Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats the difference between psychology courses Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For the universities I'm looking at they offer Bsc and Msci courses what is the difference between them and which one would be better? id be really appreciative of any help thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocolate1112)
    For the universities I'm looking at they offer Bsc and Msci courses what is the difference between them and which one would be better? id be really appreciative of any help thanks
    Some places offer a 4 year Msci course where the final year of masters is included in your funding (e.g. Birmingham). Don't get confused with places like Cambridge and Aberdeen where a regular undergraduate degree with an honorary MA title.

These courses are equivalent to doing an undergraduate degree (which you can do anywhere) then applying for a masters afterward.

The main advantage to these courses is that the final year of masters is included in your student loan funding - this was much more important back in the day as your student loan would cover the masters and you're still only paying 3K in fees for it, and there didn't use to be a way to get a student loan for postgraduate studies. Now because the student fees are so high anyway and you can get postgraduate loans i don't think you have to be too worried with applying for an Msci course.

In addition, the masters is only useful if you want to apply for a phd, and if you apply for a phd you can often get a year of masters study included and you get paid during it.

ReputationRep:
    Also, the fees for doing a masters at Birmingham seem to be cheaper than doing a masters included with a phd (its 7K if you apply to do it after undergrad right now) .

ReputationRep:
    thank you that's made my choice a lot easier

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.