Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm currently studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Birmingham. I'm in my first year, second semester.
    So far, I am not enjoying the course because of its heavy physics involvement. Throughout my a levels, I pretty much only had motivation to practise maths and further maths and found it very fun and interesting. I was never bothered to practise physics. I don't like remembering things, I like to work things out instead.
    A levels - Maths:A, Further Maths: B, Physics: B.

I am afraid, entering second year engineering, I will not be motivated to do any work as I am not enjoying the course.

I was wondering whether it gets better and less physics involved?
    To quit now and enter maths? Which I already know is a different to a levels. How do I know if I would enjoy it?

I would also say I much prefer to work by myself than in a team.

Any thoughts guys? I look forward to hearing your responses.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resonxnce)
    Hello,

I'm currently studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Birmingham. I'm in my first year, second semester.
    So far, I am not enjoying the course because of its heavy physics involvement. Throughout my a levels, I pretty much only had motivation to practise maths and further maths and found it very fun and interesting. I was never bothered to practise physics. I don't like remembering things, I like to work things out instead.
    A levels - Maths:A, Further Maths: B, Physics: B.

I am afraid, entering second year engineering, I will not be motivated to do any work as I am not enjoying the course.

I was wondering whether it gets better and less physics involved?
    To quit now and enter maths? Which I already know is a different to a levels. How do I know if I would enjoy it?

I would also say I much prefer to work by myself than in a team.

Have a look at the units (and amount of freedom of choice available) in second and third year. I n my maths degree at Bath, I found that first year was okay-good, second year sucked and third year looks good in terms of unit choices.
    As for whether you'll like maths.. look up some things like algebra/analysis, see some notes on t and look at university level questions and how they are solved and see if it's your thing, also if you decide to do maths look for a uni with nie choices, like if you can decide to do lots of stats, finance modules etc rather than algebra/analysis if you wish.

Exeter has some lovely things on renewable energy, marine biology etc ( I think 😂) that maths students can study.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resonxnce)
    Also, have a look at Bristol's Engineering Mathematics (MEng or BEng)
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...eng-eng-maths/

(Original post by SeanFM)
    Exeter has some lovely things on renewable energy, marine biology etc ( I think 😂) that maths students can study.
    Indeed: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergradua...-bsc/#Overview

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.