Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Personally I am just fed up with Amazon on many fronts. But I was wondering what happens if they actually banned it. Would that be a good thing or bad thing. I mean the smaller retailers will fill the void. People might return to the high streets but I doubt it. But on the other hand, people will be out of a job. What's your views?

ReputationRep:
    What's the legal justification for it being 'banned'?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Small retailers may return to the fold but let's not forget the simply massive number of jobs that would be gone. Also, not forgetting that many smaller retailers actually may use the Amazon Fulfilment service, so that they don't have to manage their own website to the extent of getting traffic they may through Amazon. Prices would inevitably go up for the consumer I feel, mainly because at the moment Amazon is such a force that the retailers need to be competitive, but without Amazon's presence, they could become more lax.

On a more personal note, that would mean TGT gone... Prime gone (which I use all the time), easy cheap stuff delivered quickly, gone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    On a more personal note, that would mean TGT gone... Prime gone (which I use all the time), easy cheap stuff delivered quickly, gone...
    TGT being gone would not be that bad, it was over scripted and lack much of the "banter" charm that TG had. It was in short, a massive disappointment.

However Prime being lost would be a national tragedy.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    TGT being gone would not be that bad, it was over scripted and lack much of the "banter" charm that TG had. It was in short, a massive disappointment.

I wouldn't say it was a massive disappointment, but definitely isn't as good as they were when on TG!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it was a massive disappointment, but definitely isn't as good as they were when on TG!
    May not have been for you, but for me it most certainly was. They worked better with a limited budget and even limit on what they actually do and say. It is like a child being given complete free reign and not knowing what to do with this new found freedom.

Perhaps they can improve though.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    May not have been for you, but for me it most certainly was. They worked better with a limited budget and even limit on what they actually do and say. It is like a child being given complete free reign and not knowing what to do with this new found freedom.

Yeh, wouldn't disagree with that!!

And yes, I think/hope that when they've settled into in season 2 a bit more it'll be much better!
    • Very Important Poster

Cant see why you should ban them yet, but internet companies wich do business in the UK market should pay UK tax because otherwise they get an unfair advantage of those who do pay UK tax and contribute to the nations coffers.

They did £5.3 billion of UK sales, but channeled most of it through Luxembourg so they ended up paying £11.9m in tax.

there would be an outcry though because people are more concerned with TGT or prime than they are with whether it has to pay tax or not.

ReputationRep:

I thought it carried on pretty well from the last couple of series of TG - a little tired, a little repetitive.

Still fun, but not as fun as it was in the early days.

TG hasn't been 'really good' since about series 18. It's never been bad, but it wasn't as good as it was when it got killed. And now TGT is carrying on with that. Not bad, but not brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I thought it carried on pretty well from the last couple of series of TG - a little tired, a little repetitive.

Still fun, but not as fun as it was in the early days.

TG hasn't been 'really good' since about series 18. It's never been bad, but it wasn't as good as it was when it got killed. And now TGT is carrying on with that. Not bad, but not brilliant.
    That is in part true, they weren't quite as good getting into their later seasons. But it seems to me that TG has taken to over the top bravado and increased it 10 fold leaving no doubt that everything is scripted. I always felt before that a lot of it was scripted but there was still some genuine personality showing through.

But I may just be a lot more cynical than I was before.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_Jon)
    Personally I am just fed up with Amazon on many fronts. But I was wondering what happens if they actually banned it. Would that be a good thing or bad thing. I mean the smaller retailers will fill the void. People might return to the high streets but I doubt it. But on the other hand, people will be out of a job. What's your views?
    it would be a bad thing because TSR would have to stop giving out Amazon Vouchers for winners in competitions

*the horror...*

ReputationRep:
    many fledgling authors rely on Amazon to self-publish for free.

ReputationRep:

Prime has got me out of many a scrape regarding presents that should have been bought weeks ago and the like... It's also good for stationery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Prime has got me out of many a scrape regarding presents that should have been bought weeks ago and the like... It's also good for stationery.
    It is indeed very good for stationary, a quality of fineliner pen.

Prime has been my saviour on many occasions, it is a great service.

ReputationRep:
    Small retailers may return to the fold but let's not forget the simply massive number of jobs that would be gone. Also, not forgetting that many smaller retailers actually may use the Amazon Fulfilment service, so that they don't have to manage their own website to the extent of getting traffic they may through Amazon. Prices would inevitably go up for the consumer I feel, mainly because at the moment Amazon is such a force that the retailers need to be competitive, but without Amazon's presence, they could become more lax.

mobbsy is bang on here!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. I quite like Amazon. I get annoyed at their customer service sometimes but I love the concept. They've taken online retail to a new level it's all just so quick and easy, it's convenient. You'd be damagaing producers and sellers by banning it, a lot of stuff I get from Amazon are things I probably wouldn't have got from the high street and even still Amazon beats them on price.

ReputationRep:
    That is in part true, they weren't quite as good getting into their later seasons. But it seems to me that TG has taken to over the top bravado and increased it 10 fold leaving no doubt that everything is scripted. I always felt before that a lot of it was scripted but there was still some genuine personality showing through.

But I may just be a lot more cynical than I was before.
    Personally I think you're right on the money, the show isn't a patch on what it was on the Beeb and it's mainly because that show had a lot of whimsy and nice British irony in it and gentle humour, the Amazon show is basically the same with all the nice bits surgically removed.

ReputationRep:

Many of those retailers are not so small - most of the market place stuff on Amazon now is coming from big, organised, automated operations with large workforces of low paid workers - Amazon is basically fronting a lot of modern day sweatshops.

What it has done is deleted bookshops from most British high streets, which isn't a pleasant thing, although it was perhaps inevitable in the internet age and if it wasn't them, it would be someone else.

What really sucks is the way they are engineered to pay little or no tax and the way governments have conspired to create those situations. They offer little net benefit to the economy (other than, in some cases, cheaper retail commodities - this differential is increasingly marginal given their market dominance now) and I suspect have caused an overall drop in UK employment, combined with an overall reduction in government tax revenues.

If that's the model going forwards for all digital retailing, it's not going to be of much general benefit other than to the convenience of the consumer. It will be a long time before we see much net economic gain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Personally I think you're right on the money, the show isn't a patch on what it was on the Beeb and it's mainly because that show had a lot of whimsy and nice British irony in it and gentle humour, the Amazon show is basically the same with all the nice bits surgically removed.
    Not even surgically removed, closer to ripped out by a hamfisted baboon.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.