Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in my second year of university and have started revising for the finals now. I have always struggled with revision techniques. I would like tips and advice on how other fellow university students study/revise properly using supplementary reading material (textbooks). Lecture notes obviously don't cover everything and only give enough to just pass.

I study a science based degree.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunTiger)
    I am in my second year of university and have started revising for the finals now. I have always struggled with revision techniques. I would like tips and advice on how other fellow university students study/revise properly using supplementary reading material (textbooks). Lecture notes obviously don't cover everything and only give enough to just pass.

I study a science based degree.
    It may be worth specifying further which course you are doing - if you don't want to give an identifyiable course name then fine, but something like Chem Eng or Biology or Physics would be much more useful for giving specific advice.

ReputationRep:
    1. Revision starts in the lecture theatre. You should be making notes about the lectures topics either during the lecture or pretty soon afterwards.

2. Second, you should be supplementing the lecture notes with readings from textbooks or other recommended sources, and making notes on those too. You can also be practising worksheets or example problems depending on the course.

3. When revision time comes, you should be going over material for the third time i.e. it should already be quite familiar. At this stage, it's not good to be reading new stuff. That should have been done already. One strategy is to revise your notes, then put them away and practise some example questions or essay plans without referring to them. Then go back and check against your notes to see what you missed out.

To learn specific content, spaced repetition is a very good technique (e.g. using flashcards): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition

ReputationRep:
    I completely ignore the lectures and I grab the text book the levturer uses. I use that for all revision. I study mech engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    It may be worth specifying further which course you are doing - if you don't want to give an identifyiable course name then fine, but something like Chem Eng or Biology or Physics would be much more useful for giving specific advice.
    Pharmacy

(Original post by chazwomaq)
    1. Revision starts in the lecture theatre. You should be making notes about the lectures topics either during the lecture or pretty soon afterwards.

2. Second, you should be supplementing the lecture notes with readings from textbooks or other recommended sources, and making notes on those too. You can also be practising worksheets or example problems depending on the course.

3. When revision time comes, you should be going over material for the third time i.e. it should already be quite familiar. At this stage, it's not good to be reading new stuff. That should have been done already. One strategy is to revise your notes, then put them away and practise some example questions or essay plans without referring to them. Then go back and check against your notes to see what you missed out.

To learn specific content, spaced repetition is a very good technique (e.g. using flashcards): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition
    Sounds good, how long does a lecture take you, considering that you use text books. I am really slow.

(Original post by gman999)
    I completely ignore the lectures and I grab the text book the levturer uses. I use that for all revision. I study mech engineering.
    Same, I don't get an awful lot from lectures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunTiger)
    Sounds good, how long does a lecture take you, considering that you use text books. I am really slow.
    I would recommend you spend twice as long reading around a lecture as the lecture itself e.g. 2 hours reading and making notes for a 1 hour lecture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    I would recommend you spend twice as long reading around a lecture as the lecture itself e.g. 2 hours reading and making notes for a 1 hour lecture.
    It is very time consuming, it takes me at least 2 hours just to make notes for an hour lecture + I read the textbook chapter. I guess that is just how it is. :banghead:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.