Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody, excuse me if i am repeating the post , however i am new member in the forum. I register in the forum due to the fact that i am graduating this summer and i am quite concerned and skepical in what i am doing next. Currently i am studying BSc Genetics in Swansea university, however througout my dissertation i have figured out that research is not something suitable for me. It might sound weird and questions such as "didnt you know beforehand that geneticists do lab based work" , or "did you realize that in your 3rd year" , may rise . I really do like the material and reading about genetics and biochemistry, but ONLY when it comes to reading . When it comes to lab , an emotion of depression "overwhelms " me. And as far as i know most of the geneticists are destined for research , which is something i would most definetely avoid. What i would like to ask , is if there is any alternative way-route either in engineering or business ?? (i have a couple of things in mind) i consider these two fields more "structured" as jobs, there is a beginning,middle , end. In genetics there just beggining...(job wise). I had meetings with career advisors and they encouraging me to go for a graduate job , however i am pretty determined to entirely change the field of study. Thank in advance for any response.

ReputationRep:
    Become like Thunderfoot the Youtube scientist ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miltos714)
    Hello everybody, excuse me if i am repeating the post , however i am new member in the forum. I register in the forum due to the fact that i am graduating this summer and i am quite concerned and skepical in what i am doing next. Currently i am studying BSc Genetics in Swansea university, however througout my dissertation i have figured out that research is not something suitable for me. It might sound weird and questions such as "didnt you know beforehand that geneticists do lab based work" , or "did you realize that in your 3rd year" , may rise . I really do like the material and reading about genetics and biochemistry, but ONLY when it comes to reading . When it comes to lab , an emotion of depression "overwhelms " me. And as far as i know most of the geneticists are destined for research , which is something i would most definetely avoid. What i would like to ask , is if there is any alternative way-route either in engineering or business ?? (i have a couple of things in mind) i consider these two fields more "structured" as jobs, there is a beginning,middle , end. In genetics there just beggining...(job wise). I had meetings with career advisors and they encouraging me to go for a graduate job , however i am pretty determined to entirely change the field of study. Thank in advance for any response.
    How about teaching? You can do degrees in teaching I think, become a secondary school biology teacher. Because, if you're only really into the theory side of genetics, then you might be limited in choices. But I'm sure there are lots of options out there, but I would recommend doing a post-grad degree. BScs in any subject won't get you very far these days because pretty much everyone has a degree now. Once you have a masters or even a PhD then finding a job will become a lot easier. Maybe google what jobs you can get with a genetics degree and see which ones don't involve lab work, I'm sure there will be quite a few. I feel like teaching would be ideal for you though, unless you hate children of course... haha

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response! I would not mind becoming a teacher and i do like kids , however becoming a teacher in such a young age is like my personal " development" in terms of experiences, knowledge, money as well stay quite moderate, if that makes sense. I would think about that when maybe i reach 40-45 , who knows ! As you said everyone has a Bachelor these days ,and thus i believe it the post graduate has become more flexible . I hope that with genetics background i could be able to go for masters in chemical engineering-biotechnology-biochemistry oriented (still it has a lot of lab) .
    Thanks again for your response

ReputationRep:
    There are a huge range of options for you. Most graduate jobs in say marketing, human resources, even things like law - just require a degree. And genetics is an academic, scientific subject so tends to be in greater demand than arts and humanities.

You'll have to make like hundreds of applications and take what you're given just like anyone else, but they're all options.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miltos714)
    Thank you for your response! I would not mind becoming a teacher and i do like kids , however becoming a teacher in such a young age is like my personal " development" in terms of experiences, knowledge, money as well stay quite moderate, if that makes sense. I would think about that when maybe i reach 40-45 , who knows ! As you said everyone has a Bachelor these days ,and thus i believe it the post graduate has become more flexible . I hope that with genetics background i could be able to go for masters in chemical engineering-biotechnology-biochemistry oriented (still it has a lot of lab) .
    Thanks again for your response
    For information on our postgraduate courses please get in touch with our departments who will answer any questions you may have.

[email protected]

[email protected]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.