Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I studied Biomed at Imperial and before completing the course I began to suffer severe mental health issues. I was checked into hospital and subsequently withdrawn from the course. The medication had detrimental impacts on my cognitive functions and my physical health- I literally gained 30kg in the space of a few months before which I had no problems with weight. The following year I requested to return to complete the degree but at this point I had lost momentum, confidence and belief. I failed miserably. I have since worked on my health. Stopped taking the God awful medication and my weight is slowly reducing. At this point that is my priority. However planning ahead I do not know what to do. My course was not accredited so I cannot apply to be a Biomed for the NHS. I would like to stay in the field because its the only thing I'm good at. I would like to go into research but I am unsure my grades will allow me.

Help plz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pqu77)
    Hi. I studied Biomed at Imperial and before completing the course I began to suffer severe mental health issues. I was checked into hospital and subsequently withdrawn from the course. The medication had detrimental impacts on my cognitive functions and my physical health- I literally gained 30kg in the space of a few months before which I had no problems with weight. The following year I requested to return to complete the degree but at this point I had lost momentum, confidence and belief. I failed miserably. I have since worked on my health. Stopped taking the God awful medication and my weight is slowly reducing. At this point that is my priority. However planning ahead I do not know what to do. My course was not accredited so I cannot apply to be a Biomed for the NHS. I would like to stay in the field because its the only thing I'm good at. I would like to go into research but I am unsure my grades will allow me.

Help plz
    You have the grades which got you in to IMPERIAL. Hell of a uni (by hell i mean awesome lol). Your first priority should be your health but it is good you are looking at the future. Sadly I don't know much about this topic. In what year of uni did this happen? I am sure you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    You have the grades which got you in to IMPERIAL. Hell of a uni (by hell i mean awesome lol). Your first priority should be your health but it is good you are looking at the future. Sadly I don't know much about this topic. In what year of uni did this happen? I am sure you will be fine
    You know what Thank You. You made me chuckle with the hell bit and the reassurance at the end was nice.

ReputationRep:
    How passionate are you about Biomed? It comes across like you feel that's your only credible option based on capability...

Consider the transferable skills you've gained over the course of your degree and the aspects you enjoy with Biomed, then sit down with your careers advisor and work out other options that could utilise your skillset and keep you genuinely happy.

I'm glad things are looking up for you! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    How passionate are you about Biomed? It comes across like you feel that's your only credible option based on capability...

Consider the transferable skills you've gained over the course of your degree and the aspects you enjoy with Biomed, then sit down with your careers advisor and work out other options that could utilise your skillset and keep you genuinely happy.

I'm glad things are looking up for you! Good luck.
    I personally strongly second that response. Try considering other career options that may be not only close to your interests but where your transferable skills can benefit you the most. Your careers adviser would probably sympathise and be very willful to help.

Last but not least, I'll tell you something through the words of Steve Jobs because it truly means a lot to me personally. Go for what YOU want believing that the dots will connect in the future. Only with THAT mentality can you truly gain the confidence and ambition you need to keep on with your academic career. Match that with your great grades that got you all the way to one of the finest institutions in the world, and you're onto something great buddy. You have a great story to tell already. Hope things get better for you, praying for you from all my heart.

If it may be of any significance, I was predicted to get A*AA back when I was doing A-Levels. Guess what I got? Maybe A*AA? AAA? AAB? No. ABD. Yes, ABD. I had terrible circumstances which don't matter much now but I redid my A-Levels and got AAB, which still wasn't what I wanted but landed me where I want to go. So, what I am saying is, do not worry about what you CANNOT control. Instead, have the ambition to work your hardest again and things will connect in the future. Hope that helped because I usually don't post at all on here!

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the above - there are lots of jobs you can do that are relevant to science but not necessarily research-based, and it would be useful to do a bit of exploring to see if any sound like they appeal to you. Not sure how relevant to the stuff you want to do, but I've been looking at health-related jobs that aren't lab or clinical based and have been looking at e.g. charities, science museums or other organisations, pharmaceutical companies (and you can do lab/research based work there as well). If you live in London still try out some networking - it's the best way I've found to find out about new jobs/areas that I might be interested in.

Don't lose your confidence

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.