Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trump 'to sign orders restricting refugees from Muslim nations' Watch

Announcements

Donald Trump is expected to sign executive orders this week to prevent Syrian refugees and Muslim immigrants from entering the United States. He's also expected to order the construction of his infamous, Mexican border wall on Wednesday.

The president is preparing to restrict access to the country from immigrants, refugees, some visa holders from Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen, Reuters reports, citing congressional aides briefed on the orders.

President Trump’s restrictions will likely include a multi-month ban on admitting immigrants from all countries until the State Department and Department of Homeland Security finalize an "extreme vetting" process.

In addition to the ban, the president will begin rolling out executive actions that include preparations for his wall on the US-Mexico border along with other enforcement plans, according to two administration officials who spoke to The Associated Press.

On the campaign trail, Mr Trump pledged to tighten US immigration policies, including a complete ban on Muslim immigrants from entering the states. He also promised to strengthen border security by building a wall while basically forcing the Mexican government to pay for it. The promise became one of the earliest policies and staple of his campaign.

He eventually softened his stance on both policies while promising to implement a process of extreme vetting for immigrants leaving countries in the Middle East. Come January, the newly elected president’s transition team began asking Congress to push funding for the wall through the country's appropriations budget.

On Wednesday afternoon, the president will travel to the Department of Homeland Security to direct the agency begin construction on the wall and repair fencing along the border. The executive order will also increase the staff at the Customs and Border Protection agency by hiring an additional 5,000 employees.

A second order seeks to eliminate sanctuary cities where governments refuse to hand over undocumented immigrants to federal authorities. CNN reports that it will triple resources for Immigration and Custom Enforcement and direct the feds to identify illegal immigrants in the states.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer told reporters Monday that President Trump would be making his immigration policies a priority in the coming weeks.

"First and foremost, the President's been very, very clear that we need to direct agencies to focus on those who are in this country illegally and have a record — a criminal record or poses a threat to the American people," he said at the press briefing. "That's where the priorities going to be."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7544566.html

For people wondering about the legality of this, it is legal, and he doesn't need congressional approval

http://www.vox.com/world/2016/11/10/...ump-muslim-ban

Candidate Trump was never particularly specific on the policy details of how the Muslim ban would work. But with President-elect Trump set to take office in January, and his pledge to implement the ban on day one now about to be put to the test, the question looms: Will he be able to do it, and if so, how?
    I put that to several experts on US immigration law. Their answer was unanimous: Trump would be able to implement his ban. In fact, he would be able to do it easily. Congress has already granted wide power to the president to alter immigration rules, so he will not need congressional approval. If the ban is designed properly, it is virtually guaranteed to survive court challenges from liberal advocacy groups determined to derail it.
    The president has nearly unchecked authority to ban people from entering the country
    In 1952, Congress passed something called the Immigration and Nationality Act. It has been amended dozens of times subsequently, and currently exists as a 600-page behemoth with lots of very specific rules.
    There is one section, 212(f), that is particularly relevant to the Muslim ban. It sets out criteria for “excludable aliens” — which noncitizens the president can choose, using executive powers, to prevent from entering the United States. Its wording is exceptionally broad:
    Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.
    Translated from legalese: The president can ban whoever he wants, however long he wants, for whatever reason he wants.
    “All he has to do is say ‘I think Muslims are not in the interests of the United States,’” says Stephen Legomsky, a professor emeritus at Washington University School of Law in St. Louis and the former chief counsel for US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

ReputationRep:
    Trump and his trumpanzees are really embracing his "Let's make America a safe space" SJW-inspired ideology.

(Original post by Quantex)
    Trump and his trumpanzees are really embracing his "Let's make America a safe space" SJW-inspired ideology.
    I think it was inspired by someone else...

:fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    There are significant numbers of people in the countries cited that are utterly hostile towards the West. It makes perfect sense to halt immigration from these places and every Western nation should have done so years ago. Would you have allowed migrants from the Axis Powers during World War Two?

The wall is going to be very very expensive venture. I am not sure congress will approve. Tbh the money could have gone to more security personnel at borders. A more feasible and cost effective option.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wōden)
      There are significant numbers of people in the countries cited that are utterly hostile towards the West. It makes perfect sense to halt immigration from these places and every Western nation should have done so years ago. Would you have allowed migrants from the Axis Powers during World War Two?
      Whilst I am no supporter of Trump, I do however concur with this proposal (but, rather than completely halt it, I think it would be better to make the process far more stringent and reduce the overall numbers coming from those locations).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JRKinder)
      Whilst I am no supporter of Trump, I do however concur with this proposal (but, rather than completely halt it, I think it would be better to make the process far more stringent and reduce the overall numbers coming from those locations).
      Why even bother taking the risk? We [the West] do not need these people in our countries, period. If America requires migrants then why not source them from areas that aren't third world hellholes, such as Europe, Australia, Canada and East Asia?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
      Your typical smug and haughty attitude aside, what exactly is it about this policy you object to? Are you saying Trump shouldn't take measures to prevent dangerous Islamic radicals from coming to America?

ReputationRep:
      Trump is actually advocating 'Extreme vetting' of people from these countries.

In practical terms, that means no refugees as they are all-but-impossible to vet.

He's also signing an executive order to implement his wall. I'm hoping he gets as much pushback on these things as Obama did on his executive orders implementing universal health care. I don't hate Trump - I think a few of his nominations have been inspired(Mad Dog and DeVos to be exact). But he's a statist through and through representing a group of people who are ostensibly individualists.

I am extremely uneasy with the way he's centralizing power and the ease with which he's doing it. I don't think he's the problem, though - I think the guy -after- Trump is going to be the scary guy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wōden)
      Why even bother taking the risk? We [the West] do not need these people in our countries, period. If America requires migrants then why not source them from areas that aren't third world hellholes, such as Europe, Australia, Canada and East Asia?
      Again, I agree, we should prioritise migration from these areas. I was more referring to if a specific skill, piece of knowledge, or business connection could only be sourced from one of these regions, then after sufficient vetting they should be permitted entry. For example, if a tech innovator happened to originate from one of these countries (even if it is unlikely), the pragmatic thing to do is to allow them here so that their business may be based here and create jobs and tax revenue for us. However, for people who aren't 'unique', so those with replaceable skills, yes, immigrants in these areas should be sourced from the West, East Asia, Australia etc.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wōden)
      This

ReputationRep:
      Build the wall
      Build it tall
      Deport them all

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wōden)
      There are significant numbers of people born in THIS country who are utterly hostile towards the West. There seem to be a good few even on this Forum.

ReputationRep:
      I notice Saudi Arabia is not on that list.Wonder why? Wouldn't want to annoy them would we?
      To be fair stopping immigration would probably largely solve the Islamic terrorism problem.It would be a lot better though if he restricted access to guns whiles he's at it.But I don't see that happening.
      • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Ladbants)
      Build the wall
      Build it tall
      Deport them all
      Who would you be deporting?
      Refugees, muslims or brown people?
      • Community Assistant
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      any news on if muslim petrolheads who want to see f1 in austin or moto gp at laguna seca (or visit california / new york as tourists) are banned?

personally, I think restricting imigration to non urgent people (Ie those who aren't innocent/ hard-working people from war-torn countries) is a good thing. sad reality is that documents can be forged quite easily and rather unfortunately criminals and terrorists can be mixed easily with the good people.

imo all people from every single country around the world should have their biometric data recorded on worldwide security databases (like airports) and a universal enhanced DBS. your DBS shows your a rapist/muderer/violent offender, you should be denied access to any country unless you are are a proven reformer.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 999tigger)
      Who would you be deporting?
      Refugees, muslims or brown people?
      Everyone
      Whites, blacks, browns, yellows
      Make America Native Again
      • Very Important Poster

Everyone
      Are you American?
      Where would you be deporting all these people to? It seems you would be having people deporting themselves. On that basis even Donald would have to go.

You do say such silly things.

Everyone
        So deport everyone that isn't a Native American?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What time of year is the worst for students?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.