Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mexico wall and restricting immigration. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    It's far, far, far easier to defend a small wall than a huge one....
    So you want to spend billions upon billions of taxpayers money on a wall to stop some immigration? Geez...
    Correct, i do and so do the millions of US citizens who voted for Trump.

For the second time:

Out of curiosity, just why do you believe the US should have open borders and allow unrestricted access into the US?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe cooley)
    Correct, i do and so do the millions of US citizens who voted for Trump.

For the second time:

Out of curiosity, just why do you believe the US should have open borders and allow unrestricted access into the US?
    Sigh, you're a broken record.
    I don't think that. I just think building a wall will barely stop illegal immigration and use taxpayers money which could be better spent on things people actually need, like healthcare and education.

How are you planning on funding this wall by the way? Conservative estimates think it will cost at least $35 billion and that's without monitoring it and maintaining it.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh, you're a broken record.
    I don't think that. I just think building a wall will barely stop illegal immigration and use taxpayers money which could be better spent on things people actually need, like healthcare and education.

How are you planning on funding this wall by the way? Conservative estimates think it will cost at least $35 billion and that's without monitoring it and maintaining it.
    Hold on, i don't mind answering anyones questions on here.

But its a two way street,so.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hold on, i don't mind answering anyones questions on here.

But its a two way street,so.

I don't.....
    Not thinking the wall will work =/= wanting open borders.

ReputationRep:
    I don't.....
    Not thinking the wall will work =/= wanting open borders.
    To be clear:

Your only concern regarding the wall is of a financial nature?

OK then.

Yes that is a concern, but somethings are worth more than money.

National security is one of them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    To be clear:

OK then.

No... it's also that it won't work.

ReputationRep:
    To be clear:

OK then.

So do I understand this right?

If you could:

(a) spend $25Bn to employ more immigration agents to catch illegal immigrants throughout the USA who have crossed both the Mexican and Canadian borders; or who have arrived by sea and air; those who are overstayers and those who are smuggled, prioritising those who pose a threat to the USA because they are terrorists and criminals; or

(b) you could spend $25Bn dollars building a wall which would only prevent those minded to cross the Mexican border overland without regard to their relative threat to the US

you would spend the $25Bn on building a wall?

ReputationRep:
    Mexico is going to pay! Duh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    So do I understand this right?

If you could:

(a) spend $25Bn to employ more immigration agents to catch illegal immigrants throughout the USA who have crossed both the Mexican and Canadian borders; or who have arrived by sea and air; those who are overstayers and those who are smuggled, prioritising those who pose a threat to the USA because they are terrorists and criminals; or

(b) you could spend $25Bn dollars building a wall which would only prevent those minded to cross the Mexican border overland without regard to their relative threat to the US

you would spend the $25Bn on building a wall?
    Seriously dude, if you believe employing enough people to cover the entire US/Mexico border 24/7/365 for eternity would be cheaper than a wall, we're done.

ReputationRep:
    #build the wall, make america great again

ReputationRep:
    Seriously dude, if you believe employing enough people to cover the entire US/Mexico border 24/7/365 for eternity would be cheaper than a wall, we're done.
    I didn't suggest more men on the border. I suggested more men in offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, the Napa Valley and New York, raiding pizza parlours, vegetable pack houses, meat processing factories and bars.

Which is it, spend more money looking for the 9 million plus illegals in America or spend the money trying to stop a small proportion of the flow to America?

ReputationRep:
    Well the West Bank wall the Israelis built reduced terror attacks, so why assume a wall along the US/Mexico border won't hinder those planning to cross illegally?

You do understand what a wall is don't you ?
    Ever heard of digging? Or flying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Seriously?

Lets take your logic to its ultimate conclusion.

Illegal immigrants will find ways to enter the US despite measures put in place to prevent them,therefore any measure put in place is pointless.

Don't be so silly.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously?

Lets take your logic to its ultimate conclusion.

Illegal immigrants will find ways to enter the US despite measures put in place to prevent them,therefore any measure put in place is pointless.

Don't be so silly.
    Um, you're reeaally good at putting words in people's mouths, but ok sweetpea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the IT MAN)
    #build the wall, make america great again
    The wall would be the perfect symbol to properly show off your country's ignorance.

The wall is kinda like just putting selotape on something and claiming to have fixed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Um, you're reeaally good at putting words in people's mouths, but ok sweetpea

Oh, i'm sorry i presumed that when you stated:

that you were implying that the wall was pointless because illegals would find ways of circumventing it.

Obviously if that was not your intention, apologies.

What was your intention?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't suggest more men on the border. I suggested more men in offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, the Napa Valley and New York, raiding pizza parlours, vegetable pack houses, meat processing factories and bars.

Which is it, spend more money looking for the 9 million plus illegals in America or spend the money trying to stop a small proportion of the flow to America?
    Ah, the old "cure is better than prevention" ploy.

Call me old fashioned, but i prefer the standard prevention is better than cure method.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, i'm sorry i presumed that when you stated:

that you were implying that the wall was pointless because illegals would find ways of circumventing it.

Obviously if that was not your intention, apologies.

What was your intention?
    No that is what I stated, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try to reduce immigration in other ways. A wall will not solve the problem at all, and it'll cost an arm and a leg to build, AND it'll probably take years. It might not ever even get finished.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the old "cure is better than prevention" ploy.

Call me old fashioned, but i prefer the standard prevention is better than cure method.
    Unfortunately the patient died of cancer whilst you were ensuring he didn't catch a nasty cold.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately the patient died of cancer whilst you were ensuring he didn't catch a nasty cold.
    Heres a crazy suggestion.

Prevention AND cure.

Attempt to stop illegals entering the country and deport the ones that do manage to enter illegally.

Now, who could object to that?

The wall would be a massively symbolic project, it would demonstrate to the world that the US takes its sovereignty very seriously.

More to the point, demonstrate in no uncertain terms that ordinary US citizens have had enough of being abused by the establishment.

Trump needs to get the wall done and bigly !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.