Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In desperate need for tips with English Literature essays. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I've regretted taking English Literature back when applying to Sixth Form, but it is far too late to cry over spilt milk.

Right now, my priority is to get at least a B for my final A-level exams. Coursework is all nice and dandy, with prediction that I will get an A, but exams and essays are my Achilles' Heel.

Whether it be comparing poetry, prose, or analysing stagecraft within drama, I have struggled and tend to achieve a C at best. My essay writing in other subjects - History and Sociology - is great, which simply frustrates me more that English does not work out.

How in heavens do you wonderful people structure your essays? Are there any websites which you refer to for help? How to interweave comparison in Prose/Poetry, and Critics' views in Drama? Also, how do you revise for English Literature exams, whilst there are so few facts to know?

Thank you deeply in advance.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry you didn't get a response quicker.

With poetry, you can write annotations and circle words and say what it means or what the author is trying to portray. You can search for the quotes online to find what certain phrases or words mean as well.

Tagging Rhythmical as she's currently doing A-Level English lit and may be able to assist further.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.