Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Since when did democracy mean that you had to agree or shut up? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've seen so many posts on facebook (and a few on here) in the comments section of normal new pages saying things about Trump such as:

"He won the vote so you need to stop campaigning against him because you are campaigning against democracy!!!!"

or about Brexit:

"Democracy has spoken so stop whinging and deal with it!!!"

Why is there a sudden trend to call people protesting the result of an election/poll out of a difference of opinion undemocratic? Especially when one was not even won by the popular vote and the other was won by a small margin... are people just supposed to act like they don't exist as soon as the other side "wins"? They still have a right to let their voices be heard and show the government that they still exist so that their opinion can be accounted for too! That's what democracy is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)
    I've seen so many posts on facebook (and a few on here) in the comments section of normal new pages saying things about Trump such as:

"He won the vote so you need to stop campaigning against him because you are campaigning against democracy!!!!"

or about Brexit:

Why is there a sudden trend to call people protesting the result of an election/poll out of a difference of opinion undemocratic? Especially when one was not even won by the popular vote and the other was won by a small margin... are people just supposed to act like they don't exist as soon as the other side "wins"? They still have a right to let their voices be heard and show the government that they still exist so that their opinion can be accounted for too! That's what democracy is.
    Because the people campaigning are hypocritical.
    Everyone's Ok with the electoral college until someone they don't like benefits from it and everyone is also Ok with a majority wining vote until what they voted for doesn't win.

Both of them were based on a democracy vote, refusing to accept that and changing it because it didn't go your way would make it a dictatorship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)

or about Brexit:

It's a fair point, but with brexit, a lot (though not all) of the anger is directed at the sort of remain voters who called for a second referendum the day after they lost the vote, and who call on parliament to just ignore the referendum and keep us in the EU anyway. There are people out there campaigning for exactly this and I've seen opinion pieces in places like the Guardian saying the same sort of stuff as well. These are the sort of people most brexiters mean to target when they say "you lost, deal with it".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)

or about Brexit:

They are free to criticise and critique. However, one shouldn't be able to override a democratic action just because they didn't get what they wanted, unless those campaigning to override are in a majority. (a pretty rare occurrence) A revote is different, but what is the point in a revote when the vote wasn't close?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    It's a fair point, but with brexit, a lot (though not all) of the anger is directed at the sort of remain voters who called for a second referendum the day after they lost the vote, and who call on parliament to just ignore the referendum and keep us in the EU anyway. There are people out there campaigning for exactly this and I've seen opinion pieces in places like the Guardian saying the same sort of stuff as well. These are the sort of people most brexiters mean to target when they say "you lost, deal with it".
    I think the reason some people called for a second referendum is not because they want to defy the will of the British people, but because they're not sure that the result of the first referendum genuinely reflects the collective will of the British people.

If Brexit really is what Britain wants, then a second referendum will simply yield the same result, and Leave voters will all be sat with smug looks on their faces. However, due to various factors such as:
    • The great deal of misinformation provided by the Leave campaign
    • The surge in Google searches for "what is the EU" after the referendum had already taken place
    • The number of people admitting to have just voted Leave in protest rather than genuinely wanting to leave
    • The number of people admitting to voting Leave for completely unrelated reasons (e.g. keeping Muslims out)
    • The fact that people voted to leave without any idea what sort of alternative deal or arrangement might be put in place instead
    • The economic shocks resulting from the mere suggestion of leaving even before Article 50 has been triggered
    • The number of people who wanted to Remain but foolishly assumed that the prospect of leaving was so far-fetched that they didn't vote
    • The extremely narrow margin by which Leave actually won

There's plenty of evidence to suggest that, in spite of the referendum result, leaving the EU may not have been (or may no longer be) a true reflection of the collective will of the British people.

Personally I don't think it makes sense to have a second referendum on whether or not we should actually trigger Article 50, because that's a slippery slope leading to third, fourth, and fifth referendums with no end in sight. But I can see where the sentiment comes from, and that it need not necessarily be based on anti-democratic values.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.