Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Landlord is Demanding a copy of the Key?? Watch

I moved in in August with three other guys and I can't remember if he has a copy of the key or not but he rents to us through an agency. His family lives in Scotland and he doesn't come down here very often cos its like 5 hours away.

Recently the agency's had to send a couple of people round to check the electricity meter etc. which means someone has to be in. There has ALWAYS been someone in (the other guys are Philosophy students so nearly in all day) we've never hassled landlord about rearranging this.

But he's kept on asking for us to give agency a copy of the front door key for the agency for "good practice" and emergencies?? Weve just said no so far.

I don't want to give them a copy even despite the cost (only about £10 I know) because we're renewing it in mid February and it's an attractive place so worried the landlord/agency might start looking for a new tenant which the key would enable them to do more easily. Plus we just don't want them having random access to our flat :rolleyes:

Help.. 999tigger I know this is ur thing lol
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I moved in in August with three other guys and I can't remember if he has a copy of the key or not but he rents to us through an agency. His family lives in Scotland and he doesn't come down here very often cos its like 5 hours away.

Recently the agency's had to send a couple of people round to check the electricity meter etc. which means someone has to be in. There has ALWAYS been someone in (the other guys are Philosophy students so nearly in all day) we've never hassled landlord about rearranging this.

But he's kept on asking for us to give agency a copy of the front door key for the agency for "good practice" and emergencies?? Weve just said no so far.

I don't want to give them a copy even despite the cost (only about £10 I know) because we're renewing it in mid February and it's an attractive place so worried the landlord/agency might start looking for a new tenant which the key would enable them to do more easily. Plus we just don't want them having random access to our flat :rolleyes:

Most landlords (and agents) would have a spare key, but they can't just turn up and let themselves in unannounced.

Also, if you are a good tenant why would they necessarily want to get a new tenant in? It costs time and money to find new tenants, and there's always the risk they won't be a good as the one they already have.

I'd recommend offering a spare key (because it may be useful in an emergency and because you are a nice tenant ) and telling them the cost.

ReputationRep:
    Its up to the landlord to pay for a key, not the tenant. I find it very odd the landlord does not have a key to his own property.
    • Very Important Poster

Give them the key.

Read your contract, there should be a clause in there which says they are allowed to come and do inspections or have access if they give 24-48/72 hours norice. This is quite standard and strikes a blance which prevents the LL calling by whenever they want. The notice point is the key thing and that should be the agent.

What you arent taking into account is it is his property and you are just tenants, so if he wnats to let it to someone else, then thats his perogative. Your logic behind him not having a ket doest stack up as he could simply change the locks. Its in your best interests to have a good relationship with the LL (maybe you can get him to reimburse you for the key) and then he will see you as good tenants and be less inclined to find someone else.

He should have a key anyway for emergencies.

ReputationRep:
    (the other guys are Philosophy students so nearly in all day)
    haha!
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    1) He is entitled to a key, but you are not obligated to pay for it.
    2) By being awkward about this you make it far more likely that the landlord will want to get new tenants than if you were reasonable.
    3) As said, they would have to give you X notice before coming. Usually this is 24 hours, sometimes it is longer.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with all that's been said. The landlord is entitled to hold a key, but it's odd that the agency doesn't already hold on - I suspect the agency key has been lost somehow. It's not reasonable for the agency to expect you to have to pay for the duplicate, so be sure to get a receipt and to ascertain that the agency/landlord will reimburse it before having it cut. Apart from that, by being a coöperative tenant, you increase, rather than decrease, the likelihood of having the tenancy renewed. And it's not like the agency is going to come barging in unannounced - they have no legal right to do this, except where there is some emergency.

ReputationRep:
    There's no reason for them not to have a key. I've never lived in a rented property where the building owner/company letting it haven't been able to access the apartment, it's very normal. You shouldn't be paying for it out of your own pocket so you should let the landlord know you'll be deducting the cost of a key from your rent (I know it's only £10 but it's the principle and you're having to sort it out yourself when this sort of admin is his responsibility not yours).

It should state in your contract when and how they can gain access to your property, usually this is with a minimum of 24 hours notice, sometimes longer. If you can't see anything to this affect by all means get the landlord to agree to something in writing before handing over a key (although I think you are protected by general renters rights here).

I doubt it will affect them looking for a new tenant, if you're good tenants they have no reason to waste lots of time searching for someone who might not be.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Interestingly it's not a legal requirement for the LL (or agent) to have a key despite it being their property, but it may be a contractural one depending on the terms of the tenancy and/or it just makes sense anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.