Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just wanted to ask about what I should do towards an RAF career, I failed my CBAT (WSOp) and not sure what I should do now, do I wait a year and try again? Or should I apply for an airman role and then commission or try again for WSOp in a few years? Just want to hear some advice.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFC26)
    Hi, I just wanted to ask about what I should do towards an RAF career, I failed my CBAT (WSOp) and not sure what I should do now, do I wait a year and try again? Or should I apply for an airman role and then commission or try again for WSOp in a few years? Just want to hear some advice.

Cheers
    What do you want to do?

In your paragraph above you're talking about 3 separate roles and careers, each quite different.

It's pointless us giving you advice at this point, you know your life and your aspirations far better than anyone else. We can advise the best path to get somewhere, but if you don't tell us where you want to go, nobody can help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    What do you want to do?

In your paragraph above you're talking about 3 separate roles and careers, each quite different.

It's pointless us giving you advice at this point, you know your life and your aspirations far better than anyone else. We can advise the best path to get somewhere, but if you don't tell us where you want to go, nobody can help.
    Ok so what route should I take as I would like to eventually end up working on aircraft?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFC26)
    Ok so what route should I take as I would like to eventually end up working on aircraft?
    Doing what?

Fixing them, their engines, their computers, cleaning them, telling them when to take off, working on board, flying, for the RAF, RN, civilian...?

How close did you get on the WSOp CBAT? What guidance did they give you about trying again later? What role do you most want and see yourself doing?

You're not giving us much / anything to go on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Doing what?

Fixing them, their engines, their computers, cleaning them, telling them when to take off, working on board, flying, for the RAF, RN, civilian...?

How close did you get on the WSOp CBAT? What guidance did they give you about trying again later? What role do you most want and see yourself doing?

You're not giving us much / anything to go on.
    id like to work on bored the aircraft as a WSOp or something very similar I wasn't far off passing it but I was told that it's probably Down to my age as I'm only 17 so my aptitude still can improve over the next 5 years but they didn't say anything about going in as another role and working my way up or anything like that. At my CBAT there was a lad who is a mechanic already in the RAF and he was trying to become a pilot, is there a way of going in in one role and "move up" to WSOp or would I have to do the same as him and re apply for the role?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFC26)
    id like to work on bored the aircraft as a WSOp or something very similar I wasn't far off passing it but I was told that it's probably Down to my age as I'm only 17 so my aptitude still can improve over the next 5 years but they didn't say anything about going in as another role and working my way up or anything like that.
    So go away, improve yourself, prove that you've got leadership potential, make sure your fitness is great, keep working yourself mentally to improve your scores. Have the evidence that proves you're a well-rounded individual who'll be an asset to the RAF.

How you do that is entirely up to you. There's no wrong answer. But you have to do it.

At my CBAT there was a lad who is a mechanic already in the RAF and he was trying to become a pilot, is there a way of going in in one role and "move up" to WSOp or would I have to do the same as him and re apply for the role?
    Possible, but not guaranteed. What happens if you do that but then don't make it? It's much harder to do that than it is to go in direct.
    Ie, if there were ten applicants from 'the real world', 5 might make it, whereas if there were 10 applicants from within the RAF they might only take 1, or less.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.