Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So I'm really stressing right now:

I've already spent about £200 on driving lessons but I've called them off because I don't know how long until I should take my test and I've got exams so I want to knuckle down with revision whenever I have the chance. I'm hoping to pass in summer but what if I don't?!

I don't want to drive at uni but I do want a licence just because once I've got it I can get a car anytime. Part of me just doesn't want to drive at all but would that affect my career prospects? I envision myself being a barrister in a large city like Newcastle or London, and if I can't make that then I'd like to go into banking and finance in London. Is a car really a necessity for me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    No! Especially in London, most people use public transport and you will spend ages driving and lots of money on insurance! I wouldn't bother with the license either unless you need it as you will spend loads on getting one and may end up taking refresher lessons as you've lost confidence or practise.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    No! Especially in London, most people use public transport and you will spend ages driving and lots of money on insurance! I wouldn't bother with the license either unless you need it as you will spend loads on getting one and may end up taking refresher lessons as you've lost confidence or practise.
    Thank you! I've just simply lost interest in it. I have been learning since March last year and really hoped to be driving by now but it obviously hasn't worked out that way. I am nearing my test however I plan to go away to a big city for uni and I don't really want to come back home so I don't think a car is worth it personally.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who is insisting on holding out for self-driving cars :p:

I'm afraid I disagree. I would still try to get it.

I entirely agree that you won't need a car for day to day life if you live in central London... but how can you guarantee that't the case? You're not even at uni yet! Have you ever even lived in a big city before - you post seems to imply otherwise.

Even assuming you do move to a city and never, ever leave - some cities don't have that great public transport. Outside of like 8-6 it can be infrequent, unreliable, and after certain hours just non-existent. I used to commute by train + bus and the number of 45 minute waits I had for a bus was unreal.

Even assuming you're ok with that - what about if you want a trip outside the city? What if you want to visit someone e.g. parents? What if you have children and they need to get to school? What if you have a job opportunity that's just outside the city? Or you want to live just outside the city? What if you want to hire a car on holiday? What if work requires you attend some event somewhere...there are so many possibilities.

Doing driving lessons may be difficult for you, but I assure you it will be way harder at uni and way, way harder trying to do it whilst working 70 hours/week as a full-time barrister. It seems to me that this summer is the perfect opportunity, and that the real reason you're not wanting to continue is anxiety (About driving? About the test?), not a rational thought process like you're trying to kid yourself into having.

But it is, of course, up to you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I have a friend who is insisting on holding out for self-driving cars :p:

I'm afraid I disagree. I would still try to get it.

I entirely agree that you won't need a car for day to day life if you live in central London... but how can you guarantee that't the case? You're not even at uni yet! Have you ever even lived in a big city before - you post seems to imply otherwise.

Even assuming you do move to a city and never, ever leave - some cities don't have that great public transport. Outside of like 8-6 it can be infrequent, unreliable, and after certain hours just non-existent. I used to commute by train + bus and the number of 45 minute waits I had for a bus was unreal.

Even assuming you're ok with that - what about if you want a trip outside the city? What if you want to visit someone e.g. parents? What if you have children and they need to get to school? What if you have a job opportunity that's just outside the city? Or you want to live just outside the city? What if you want to hire a car on holiday? What if work requires you attend some event somewhere...there are so many possibilities.

Doing driving lessons may be difficult for you, but I assure you it will be way harder at uni and way, way harder trying to do it whilst working 70 hours/week as a full-time barrister. It seems to me that this summer is the perfect opportunity, and that the real reason you're not wanting to continue is anxiety (About driving? About the test?), not a rational thought process like you're trying to kid yourself into having.

But it is, of course, up to you.
    The reason I don't want to continue is because I haven't the time! I spend all my time studying! I did decide though after talking with friends since posting this thread that I will book my test for end of August/start of September, and then cram lessons from June onwards.

I don't mean to sound like I'm disagreeing with all of your points, however I have to say that you have based it on a large number of "what if" statements. Before living where I do now, I was in East London, 5 minutes walk from Dagenham Heathway tube station, and so I know full well what public transport is like in a big city. I'm also judging my decision based on cousins' experience who are located in Manchester and London who don't drive and are in similar professions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGBTvoice)
    The reason I don't want to continue is because I haven't the time! I spend all my time studying! I did decide though after talking with friends since posting this thread that I will book my test for end of August/start of September, and then cram lessons from June onwards.

I don't mean to sound like I'm disagreeing with all of your points, however I have to say that you have based it on a large number of "what if" statements. Before living where I do now, I was in East London, 5 minutes walk from Dagenham Heathway tube station, and so I know full well what public transport is like in a big city. I'm also judging my decision based on cousins' experience who are located in Manchester and London who don't drive and are in similar professions.
    Im not passing my test for a ****ing job, yeah thats a benefit but I like going anywhere I want anytime i want. If your not a man for freedom then theres no point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGBTvoice)
    I don't mean to sound like I'm disagreeing with all of your points, however I have to say that you have based it on a large number of "what if" statements.
    What about this question isn't a 'what if'?

I think you need to plan for contingency. Good luck with your test.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by nexttime)
    What about this question isn't a 'what if'?

I think you need to plan for contingency. Good luck with your test.
    Many thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.