Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to marry a French girl. Watch

I'm English, from London - born and bred - but I really don't see myself with a British girl. Nothing against them, though.

French girls are outstanding, and I feel more at home with them. They have class, the looks, the mystery, the voice, the smarts...

I can't afford to head over to France and live there - yet. I need to finish my studies and join the police force (I hope).

Is it wrong that I want a French girl in particular?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with liking French girls

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with it except for the fact that you know nothing about them.

People say similar things about French culture - that it is deep, more intellectual, more elegant - but after having lived in France for nearly 20 years, I have an observation to share: once you speak the language, you're a lot less interested in listening. It is the same for the girls, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I remember a couple of French girls from uni and they were highly into themselves.

For the benefit of yourself and everyone else judge people as individuals not one homogenous group otherwise you'll find yourself sorely disappointed with your friend girls pursuit and in life in general.

(Original post by alcibiade)
    There's nothing wrong with it except for the fact that you know nothing about them.

People say similar things about French culture - that it is deep, more intellectual, more elegant - but after having lived in France for nearly 20 years, I have an observation to share: once you speak the language, you're a lot less interested in listening. It is the same for the girls, I'm afraid.

I know a heck lot about French culture - I spent countless holidays over there in my parents' holiday home.

I also speak fluent French, and I'm afraid I don't feel that's the case - at least for me.

French girls, French culture, French "joie de vivre" is miles better than Britain.

(Original post by Little Popcorns)
    I remember a couple of French girls from uni and they were highly into themselves.

For the benefit of yourself and everyone else judge people as individuals not one homogenous group otherwise you'll find yourself sorely disappointed with your friend girls pursuit and in life in general.
    Lol, that just means you met two stuck up girls who so happen to be French... not a great representation of an entire population.

I'm afraid, for you British girls, my head might be British, but my heart is a stinky chunk of French cheese.

ReputationRep:
    Not for me, but each to their own!

If you want a french girl then go get one - you are limiting yourself somewhat though.

(Original post by FranticMind)
    Not for me, but each to their own!

If you want a french girl then go get one - you are limiting yourself somewhat though.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I can't afford to head over to France and live there
    But if that's something you want to do then better do it before Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)

I'm English, from London - born and bred - but I really don't see myself with a British girl. Nothing against them, though.

French girls are outstanding, and I feel more at home with them. They have class, the looks, the mystery, the voice, the smarts...

I can't afford to head over to France and live there - yet. I need to finish my studies and join the police force (I hope).

Is it wrong that I want a French girl in particular?
    The french seem more passionate. I think love is more like lust over there. So I'd sooner date one than marry one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Lol, that just means you met two stuck up girls who so happen to be French... not a great representation of an entire population.

I'm afraid, for you British girls, my head might be British, but my heart is a stinky chunk of French cheese.
    :fan:

ReputationRep:
    You realise you've just given a description of internationalised people from any country, right?

What you have is an interest in upmarket women which has been focused on French women due to romanticisation, your fluency in their language, and lack of exposure to other similar cultures.

ReputationRep:
    The accent is very nice..

ReputationRep:
    I know a heck lot about French culture - I spent countless holidays over there in my parents' holiday home.

I also speak fluent French, and I'm afraid I don't feel that's the case - at least for me.

French girls, French culture, French "joie de vivre" is miles better than Britain.
    Holidays are one thing, living and working here is quite another. So is trying to have a long-term relationship with a French woman, though you don't have to believe what I say. I am also not disagreeing with your feelings about the joie de vivre. But I've lived here on and off since 1979, so I both love and hate the culture. My kids did well here, even though they are seeking education in GB and they don't plan to come back, if largely for reasons of work.

ReputationRep:
    theres nothing wrong. find a french girl lol. im sure there are some on this island :P
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    oui oui eiffel tower :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    don't we all :moon:

ReputationRep:

"The mystery". :toofunny:

You will be disappointed. French women are not all like the models in fragrance adverts.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    ... and join the police force (I hope).
    In France?

Otherwise, you have 2 challenges: one is finding the French girl of your dreams, and secondly persuading her to leave La Belle France.

Alternatively join the French society at your university - there are likely to be actual French people at it.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

coochie coochie yeah yeah yeah ~
    Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir ...
    :banana:

OP's like..

.-.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.