide 10%) but I understand that hasn't worked for you?

I always thought my acne was much worse than it is, I literally would skip school if it was bad. Be patient and trust it WILL get better, I'm praying for you because I know just how demoralising this condition can be.

Worst case scenario is accurate. I know it sounds scary but the doctors do monitor you a LOT, and can address the slightest changes. I personally wouldn't take it but I know it's worked wonders for my friends.

Don't hesitate to message me if you want to talk about this, I'm 17 too and know where you are right now x
    Thank you so much. This is actually the first time going to the doctors and the highest benzoyl peroxide I've had is 2.5% and all this *****y brands do nothing. I'm hoping they'll prescribe me what you got, but if they try accutane then it's going to take some serious discussion before I even consider taking it!

I'll message you later and tell you how I get on. I've still got to try and get through to the doctors today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artjen)
    Good luck at the doctors. Can only suggest good food, exercise and self-confidence!
    Thank you but it's not as if I haven't tried this. I'm as active as I can be at my age, and my self confidence is plummeting the more this goes on. I've tried multiple changes in diets. I cut my artificial sugar intake by like 70% and even went vegetarian for nearly 2 years but still nothing. Meds are my only option now. Nobody else in my year has it as bad as me!

ReputationRep:
    Abolishing eggs and dairy from my diet made things worse too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrack)
    Well I am going to see my doctor about this acne now, as it's been a problem since I was about 13/14 years old. I'm 17 now, 18 in July, and I have ****ing had it with acne!!! I've tried every *****y product under the sun. 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (many brands), cleansing wipes, ice, toothpaste, baking soda and NOTHING HAS WORKED. I am becoming increasingly depressed I think as a result of acne. It's off putting for girls and I totally understand why would they want to date me when all the other boys have completely clear skin?

But I've had it with acne. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow to find out what can be done and I'm hoping for a prescription. But NOT ACCUTANE!!!! I have read the side effects and I do not want to be suicidal or anything. I have pretty bad OCD and I'm very pedantic. The chances of severe depression and mood swings according to the NHS is 1 in 10,000, but I'm just not ready to accept that risk.

I have A-level exams in June and a uni place to get into. This drug will cause me to lose concentration and motivation (which I already lack) and I just wouldn't be able to deal with it. I know people will say everyone reacts differently but I always think the worst case scenarios. If I fail my exams, I've failed at life is the way I see it see it.

But at the same time time... I want this **** on my face gone. I just pray to god I get something else prescribed because there isn't a cats chance in hell im taking accutane.

They will most likely try you with either antibiotics or a topical cream/solution.

These can really help. Also a good skincare regime. I use a sugar scrub in the shower which really helps my skin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    They will most likely try you with either antibiotics or a topical cream/solution.

These can really help. Also a good skincare regime. I use a sugar scrub in the shower which really helps my skin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi everyone, I've just been to the doctors and I have been prescribed Brevoxyl on trial for 6-8 weeks. Fingers crossed this does something!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I've just been to the doctors and I have been prescribed Brevoxyl on trial for 6-8 weeks. Fingers crossed this does something!
    Hey bro, its funny you should post this because I am actually on accutane right now. I just want to tell you that you shouldn't be so scared of it. Heck, when you read stuff on the internet its incredibly easy to get scared. As you say, the stuff they list: "depression" "liver damage" and god knows what else.... yeah that would scare anybody.

I am in my 20s and got to this point with pretty severe acne. I'm talking whiteheads, large lumps (cystic acne possibly?). It really wasn't pleasant. I tried everything, just like you, but it did not work. I also kept hoping it would fix itself, but that didn't happen for me and it's very unlikely to go away by itself for you either.

The derm said I would be on it for 6 months, I'm a week into Month 4 (so 13 weeks so far) and the side effects I've had are slightly drier lips, dry skin and occasionally dry eyes, so far I haven't had any other side effects, no nose bleeds etc. The results are nothing short of amazing.

It's important to remember, to avoid liability and law suits, even if only one person reports a side effect, it has to be listed. I think it's actually been researched that the depression is due to the acne itself, rather than the medication. People with acne tend to suffer from depression since acne is so horrible.

Sorry for the long post haha. I'm probably biased, and it's totally up to you, but I think if you can't find a fix, accutane is so worth it. Doctors are told to try every "milder" treatment before accutane, but trust me you could mess around with creams and antibiotics forever, for most people they won't help at all unless you have very mild acne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Civik)
    Hey bro, its funny you should post this because I am actually on accutane right now. I just want to tell you that you shouldn't be so scared of it. Heck, when you read stuff on the internet its incredibly easy to get scared. As you say, the stuff they list: "depression" "liver damage" and god knows what else.... yeah that would scare anybody.

I am in my 20s and got to this point with pretty severe acne. I'm talking whiteheads, large lumps (cystic acne possibly?). It really wasn't pleasant. I tried everything, just like you, but it did not work. I also kept hoping it would fix itself, but that didn't happen for me and it's very unlikely to go away by itself for you either.

The derm said I would be on it for 6 months, I'm a week into Month 4 (so 13 weeks so far) and the side effects I've had are slightly drier lips, dry skin and occasionally dry eyes, so far I haven't had any other side effects, no nose bleeds etc. The results are nothing short of amazing.

It's important to remember, to avoid liability and law suits, even if only one person reports a side effect, it has to be listed. I think it's actually been researched that the depression is due to the acne itself, rather than the medication. People with acne tend to suffer from depression since acne is so horrible.

Sorry for the long post haha. I'm probably biased, and it's totally up to you, but I think if you can't find a fix, accutane is so worth it. Doctors are told to try every "milder" treatment before accutane, but trust me you could mess around with creams and antibiotics forever, for most people they won't help at all unless you have very mild acne.
    Thanks for the the message dude. I'm on course with this current med first, we'll see what they recommend after that if it's improved or not. Apparently I am a high-mild, low-moderate case so accutane at this early stage would not be an option anyway!

Thanks again hopefully it fixes soon! Good luck to you too brother

This may not be the most helpful response but i'll add my two cent or whatever the saying is...

I believe this is what my bf was given for his acne and it messed him up. I'm pretty sure it made him depressed and i'm not convinced he's been quite the same since- I don't think you ever are after depression. He started near the start of uni and it was not pleasant for him. He couldn't sleep well, couldn't concentrate, was easy to stress and anger.
    Everything eased up a while after he stopped taking it (maybe a couple of months), but he is not back to normal. It did clear up the acne though and it is a lot less aggressive now (he still get's a bit).

I would advise exhausting absolutely every other option and really weighing up your priorities before trying it. I'm sure it works for some people- otherwise it would be pulled- so you might find it okay, but it can cause some nasty issues. If you do decide to take it please make sure you tell your doctor about any issues as soon as you notice them. My bf didn't get much monitoring from the doctors (if any) so learn from his misfortune.

Good luck. I really hope you can get everything sorted without any nasty side effects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This may not be the most helpful response but i'll add my two cent or whatever the saying is...

I believe this is what my bf was given for his acne and it messed him up. I'm pretty sure it made him depressed and i'm not convinced he's been quite the same since- I don't think you ever are after depression. He started near the start of uni and it was not pleasant for him. He couldn't sleep well, couldn't concentrate, was easy to stress and anger.
    Everything eased up a while after he stopped taking it (maybe a couple of months), but he is not back to normal. It did clear up the acne though and it is a lot less aggressive now (he still get's a bit).

I would advise exhausting absolutely every other option and really weighing up your priorities before trying it. I'm sure it works for some people- otherwise it would be pulled- so you might find it okay, but it can cause some nasty issues. If you do decide to take it please make sure you tell your doctor about any issues as soon as you notice them. My bf didn't get much monitoring from the doctors (if any) so learn from his misfortune.

Good luck. I really hope you can get everything sorted without any nasty side effects
    Thank you for the support! I have been diagnosed with low-moderate acne, and I have been prescribed a topical cream to begin with. I'm not sure whether or not I'd be willing to use accutane if it came to that point. It would take a lot of serious consideration!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently on Accutane and have nearly finished my six month course after severe acne. I was put on every other spot medication out there and nothing worked but this is definitely the best solution. The side effects seem scary but they aren't as bad as people make them out to be or at least that's how I've found it. Dry skin and lips is the worst of it in my opinion but that can be solved with regular use of lip balm and moisturiser. However the first few months mentally were a little bit of trouble but I was having a tough time anyway so it may of just been myself most of the time. I had small bouts of depression at the start of my course (first 1-3 months) and found that anxiety and paranoia was the worst to cope with but as your body gets used to the medication the side effects begin to wear off and I can happily say now my skin is crystal clear without even a blemish. I also want to add that the face can get a bit red but if you want permanent clear skin then this is the solution. It has made my skin immaculate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouise156)
    Hi, I'm currently on Accutane and have nearly finished my six month course after severe acne. I was put on every other spot medication out there and nothing worked but this is definitely the best solution. The side effects seem scary but they aren't as bad as people make them out to be or at least that's how I've found it. Dry skin and lips is the worst of it in my opinion but that can be solved with regular use of lip balm and moisturiser. However the first few months mentally were a little bit of trouble but I was having a tough time anyway so it may of just been myself most of the time. I had small bouts of depression at the start of my course (first 1-3 months) and found that anxiety and paranoia was the worst to cope with but as your body gets used to the medication the side effects begin to wear off and I can happily say now my skin is crystal clear without even a blemish. I also want to add that the face can get a bit red but if you want permanent clear skin then this is the solution. It has made my skin immaculate.
    Surely it returns after the 6 month course? (lots of people have said after the course they were clear, I don't see how that could possibly work)

I was on roaccutane for 6 months. It worked wonders for me - completely cleared up my skin. I didn't have any side effects other than dry lips and skin. However, I uunderstand that if you already have some mental health problems you would be more nervous about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouise156)
    Thanks for your comment! Glad everything worked out well for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    Surely it returns after the 6 month course? (lots of people have said after the course they were clear, I don't see how that could possibly work)
    It all depends on the body weight of the person and how many tablets they are taking each month. My dermo has said that in order to keep the acne away permanently then you must have as many tablets of accutane your body will allow you to. It can vary for each person and the dermo they have, luckily for me mine is very good. I started off on two tablets a day for 2 months, three a day after 4 months and now four a day for 6 months and I'm on an extended course too because because my skin was completely clear after 4 months yet to keep the acne away, she has made me go on it for longer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.